Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Anyone ever use this on their kitties?

Festerchat

Lairian

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Just a thought, does anything you use on him have olive oil in it? At least in human that have eczema, olive oil makes it WAY worse. I have no idea if it is the same with cats though

I hope you can figure out something to help :) healing vibes sent. And hopefully someone has some experience with that product!

Festerchat

Lairian
IMG_5019.JPG IMG_5020.JPG IMG_5021.JPG IMG_5029.JPG
Just a thought, does anything you use on him have olive oil in it? At least in human that have eczema, olive oil makes it WAY worse. I have no idea if it is the same with cats though

I hope you can figure out something to help :) healing vibes sent. And hopefully someone has some experience with that product!
I was using straight 100% coconut oil. Nothing he's had has olive oil in it but that's good info.

He has a vet appointment on Monday but I just want to give him relief. I'll also attach some pics so people know what it looks like.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Awe :( I hope the vet can help your baby out

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Festerchat
Oh your baby has a yeast infection, or bad allergies.
I would say yeast infection.
Do you use worlds best cat litter? Or any corn litter?
I would keep clothes off him until well.
I don't know if it will give much relief but
aloe Vera 100% pure only is safe. I would try it.
It's cheap if it doesn't help. Have the Vet to check
for yeast infection, if negative, I would say allergies.
But if the Vet wants to check for allergies, have blood drawn.
Check for everything your baby could be allergic to.
Food, inhalent, everything.

Festerchat

Lairian
@Festerchat
Oh your baby has a yeast infection, or bad allergies.
I would say yeast infection.
Do you use worlds best cat litter? Or any corn litter?
I would keep clothes off him until well.
I don't know if it will give much relief but
aloe Vera 100% pure only is safe. I would try it.
It's cheap if it doesn't help. Have the Vet to check
for yeast infection, if negative, I would say allergies.
But if the Vet wants to check for allergies, have blood drawn.
Check for everything your baby could be allergic to.
Food, inhalent, everything.
The Zyrtec and Vaseline is working pretty well for now. I hate taking his shirt off because he kicks until raw.

I used worlds best for a bit but hated it. It was dusty all over the place. I switched back to arm and hammer naturals which is corn based. Do you think the worlds best caused an issue?

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Oh poor baby. Hoping your vet will give some relief. Have you tried Vetericyn ? You can usually buy it at pet supply stores.

It helps with a multitude of skin issues and great to have on hand so it wouldn't be a waste. I even use it on simple scratches etc. It might help relieve your baby until you get to the vet. The shirt might be making it worse especially if they are allergic to your detergent etc. a couple of times I used too much detergent in a load of blankets and it must not rinsed thoroughly and my one boy broke out immediately. Will be looking for updates @Festerchat.

Patti

Festerchat

Lairian
@Catzzzmeow Thank you. I have some Vetericyn but doesn't seem to really help. If anything it makes him lick more and causes issues. Although I haven't seen that gel and maybe it would stick better?

Lately I have stopped using detergent on his clothes because of his skin issues. I rinse his clothes off until the water runs clear. I've taken his shirt off as mentioned. He looks a little better today. Monday can't come fast enough.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Festerchat
I know world's best has caused many cat's to have
yeast infections.
I really think that's what it is.
But, if not. I'm sure it's allergies.
Make sure the Vet does a skin scrape to check for
yeast infection.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Festerchat
Every sphynx doesn't get the infection from it.
But a lot have. Just think, wet corn from pee.
It's not a good picture.

Festerchat

Lairian
@Hairless Blessing True. It's funny, never had an issue with the Arm and Hammer that is plant and corn based. Unfortunately he has to have natural litter because he ended eating the clay kind and it coated his stomach. It was bad. :(

JamesD

Lairian
I know world's best has caused many cat's to have yeast infections.
Has this been proven to be the cause? I'd have thought that a healthy cat in good condition wouldn't contract a skin infection that easily. After all, they are exposed to countless species of pathogenic microbes in the environment on a constant basis and most don't contract the illnesses they can cause unless their immune system is otherwise compromised.

I wouldn't have thought that exposing them to Candida would result in an infection unless the cats immune system was compromised in some way, be it stress, poor nutrition, or other illness.

shmudy

Lairian
One of my babies has allergies, in particular to wheat and your babies skin looks the same.I think vet will do allergy panel amd if not I'd ask for it.good luck!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Has this been proven to be the cause? I'd have thought that a healthy cat in good condition wouldn't contract a skin infection that easily. After all, they are exposed to countless species of pathogenic microbes in the environment on a constant basis and most don't contract the illnesses they can cause unless their immune system is otherwise compromised.

