Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Another Sphynx.. What kind?

lexin77

Lairian
I have been away from this site for too long!!
Way too busy at work but time is flying tonight catching up on posts.
LOVE this site...

Anyways. I am in the market for another sphynx.
I do feel bad for my little Ripley when I am at home all day.
I want to get another to keep her company..
Question is boy or girl.
She is a girl. I have heard that boys spray even after fixing them.
Does anyone have an opinion? How long will it take her to warm up to the new one as well..
And is one litter box enough for the both of them?

It will probably be end of March until the newbie arrives but want to figure this out now...
I thank you all for the contributions and making this site a wealth of knowledge!!

Attachments

• 2_2310.jpg
    2_2310.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 29

RoobasMommy

Lairian
Rule of thumb is one more litter box than cat. But two should work fine unless you encounter problems. If you end up having any problems, add another, in a different location.

As for the males spraying...Usually fixing a cat will not stop them from spraying if they have already started. I can say that my male (who is estimated around 6yrs old) was only neutered around 4-5yrs and he has not sprayed in my house ever. But, to avoid it all together, you can always get Feliway diffusers.

No good advice on whether to choose male or female. Everyone has there own preference :)

Good luck on picking the perfect playmate for your girl!

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
You know- I've heard a male that sprays will not stop spraying when neutered, but my male Sphynx stopped as soon as he was neutered and many breeders have noted privately on breeder lists that their males have stopped spraying when neutered and petted out. So I'm not sure how 'true' this actually is. Maybe if the cat is a major hoser, but most are spritzers- here, there, etc.

As for what kind- I really think a male/female combo is the best in most situations.

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have been away from this site for too long!!
Way too busy at work but time is flying tonight catching up on posts.
LOVE this site...

Anyways. I am in the market for another sphynx.
I do feel bad for my little Ripley when I am at home all day.
I want to get another to keep her company..
Question is boy or girl.
She is a girl. I have heard that boys spray even after fixing them.
Does anyone have an opinion? How long will it take her to warm up to the new one as well..
And is one litter box enough for the both of them?

It will probably be end of March until the newbie arrives but want to figure this out now...
I thank you all for the contributions and making this site a wealth of knowledge!!

Hi.
Boy don't spray after being fixed... Well, normally they don't. There are a certain %age that do sometimes but it's quite rare. Had more than 10 males some fixed late even, none ever sprayed after. Especially if you fix him reasonably early.
Male or female doesn't matter. I'd just pick the one I fell for.

One litter box is fine for two cats if you're at home every 12-18 hours or so to clean it. I only use one for my two.

About getting used to eachother it can take 2 hours or 2 weeks but usually a couple of days. Before they start to actually sleep cuddled up against eachother might be a bit longer. There are those who never really become close friends but with Sphynxes that doesn't happen very often. Sooner or later they will realise that 1+1=3 when it comes to heat :Wink:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have 2 girls and a boy.
Polar the boy picks on my girls and has tried to hump them eve though he is altered.
He is a very nice cat otherwise.
It depends on the cat how long it takes for them to become friends.
It took Cleo 3 weeks to like Wrinkles and now they are best friends.
My Sasha excepted all my sphynx but she still hisses at my new Bombay.
My boy is a alter and does not spray but my brothers 2 boys do spray.
Hs boy Ash was altered at 3 months.
It depends on the cat.

TotenEngel

Banned
Again, for the last 20 years I have had nothing but boy cats, mostly rescues so some haven't been castrated until much later in life.
The only spraying incidents I have had was when I moved into my current place, with 3 boys there was a couple of accidents but they were both in the first week of moving and it never happened since.
Castrating earlier prevents them getting into the bad habits in the first place if you can do it!

ktate88

Banned
Niles my 7 month old male has never sprayed, or had any accidents. He has one litter box and has a travel box when we are in the car for a while or we are away from the house. He was neutered at 5 months.

Some cats do really well together instantly, others it takes time to warm up before they become friends.

Good luck in your search!! I have thought about getting another kitten for Niles but I don't think we are quite there yet.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I like to get males neutered when they're 5 months old. If they're neutered before they start spraying then chances are they'll never spray (though I've heard of that happening but it's never happened to me). I've also had males that were studs and sprayed for several years that ultimately stopped spraying a few months after they were neutered. I guess there are no guarantees. But bear in mind that some females spray, it's not unheard of. I think it just boils down to the particular cat.

Back