Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Anus seems red

stewardyhoward

Lairian
Hey everyone

my little howard had really dry flaky skin around his eyes for some weeks, it felt dampish.
Due to this i changed his food - only without grain (i totally know that it's not good in any cat food, but they just like this brand and i really have problems to change them to all healthy, they're so picky with that :meh:)
The eyes definitely got better during days and if he just scrounged some of Steward food it seems to return quite fast..
anyhow since we changed the food, his anus looks red all around but I can't find a reason
(wonderful photo attached (y)) - maybe an allergy?

maybe some of you have seen anything like this?
thanks in the name of poup-head Howard :cat:
(and sorry for potential mistakes in the text)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 18.jpg
    FullSizeRender 18.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 79

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
The first 3 things that come to mind that can possibly cause this are dehydration, allergies or anal gland issues. Have you seen your baby scooting on their butt or licking this area more frequently?

Patti

stewardyhoward

Lairian
Thanks for your reply! No he seems to be fine, couldn't notice anything else. and i don't think its dehydration, sauce is what he loves most in his food (he doesn't have teeth anymore) hmmmm

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
How is his poop since switching food?

This is what dippys butt looks like when his poop is not solid as he over grooms the area afterwards...

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'd lean towards allergies with respect to protein. Chicken allergies are common. Could you try the same brand but different protein(s)?

stewardyhoward

Lairian
Yes I think hie poo is solid and there's no irritation anywhere else.
I just grabbed a new brand for dry food yesterday - Wildcat Cheetah - its composition seems to be fine.. Lets have a look if it fits for Howard now

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@stewardyhoward it looks like just an irritated area which I have seen before here at my home with my babies. I haven't seen it in a long time, but one thing that caused this the first time here was using human baby wipes on their butts. I got rid of the irritation right away by putting an ointment on the area. Just a tiny bit of ointment, rubbed in well a few times a day. I used Murpirocin Ointment or Cream. It's for humans and you might already have it. It's not toxic to animals, just tastes horrible if licked.