Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Anyone have a deaf sphynx

Sheldon13

Staff member
I would think it would be similar to any other deaf cat. From what I understand they can get along fairly well. You just have to make sure you are in their line of sight when trying to communicate anything with them.

Tell me more about this sweet kitty...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by a moderator:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We had a member in the community who had one, but she is no longer active in here. I remember her saying it was more about interacting through vibration, like stomping etc so cat could sense it. Also toys that were more about light/ movement than those that made sound. Of course I’m sure a little frustration could be involved like not coming when you call, or when they get into everything a yell of NO won’t work. I think it’s wonderful you are considering and researching.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
How wonderful of you to consider taking in a deaf sphynx. I don't have experience with deaf sphynx. Didn't hear a lot members here having a deaf sphynx, besides the one @Catzzzmeow is refering too.
How old is the sphynx?

JelikoCats

Lairian
Thanks everyone. The kitten is only 3 weeks old. The breeder suspects he's deaf but not 100%. I had the chance to meet him today. He's very shy with people but super cute. He has amazing blue eyes. The breeder wants to see if the eyes develop nicer and if so he'll keep and show him, so its not guaranteed he will be available. I'll know in a few more weeks and do a 2nd meet and greet to see personality. Hes a solid white with blue eyes

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Just a note of interest, although we’ve never had a deaf cat, we have had three solid white cats. One, Sadie Belle, had beautiful blue eyes. Our male had golden eyes, and Sadie’s sister Sydney had green eyes. Sadie and Sydney, who were our foster kittens at the time, both had hearing tests, even though I told the vet they could hear. I was told that deaf kittens often give the impression that they can hear by following the hearing kittens, and that white cats with blue eyes have a 90% chance of hearing loss. Sadie surprised them with a perfect hearing test.
The vet also told me that odd-eyed kittens often are deaf only in the ear on the blue-eyed side.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Thanks everyone. The kitten is only 3 weeks old. The breeder suspects he's deaf but not 100%. I had the chance to meet him today. He's very shy with people but super cute. He has amazing blue eyes. The breeder wants to see if the eyes develop nicer and if so he'll keep and show him, so its not guaranteed he will be available. I'll know in a few more weeks and do a 2nd meet and greet to see personality. Hes a solid white with blue eyes

Hope this doesn’t come across as harsh...

I think deafness would be a disqualifier for showing, would it not? So I would think if he’s deaf they would not keep him.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Cleopatra Beers For what it’s worth, recent stats estimate 60-80% of solid white cats with at least one blue eye (both blue or odd-eyed) are deaf. 20-40% have regular hearing. So there is more hope than one previously may have thought.
There are 2 coat color genes that can produce a solid white cat. Only one of those genes is associated with deafness when combined inherited along with the gene for blue eyes. :)

Dublin Riis

Lairian
I am considering a sphynx that may be deaf, waiting to hear back. Anyone have a deaf sphynx, would love to hear pros and cons of ownership. Thanks
Yes, my (Russian Sphynx) Dublin is hearing impaired @JelikoCats. Let me reiterate, although I started, I hadn't completed the BAER testing for him, since he wouldn't allow the vet to place the probes inside his ears. Dublin kept shaking them out and this was even AFTER he was sedated. I was asked to bring him back once he matured a bit, but I never returned, knowing I'd love him the same, no matter what the results were.

Dublin Riis

Lairian
I've heard other people say their cat yowls LOUDLY, just because....

On the other hand, I believe Dublin yowls, screams, meows this way because he's deaf and doesn't realize we're NOT. One important thing I've taught him is "come" through hand signals. I had to teach him, if he comes to me, only good things happen (treats, hugs and kisses). This way, if I see he's about to get into some sort of trouble, I can motion for him to come quickly. He's always rewarded to enforce this behavior, as it's the MOST important lesson for him to learn being deaf.

However, if I clap, Dublin doesn't know the origin/direction of the sound. He turns his head in every direction, therefore I believe he has "special" hearing. Certain tones...? But he doesn't pick up his head while I vacuum, or come to the door when I return from work. He responds by sight.

If you are on Instagram, you may also contact me @dublinandyudjin

Sheldon13

Staff member
I've heard other people say their cat yowls LOUDLY, just because....

On the other hand, I believe Dublin yowls, screams, meows this way because he's deaf and doesn't realize we're NOT. One important thing I've taught him is "come" through hand signals. I had to teach him, if he comes to me, only good things happen (treats, hugs and kisses). This way, if I see he's about to get into some sort of trouble, I can motion for him to come quickly. He's always rewarded to enforce this behavior, as it's the MOST important lesson for him to learn being deaf.

However, if I clap, Dublin doesn't know the origin/direction of the sound. He turns his head in every direction, therefore I believe he has "special" hearing. Certain tones...? But he doesn't pick up his head while I vacuum, or come to the door when I return from work. He responds by sight.

If you are on Instagram, you may also contact me @dublinandyudjin

Sounds like he got very fortunate ending up with you. It seems to me that he is not completely deaf, only mostly so. That may be why he makes such loud noises too, because he can hear how quiet (in his mind) he is being.

Dublin Riis

Lairian
Sounds like he got very fortunate ending up with you. It seems to me that he is not completely deaf, only mostly so. That may be why he makes such loud noises too, because he can hear how quiet (in his mind) he is being.

I meant to say, "spacial" hearing. I believe it's the terminology where he doesn't know the origin of sound. Sometimes I question how MUCH he may be able to hear...? However, I watch to see if his ears flicker in response with certain sudden loud noises in order to see if he picks up his head

Dublin Riis

Lairian
Hope this doesn’t come across as harsh...

I think deafness would be a disqualifier for showing, would it not? So I would think if he’s deaf they would not keep him.

I was about to mention the same thing to @JelikoCats Then I thought a person may(?) show a deaf cat, as long as it's shown as a pet. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

With that said, a "responsible" breeder should show an interest in having that particular kitty tested for hearing. This will ensure the health of his future litters or at least he should be aware that hearing impaired kittens MAY(?) be found later.

Back