Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

any idea what this could be?

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sophie has a lump on her right under side. I took her to the vet for a check up and asked the vet what it was. He said it was a floating rib that I was feeling. I believed it at the time but felt it more after getting home and it is really soft and not near her ribs.

I'm taking her back to the vet next Thursday anyway but hate waiting and not knowing. The lump does not seem to be bothering her, its not red, its not pulsating or anything.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
IMOHO it is probably just a harmless cyst if it is soft and moveable. It usually if it it is hard and fixed that it is of more concern. I am not making a diagnosis just my experience. Opinions?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You can always get a 2nd opinion.
My Cleo had one on her back last August and the vet said to watch it and if it was still there after the sept show they would do a biopsy and remove it.
It went away by itself.
Watch it and if it changes gets bigger or anything get it tested.
Good Luck to you?
Is it hard or soft.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you both.

The lump is very soft.

I will be asking the vet again next week. He may not have known what I was pointing to. Sophie was being squirmy since it was towards the end of the visit and she had enough of the prodding at that point.

I hope its nothing but wasn't sure if it was ok to wait til next week to get it checked.

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It looks like it could be a hernia, is she fixed yet? if she isn't it can be fixed when they do her surgery to spay her but i use to breed chinchillas, and often the babies would come out with hernias that looked alot like the lump your baby has.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It is good the lump is soft.
Did she hit herself or anything?

I noticed it Monday and it seems to be the same size as it was then.

She is a crazy kitty and runs around really rough so its hard to say. But there is no redness or sign of injury on the outside or around it.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking hernia also, and since it is soft I would say if it is something it should be simple to remove it need be!
Keep A close eye and if it changes call the vet so that you can see him sooner.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The weird thing is I brought her in to the vet for a re-check on her spay site which had a lump. She had an infection in it and after 7 days of medicine a lump remained which I thought was a hernia. The vet said it was not and it will heal over time and become flat and the infection is now gone.

Then I asked the vet about this lump and that is when he said it was floating ribs which I really do not think it is now.
This to one side- her right side- its below where her ribs end but above where she was spayed.

So strange...

myspecialboy

Lairian
Chadwick had a rather large lump on his hind leg when he was younger, but it went away. He has had a small one on his neck for about a year and the vet told me to watch it. Both lumps were soft and moveable. He wont take off the lump off of his neck because while it moves around and isn't connected to it, it lays right over his carotid artery and it's too risky to cut it out.

Brooke

Banned
Helen had a similar (but smaller) very squishy lump on her neck/throat when I first got her. My vet checked it out and said it was no big deal. Sorry, don't remember what he called it. After about a month it went away. I just noticed the other day she's got another one (bigger this time) that looks just like the one in your photo on her belly, right above her droopy fat. I'll be having the vet look at it next time she goes in, but I just figure it's another benign fatty lump. Like yours, its not red or painful either. Please keep us posted on what the vet says!

PitRottMommy

Banned
Maybe I'm the only one amongst the viewers that's really having difficulty seeing what you're showing. Picture two is closer, but it's blurry.

If this is on her side, it's most like not a hernia unless she's undergone a significant amount of trauma (enough that she'd have alot of bruising). We're talking something that would either cause an intestinal loop to rupture through the body wall or omentum to spill out of the abdominal cavity. Her body condition looks far too good for this to be a herniation secondary to trauma. Therefore, I second the floating rib suggestion.

If this is actually right below the sternum (or even feels connected right at the base), it could be an over-pronounced xyphoid process. Nothing to be concerned about.

If this is by her navel or in the crease of her legs, both are common places for "umbilical" and "inguinal" (respectfully) hernias. Neither of these require trauma for tissue to be present. No veterinarian would be unable to notice an umbilical or inguinal hernia during a spay procedure unless it weren't there before.

Hope that helped. If you have more pictures to provide, I might be able to assist a little better.

Back