Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Any guesses on what he ate?

SphynxLuv84

Lairian
So this was a very long weekend....
Our cat eats/chews everything! Strings, cords, clothing (huge holes in the middle of my dresses), but this one took the prize....He ate a rubber mat from under his litter box! Not chewing the ends....a circle out of the middle!
Cut to the next morning....
He's quiet all morning (mommy is happy) and then he gets up from his nap and walking like a drunk sailor. Mommy gets Daddy and off to the vet we go...
Long story short, after 24 hrs of vet and emergency hospital + over night stay they think it's
A. inner ear infection or Ear polyps (recommending MRI to determine)
B. X-Ray of stomach produces more worry because he has large amount of strange materials and after 12 hrs of fluids it isn't passing..... recommending surgery
He's 4 months old!
So we brought him home because frankly after hearing the possible problems/complications with surgery, I couldn't rush into that.
Since being home, he's been fine, full of energy and eating normally (he's on raw diet)

So I guess I'm just looking for any insight into what I should be doing because I'm totally overwhelmed. Also We will be getting pet insurance after this so any thoughts suggestions on best insurances for foreign object coverage would be greatly appreciated!

Been a rough week...

Attachments

• Untitled-6.jpg
    Untitled-6.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 53

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
There are people here far more wise and experienced than myself. However, I'll throw in my two cents.

If the foreign objects can't be passed via enema or other non invasive means, then surgery really is the only option.

It sounds as though your cat may have pica (the drive to eat pretty much anything). I think this is treated with medication.

As far as insurance goes... most do not cover pre-existing conditions. Sorry to be a negative Nelly. But hopefully your vet can help out with paperwork to give you the best chance of coverage.

I am so sorry this is happening to your baby, who looks so sweet. I'm sending positive and healing vibes your way. Please keep us updated.

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Wow, that is so awful. I can't even imagine what your kitty has been eating? Maybe kitty litter? Do you use the clumping kind? I sure hope it passes quickly.
My cat is current recovering from an inner ear infection, and it's a very long process, and I have for sure noticed some difference in his behaviour because of it.

Fingers crossed that it's not something serious and that you don't have to go through surgery. I would definitely look into pica and discuss treatment options with you vet.

Hugs.

SphynxLuv84

Lairian
Thank you, no on the cat litter cause we use corn 100% natural:( he has an update X-ray Saturday so I'm praying things look better! His food saids it has 10% bone being raw but that should pass through right? Utterly baffled

Yoda mom

Staff member
@SphynxLuv84 , sending healing prayers! Please keep us updated!
Fwiw, pet insurance companies often will check chart notes - and consider something already seen for as "pre existing" - I ran into this when looking at the small print - you can look at their small print of contracts on line or call and ask for a copy without going into details- some also want certain vaccinations done annually or its void- so I am out of that bcz I don't believe in over vaccination nor does my vet for our particular circumstances
Lots of grey areas-

(I opted for care credit instead for emergencies- low monthly payment of usually 6 mos to 12 mos to pay depending on amount of bill- you have to stay on top of it like a hawk or it will eat you up in interest like 29%!
And the min payment will not pay it off in 6 mos- I use it for my dentist and vet - never had an issue as long as you pay more than the minimum and know you can pay in full by due date to avoid the interest- their website is easy to use-
Also my vet bill was $189 , so I added a bottle of Hylyt shampoo the vet sells to make the bill just over $200 for the 6 mos promo :) ) care credit is over the phone quick approval - I called back and asked for credit limit increase without any problems when I needed it for my dental bill)

I pray your baby will not need surgery.. Keep us posted!
Ps- we also have to throw out **dental floss to the outside trash bcz mine will knock over bathroom trash to get it, same thing with the broken hair bands-
My Bengal is pica with plastic bags so they go out as while I unpack groceries or she is chewing away!

Last edited:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
That's awful! Is your boy still eating, playing, drinking and pooping? Think it's important to watch him carefully. Sounds like he could have pica cause he eats everything.
Keep all fingers and paws crossed surgery is not necessary. Please keep us posted.

SphynxLuv84

Lairian
That's awful! Is your boy still eating, playing, drinking and pooping? Think it's important to watch him carefully. Sounds like he could have pica cause he eats everything.
Keep all fingers and paws crossed surgery is not necessary. Please keep us posted.