I wouldn't have thought that exposing them to Candida would result in an infection unless the cats immune system was compromised in some way, be it stress, poor nutrition, or other illness.
Yes it has. In fact my Sister's Sphynx got a yeast infection
from the WBCL. Proven.

JamesD

Lairian

Yes it has. In fact my Sister's Sphynx got a yeast infection
from the WBCL. Proven.
Not to drag out a point unnecessarily, but how was this proven? Was the yeast in the litter cultured and shown to be the same species causing the infection, or was it just presumed to be the case? We're the cats otherwise healthy or we're they under the influence of any other stressors at the time?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I have a scientific background and need evidence for everything! I've been using this litter for quite some time now and if it was proven to cause yeast infections, I would stop using it in a heart beat. If however, it was assumed to be the cause simply through coincidence, I will continue to use it. Hope that makes sense.

celsei

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I don't know about the whole yeast issue but corn litter has a mold risk which can cause respiratory issues/asthma when constantly inhaled and there's also a deadly mold that grows on corn that's thought to have killed some cats, wbcl in the story as well. I stopped using corn due to one of my guys developing an allergy/breathing problem.

Caution to use of Corn Based Cat Litters

JamesD

Lairian
I don't know about the whole yeast issue but corn litter has a mold risk which can cause respiratory issues/asthma when constantly inhaled and there's also a deadly mold that grows on corn that's thought to have killed some cats, wbcl in the story as well. I stopped using corn due to one of my guys developing an allergy/breathing problem.

Caution to use of Corn Based Cat Litters
Again, I'm not sure of how much evidence there actually is there. As the article said, no autopsy was done....even the most educated among us can only speculate without proper testing.

I am not saying that aflotoxin isn't associated with corn, but it seems a bit of a stretch to say that it resulted in the death of that cat when there has been no link actually made.

I guess I'm just playing devils advocate here, but there's nothing I love more than a debate....that is how we move forward after all. I would like to know if anyone has come across any scientific literature showing a clear, undeniable link between corn based cat litters and microbial infections?

It seems all to easy to simply blame the litter because it may be contaminated with yeast/mold, that may pose a health risk. Everything is contaminated with potentially pathogenic microbes.....I can guarantee that most of you would be shocked at what's growing in kitties food/water bowl if you cultured it!

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@JamesD
It's probably more anecdotal evidence. It's generally easy to narrow down what the cause of something is when there is some idea what is going on.
it's like a person realizes they get an upset stomach after eating dairy, they decide to stop consuming dairy, the stomach aches go away. A couple weeks later they decide to have more dairy, and the stomach ache is back. They are logically going to assume it's the dairy that is the problem.
Same sort of thing for the litter, cat has problem, figure out what problem is, remove probable causes of problems. So cat is found to have a yeast infection, the first thing you do is think of what was recently changed or what could possibly be causing it, and get rid of it. If it goes away, in normally conversation it can be said it was proven, because in this one case technically it was. Proven can mean "found to be", which can be done by process of elimination.
Scientifically, no, that is in no means an actual experiment and not actually proven, considering nothing is actually reall proved. It either supports the hypothesis or not. Prove is the wrong wording from what I've been taught.

People tend to tell others to be weary of things that did not work for them, and generally the advice is used as a rule of thumb. It's the same as not going to a restaurant because you were told the food gave a couple people food poisoning. Regardless, you go and you get food poisoning. It's pretty easy to say "oh it's the restaurant", and decided it's proven to be the cause based on a few anecdotes. Again, not scientific but it seems to be how humans work.

If the litter works for your baby, keep using it. Unless there is some experiment that stating it is causing harm, you should be fine.

So not an entirely scientific answer, more so observations, prior knowledge and examples.

JamesD

Lairian
@Maddie
Don't get me wrong, I understand the difficulty in reliably pin pointing the source of infection.....what I am after is evidence that the yeast found in the litter is the same species of yeast to cause the skin infections or something to that effect. As I'm sure many of us are aware, our skin (and that of our cats) is crawling with microbes which exist in a state of equilibrium, kept in check by both each other, and the immune system. In my mind, it would make much more sense for a skin infection to be caused by the immune system being compromised than the cat coming into contact with something that is already present on its skin.

With regards to the mold, what I'm trying to say is that the cat in question had no path work done so there are 2 assumptions being made here.....one is that the cats condition was actually caused by aflotoxin (there are plenty of things that can cause hepatic lipidosis), the other being that the litter was the source of the problem.

