Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Another flare up for Butchie :(

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My lovely boy was all out of sorts yesterday and I knew straight away he wasn't right. Caught it early, straight to the vet this afternoon, no conjunctivitis and not in his chest at least! Antibiotics for 2 weeks and Bisolvon, and hopefully that'll be that, until next time :rolleyes: We seem to be on a 6 month cycle between flare ups, last time was in June. And here's a picture, just because... :giggle:

20191202_212220.jpg

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Kudos...what symptoms lead you to know something was off?

Hmm, good question... He just seems slower and a bit sluggish at first, and when he sits dozing and opens his eyes, the third eyelids take longer to go away. And the snot in his nose starts getting thicker, and he doesn't bother sneezing it out. Sounds kinda vague probably, but I know him so well after watching him so closely for 1,5 years. As well, after 6pm is his active time, and if he's not bothered then, I start to worry.

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
How is Butchie doing today?

He's almost bounced back to his usual self already, thank you for asking! :giggle: I knew straight away, but as usual I said to my husband, "I don't think he's well..." and he went "You think? He seems okay, just sleepy..." And then half hour later "oh, youre right..! Vet tomorrow" :ROFLMAO: I know my baby!

Butchie's main problem now though is boredom... *sigh* But same for all of us! Just waiting and waiting for the purchase of our house to be completed. Hoping to have a completion date this week, but it'll probably be next week, since we have the most useless solicitor :0: (

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
He is gorgeous! Good job catching it quickly!

Practice makes perfect! I've learned the hard way though... one year ago he ended up in hospital for 2 days on a drip, lying on ice packs to get his temperature down, because I didn't spot soon enough that he was poorly :  ( Been super vigilant for any of the signs ever since!

Sheldon13

Staff member
Practice makes perfect! I've learned the hard way though... one year ago he ended up in hospital for 2 days on a drip, lying on ice packs to get his temperature down, because I didn't spot soon enough that he was poorly : ( Been super vigilant for any of the signs ever since!

It’s amazing how observant you are! You are surely sparing him a lot of misery by catching it early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fayiza

Lairian
Poor Butchie! But lucky he has such an intuitive mommy! I missed the first post, what kind of flare up is he prone to having? Is it a seasonal allergy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Poor Butchie! But lucky he has such an intuitive mommy! I missed the first post, what kind of flare up is he prone to having? Is it a seasonal allergy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, he has chronic cat flu symptoms. When we first picked him up as a kitten I noticed a very slight sniffle, and well,... it never went away! :confused: It's been a long drawn-out affair ever since, of trying to figure out what's causing it and what meds might help improve it. He had tests which came back positive for Mycoplasma, but now I think it's probably a virus. I think so because he was on an extended 4 week course of Doxycycline, the main antibiotic used to treat Mycoplasma, and it didn't help.

It's just a case of managing his symptoms, since if it's a virus, there is no cure... Occasionally he has a flare up which means a secondary bacterial infection gets a hold, and it seems to be happening about twice a year on average. Day to day we just deal with a constantly snotty nose, and he has days where it's better and he's not too congested and can sneeze it out easily, and other days not so much. We have dried snot all over walls and floors :0

Back