Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

ANY GOOD VETS IN LOS ANGELES AREA? PLEASE HELP!

ivana

Lairian
ANY GOOD VETS IN LOS ANGELES, CA?! I NEED A SECOND OPINION HELPPP!!!!

Went yesterday to take Lotus to the vet, and had a very unpleasant experience. The doctor checked his heart and said that he had a heart mur mur... a heart mur mur?! We were shocked. Lotus is turning 1 at the end of the month and is the healthiest and happiest cat. Where do we go from here? The doctor recommended a cardiologist in the area that we are looking into, but I have read on here that a second opinion is always necessary when dealing with these types of issues. Has anybody been in a similar situation that can shed some light for us? Much appreciated!!! xxx
Screen Shot 2014-07-01 at 3.36.39 PM.png

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @ivana and welcome to Sphynxlair! So glad you found us! It's not uncommon for a kitty to have what appears to be a murmur during a vet visit with the whole experience of leaving the house, driving in a car and a vet touching and prodding. At that age depending on there severity of the murmur, if in fact there is one truly present, they can sometimes go away as they get older. With that being said, there is nothing wrong with a second opinion. Please check our member recommended vet forum here - Member recommended vets. Hope its nothing serious. Please keep us posted, what a cutie you have there also! (y)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome! Lotus is a gorgeous baby. I would definitely get a second opinion. People get very nervous and think the worst when they hear murmur. Our boy is 11 now and was diagnosed with a stage 2 murmur when he was weeks old. It can simply just be that, but best to get it looked at just in case.

Patti

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would recommend that Lotus get HCM scanned at 1 year old anyway, so maybe it is a good time to take him to the cardiologist.

There are some low cost HCM clinics in LA occasionally so I would look those up so it is not so expensive.

Did they say what grade the murmur is?

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to the Lair! I would get a second opinion also. Do remember though, like Admin and Patty have said, there are several reasons that vets may hear murmurs, and murmurs may not ever need much attention. We just lost our 19-year-old DLH last February, and he had a fairly severe murmur. We never wanted to give him anesthesia because of the murmur, but other than that, he was very healthy and lived the longest of any of our cats so far. Good luck in your search for a vet. Your baby is beautiful!

Sphynx4sure

Lairian
Age one is the time you want to see a Cardiologist and scan for HCM. The Cardiologist will check on the heart murmer and can tell you more than a vet. A Sphynx needs to be scanned every year for HCM.

ivana

Lairian
Thank you all so much! The vet didn't specify what stage the mur mur was. She didn't tell us much, unless we asked. So we are going to go ahead and get a second opinion, and schedule an appointment with the cardiologist who seems to have good reviews. If anybody knows of a good vet in the LA area, please do share! Thanks again for all your help, you guys put us at ease.
Photo on 1-28-14 at 3.52 PM #2.jpg

Back