Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Anyone else have tummy issues with new bags of food?

CoolSphynx

Lairian
Does anyone have tummy/stool issues when they start on a new bag of food (food they are used to, not a new brand)?

My kitties have loose stools with a new bag of Innova EVO to the same extent as if it were an entirely different brand food. It's bad enough that I slowly mix in kibble from a new bag in with old kibble over a two-week period, but two of the kitties still get loose stools with even a couple of pieces of the new stuff mixed with the old. I've never had this problem before. (We switched from Royal Canin several months ago)...Because of a bum back, I buy 6.6 lb bags. But I will ask a friend to help me carry in a 15 lb bag, so I don't have to deal with it as often.

So I wonder if I just have a bunch of sensitive tummies, or if certain brands of food have a lot of variation btwn bags....

Last edited:

PitRottMommy

Banned
Can you be more specific on the problems you're having? Is it with Evo or RC? Or did you have problems with both?

Brooke

Banned
hmm, I've had that happen when switching between proteins of the same brand (which isn't supposed to happen) but never with the exact same food. Does it happen to you every time or just this once?

If it's just this once, I'd call the manufacturer to see if they've changed any of their suppliers recently. That's definitely not supposed to happen.

CoolSphynx

Lairian
Sorry for the confusion, Sami and Brooke. I have no business starting threads in the wee hours :Dizzy:

Two kitties have stools of toothpaste consistency or slightly more wet only with starting a new bag of EVO, even with a verrry slow transition between bags. We've gone through 3 bags with the same results btwn bags. (We didn't have the problem on RC, which we switched from a few months ago.) Doing some online research, I've seen the words "fixed ingredient" for premium pet foods, but haven't found a list of what brands are "fixed ingredient" and use exactly the same ingredients in every bag...Is that something you have heard before?

Brooke, that's a good idea. I will email Innova too.

Thanks!

PitRottMommy

Banned
Sorry for the confusion, Sami and Brooke. I have no business starting threads in the wee hours :Dizzy:

Two kitties have stools of toothpaste consistency or slightly more wet only with starting a new bag of EVO, even with a verrry slow transition between bags. We've gone through 3 bags with the same results btwn bags. (We didn't have the problem on RC, which we switched from a few months ago.) Doing some online research, I've seen the words "fixed ingredient" for premium pet foods, but haven't found a list of what brands are "fixed ingredient" and use exactly the same ingredients in every bag...Is that something you have heard before?

Brooke, that's a good idea. I will email Innova too.

Thanks!

I have to agree with Brooke. AAFCO and FDA do not require a notification to anyone feeding any pet foods to send an alert about changes, as long as the label is changed. Wouldn't it be nice though? Might I recommend asking "if any changes have been made" and not just if the protein has been changed? Even changing percentages of protein can cause soft stool for some pets, even though they're still using the same one. And the food is still technically the same.

I like Innova and Evo as foods. And never had a problem feeding either to my dogs, I never had my cats on them, and ALL of my boys have very sensitive stomachs (like me, lol). It may be that I fed them only Innova for about 8 months before the switch. Anyhow, no GI upset.

zoes mom

Lairian
I think that if your two cats have toothpaste stool that you might want to consider another great food. They just might not be agreeing with something in that particular food. My young cat is very sensitive to food switches and if I changed to a new brand of food she gets loose stool if im not careful it takes week to week and half to slowley switch brands. If I were you I would try a different brand just my opinion. I like Acana..... good luck