Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Any advice for introducing a sphynx kitten into my 1 sphynx household?

ashleyhope7

Lairian
Hi all!

I have a one, almost one and a half year old Sphynx named Choni. He is my BAAAAABY! We traveled together to Texas for the summer to stay with my parents and I had planned to keep him set up upstairs in my room at all times because they have three furry cats and two dogs and I was worried about them becoming territorial and possibly hurting him. However, a few weeks into the summer one of the cats got into the room and they had quite the introduction haha! We ended up taking Choni downstairs to meet everyone. He immediately bonded with my mom's French Bulldog and they play like crazy, SO cute! He had a few swats at my mom's Great Pyrenees, I think because she's SO BIG, but that lasted a grand total of two minutes. The three cats were very standoffish at first, one in particular, and would hiss and swat at him, however, Choni is a little socially awkward (hehe). He's so sweet hearted and innocent, he had no understanding for their personal space or "bubble" and would bound right up to them and give a kiss on the head or sniff their face, lots of following them around the house.
A few weeks later and all the cats had warmed up to him, he brought out such a playful side in the older cats and really made good friends with my mom's two and a half year old. They just love one another! :)

The two of us are now back in New York and I can tell that he is a little lonely. :( He follows me into every room I go even if I just get up to use the restroom at night and is up at odd hours sprinting through the apartment.
I had sent update pictures to his breeder last week and they let us know that they have 5 kittens available! I thought about it and really feel like it would be a good idea to adopt a friend for Choni.
The breeder is having me bring Choni today to meet the kittens and see if he bonds with any of them or takes a liking!
I love the idea of adding a new sphynx to our family, I was just curious to any advice or opinions on this and any tips on introducing the two cats when/if he or she moves in?

Thank you SO much and sorry for the long post! :)

Ashley

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You lucky most breeders wouldn't allow that I know if I was a breeder I wouldn't Sphynx kittens can go down hill quick if those kittens immune systems aren't top notch it be a dangerous chance to be taking it good luck with that :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hello @ashleyhope7 and welcome to sphynxlair for you and Choni!
Choni sounds like a lovely and very social sphynx. Think he will be very happy to get a friend! How old are the kittens? And when will gotcha day be?

Please keep us posted about how the meeting with the kittens went!

Enjoy cuddling and playing with the kittens:)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@ashleyhope7 , welcome to you and amazing Choni !

I personally would ask the breeder how old are the kitties and personalities -

**I personally would not do a meet n greet to err on the side of caution for all involved knowing how sensitive the breed can be to health stuff no matter what age

Choni obviously is very social and I am sure a good friend will be great for him!
Lots of good threads here on bring home intros!
Keep us posted!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
I wouldn't want to take my kit into the home with the other cats.
You know your Choni, is healthy and I wouldn't chance it.
Like the others have said, I can't believe the breeder was willing
for you to bring Choni, there. I would just go and there will be one that will
steal your heart.
That's the one I would go with. They will accept each other, just like
at your Parents house. It just takes a little time.

ashleyhope7

Lairian
Thank you all for your responses and input! We are so excited about joining the community! :) and so sorry for the confusion, our breeder is a close friend and we visit them often so they can see his progress and we can catch up!
Choni got to hang out with the older cats, his sister and parents and I got to play with and meet the babies! We also decided it was best for him not to meet the little ones.

I fell head over heels for the sweetest little boy! It just felt right in my gut! He will come home in a few weeks and we are just so excited! :)

Thank yall again for advice and input!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 35

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hello and welcome. Choni's soon to be new playmate is adorable (can't wait to see that colour and pattern come in).

Back