Yes, he's been acting fine. Jumping and leaping. With his food, he's been eating slower, but still finishes everything and all bathroom habits are normal. We did read about Pica, but everything saids consult your vet on treatment. Are there treatments? I'm also hoping he is teething and will grow out of this (wishful thinking?)

SphynxLuv84

Lairian
@SphynxLuv84 , sending healing prayers! Please keep us updated!
Fwiw, pet insurance companies often will check chart notes - and consider something already seen for as "pre existing" - I ran into this when looking at the small print - you can look at their small print of contracts on line or call and ask for a copy without going into details- some also want certain vaccinations done annually or its void- so I am out of that bcz I don't believe in over vaccination nor does my vet for our particular circumstances
Lots of grey areas-

(I opted for care credit instead for emergencies- low monthly payment of usually 6 mos to 12 mos to pay depending on amount of bill- you have to stay on top of it like a hawk or it will eat you up in interest like 29%!
And the min payment will not pay it off in 6 mos- I use it for my dentist and vet - never had an issue as long as you pay more than the minimum and know you can pay in full by due date to avoid the interest- their website is easy to use-
Also my vet bill was $189 , so I added a bottle of Hylyt shampoo the vet sells to make the bill just over $200 for the 6 mos promo :) ) care credit is over the phone quick approval - I called back and asked for credit limit increase without any problems when I needed it for my dental bill)

I pray your baby will not need surgery.. Keep us posted!
Ps- we also have to throw out **dental floss to the outside trash bcz mine will knock over bathroom trash to get it, same thing with the broken hair bands-
My Bengal is pica with plastic bags so they go out as while I unpack groceries or she is chewing away!
I''ve never heard of this credit card and could be a good option, thank you for the info!

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Our Cleopatra was 11 months old when she ate 32 inches of yarn. She had surgery, 12 staples down her belly and 2 weeks of sleeping in a large dog crate to prevent her from jumping around. From the xray you posted, I would be looking into CareCredit and surgery. Please be very careful about waiting. your little one may be acting somewhat normally now, but if those masses shift, he could end up with perforations in his stomach or intestines, and he could get extremely sick extremely fast. Ask your vet about Pica; there are treatmemts.
I'm so sorry that you are in this position. It is really hard to have to decide on expensive, invasive surgery. You want the best for your little one and I wish you well with him. He is adorable--looks a lot like my Queen Cleopatra! I wonder if this is a problem that happens more with the tuxedoes...

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I totally agree, I wouldn't wait. I would get the surgery done.
They can still have a bowel movement, it will go around the mass
of stuff. But, it can also, start backing up. But, there is all this stuff in
there, and the longer you wait, the more serious, it becomes.
Plus, I would cat or off your house. Everything, you know he eats.
I would discuss, medication, for the Pica.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@SphynxLuv84 glad to hear he's still playing and eating and that his poop is normal.
Okay...strange question: do you look at what's in the poop? I know it's gross but it's important so this way you can see if all the mass gets out.

When my boy wasn't feeling well for months he did ate the strangest thing (mouths full of cat litter!). We thought it could be Pica. Because he had diarrhea the vet said it was better not to tread it before the diarrhea was over. When the diarrhea was over so was the strange eating period. So I guess Pica can be treated.

I would go to the vet as soon as possible if all thevstrangevstufc didn't come out by now. A surgery is risky but waiting to long can be more risky.

Keep all fingers and paws crossed. Please keep us posted!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
He is still being monitored at the vets during the day and we have our follow up XRay tomorrow morning. Still energetic and eating/pooping well. I'm hoping to get some good news tomorrow:(

Fingers and paws crossed for good news tomorrow. Please keep us posted!

SphynxLuv84

Lairian
Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom and support. After the XRay today, we are going forward with the surgery on Monday. I hope everything goes well. Any tips on recovery would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 25

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom and support. After the XRay today, we are going forward with the surgery on Monday. I hope everything goes well. Any tips on recovery would be appreciated.

Sorry to hear surgery is necessary. Great advice given about ketamine. Sending a lot of relaxing vibes for monday and healing vibes for your babie. Please keep us posted!

Back