If something like this is an actual risk, obviously I wouldn't argue the case..........saying that Permethrin is safe to use on cats (when we all know how toxic it is to them) would be foolish. However, if it is merely a potential risk that has come about through assumption (ie. my cat got a skin infection whilst using this litter therefore it must be the litter), then I don't think we should be so quick to jump to conclusions.

Back to your comparison about humans and lactose intolerance.....this really is a completely different scenario. It is much easier to diagnose an intolerance through exclusion as it is always there.....infections will clear up with treatment (and often without). With something like a lactose intolerance, you are able to exclude 1 food group at a time until the source of the irritation is found. Infections are transient which is why identifying the source can be so difficult.

If the cat got a skin infection whilst on a corn based litter, and the litter was changed whilst the cat was on treatment, is it fair to assume it was down to the litter when the cat could have fully recovered without changing it at all? How many people that have had these problems whilst on corn based litter have gone back to it and had the same problem? These are the questions that keep me up at night! Lol

Please don't take this as argumentative, I just don't like jumping to conclusions without all of the facts.......as helpful as anecdotal evidence is (I'm well aware of how many scientific breakthroughs have come about this way), I don't think it's fair to slam all corn based litters because a few cats got skin infections whilst on them.......after all, plenty of cats get yeast infections without ever coming into contact with a corn based litter.....who's to blame with those? Lol

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Fair enough. I was just trying to explain the logic behind where those assumptions come from, not whether the litter is safe or not lol. I guess I could have used an example of a cream, same sort of thing. More so an immune reaction then, probably allergic.
I get not wanting to jump to conclusions, but as I said most people thinking highly of the thoughts of others. Not everyone digs for the scientific info.
I wonder if the companies have their data available, Like what quality control tests it go through. It might be hard for them to test yeast causation though, maybe a specific gene plays a part of a certain difference in pH. No clue lol. It is interesting to think about though. I get where you're coming from, just not everyone think like that lol that's all I was trying to explain :)

celsei

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Again, I'm not sure of how much evidence there actually is there. As the article said, no autopsy was done....even the most educated among us can only speculate without proper testing.

I am not saying that aflotoxin isn't associated with corn, but it seems a bit of a stretch to say that it resulted in the death of that cat when there has been no link actually made.

I guess I'm just playing devils advocate here, but there's nothing I love more than a debate....that is how we move forward after all. I would like to know if anyone has come across any scientific literature showing a clear, undeniable link between corn based cat litters and microbial infections?

It seems all to easy to simply blame the litter because it may be contaminated with yeast/mold, that may pose a health risk. Everything is contaminated with potentially pathogenic microbes.....I can guarantee that most of you would be shocked at what's growing in kitties food/water bowl if you cultured it!
I mean it's kinda obvious, corn grows mold in a moist environment (aka being peed on) and corn based litter is no exception. As you see from the company's quote they don't even claim it's mold free once taken out of the package and used, there's plenty of people posting pictures of the results (http://cdn.thecatsite.com/e/e2/900x900px-LL-e2bbdd41_IMG_20150626_031432607.jpeg). It's also pretty clear inhaling mold isn't good for anyone, afolotoxin or not. No one's really going to launch an investigation here as no one would profit from it and nothing new would be learned anyway. Corn inclusive food has been recalled for aflotoxin contamination before, no reason it couldn't happen with litter which surely has even less quality control. In general pet products have next to no regulation which you can read harvard papers on (Incestuous Pet Food Regulation Allows Consumers to Feed their Pets Ring Dings and Krispy Kremes) I'm not going to argue about it but I'd rather not risk my pets' health for brand loyalty or stubborness, for sure the majority of cats will be fine using whatever questionable safety product but once you happen to be the marginal few who don't luck out there's not much you can do to remedy the situation. I'd rather companies prove that their products are safe than wait for customers to prove they're not before using any of their products. And they do not prove it's safe, a label or claim on a package that someone profits from with no real regulatory bodies or legal obligation behind it isn't really the best source of facts.

Festerchat

Lairian
Lol so litter arguments aside, went to the vet. Says it looks like food allergies. Doing a full allergy test. I'll know more soon. For now, he has some cortisone tablets and will get put on a food that promotes a restricted diet to clean his system out. Once the tests come back, the vet and I will find a good food.

Thanks for the well wishes!!

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well I am glad the vet has an idea about what is going on :) I hope your baby gets better soon