Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Anyone have any other Naked Pets?

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Chinese Cresteds? Naked Rats? etc.

I've been looking into Xoloitzcuintli and Chinese Cresteds, so that we can add a dog to our family. My husband is allergic to animal hair etc, so no matter how much I'd like a Bullie or a Great Dane, naked puppies are what I'm leaning towards.

Anyone here have other nakeds in your home? Keep it pet related please. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I do not have any other naked pets but I am trying to talk my husband into letting me get a naked dog.

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Nothing else naked here but the cats.... unless you count the tortoise. The naked dogs don't do much for me too little & they have a distinctive nose, after having Bull Terriers for so long with their nose & forehead combined normal dogs look "weird" to me! LOL! :LOL:

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Bull Terriers for so long with their nose & forehead combined normal dogs look "weird" to me! LOL! :LOL:

Little pear heads. :BigSmile: Even though its short hair, it would still affect my husband though:Sick:

I really like the Standard Xolo's but can't find a breeder locally (local enough that I can visit and see them in person before we decided to bring one home.)

Brooke

Banned
I used to have a naked rat, Agnes (may she rest in peace). She was AWESOME! Rats are often considered to be gross, but they are actually very clean and smart, and can be trained like dogs! Agnes knew how to sit, shake and lie down and was litter trained. She had free run of the house (before I had cats, of course). Her favorite past time was going for rides on my dog Virgil's back. She would grab two fist-fulls of his fur and he'd take off running through the house with her hanging on for dear life!

I found her at a pet store for $2.50. Everyone made fun of me when I paid $85 for her to have a breast tumor surgically removed shortly after... Here's a photo of her after her surgery...

I haven't been able to think about getting another dog since I lost Virgil last year, but I have a doggie-crush on our member Xolo, Gary. I think my next dog is gonna have to be a Xolo now...

Attachments

• AgnesTubeTop_sm.jpg
    AgnesTubeTop_sm.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 40
Last edited by a moderator:

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I haven't been able to think about getting another dog since I lost Virgil last year, but I have a doggie-crush on our member Xolo, Gary. I think my next dog is gonna have to be a Xolo now...
Sorry for your loss.

I will go and look at K9's profile and look for pictures. Agnes sounds like she was a lovely, girl. I had pet rats as a child but only recently have heard of naked rats (once you get one hairless pet, you start finding other hairless species everywhere that you'd not heard of before.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Brooke

Banned

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Nope Kreacher is the first naked animal i've had. My husband gave me a choice of naked rat, or naked cat...I chose cat :)

poochtini

Lairian
I have 3 Cresteds and a Std. Xolo. I think the one thing all naked animals share is they love to cuddle and be close to their people. Right now I have an American Hairless Terrier as a foster dog. Very interesting little guy-just as smooth as can be and none of the skin problems associated with other hairless dog breeds.

Cresties are happy little dogs, easy going, friendly, love attention and enjoy laying around as much as they love playing. Some people think they are hard to housebreak-but I haven't seen any difference than any other breed of small dog.

Xolos are more introspective, highly intelligent and very loyal. Brisa can be just as silly as the Cresteds too. It is good if they have a job to do, need basic obedience and good socialization.

It can be hard to find a good breeder of Xolos that are close to you. I wish you the best of luck in your search, let me know if I can help in anyway!

LA

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I wish you the best of luck in your search, let me know if I can help in anyway!

LA

Thank you. I did end up with a Chinese Crested. She's been a lot of work as she was trained to use her crate as a toilet, so she's still going to the bathroom on her bed, but we'll get there with more practice.

They are absolute sweethearts, she likes nothing better than to be next to me. She's slowly winning the cats around and she hasn't got a nasty bone in her body, she very occasionally growls if she hears a noise at night but no negative behavior towards us or the cats.

There are some pictures of her in my photo albums (called Aggie)

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
No other naked animals here! Although I use to have a California King Snake (he's technically "naked", right? :Smile:). Named him Atticus. I think the naked rats and dogs are cute. I use to have rats when I was younger, but they had hair.

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I also had hairless rats....Bailey and Naked. They were great pets! One time, when I went to go pick my rattie up at the vet, the receptionist said, "I'll go get Naked" and you could've heard a pin drop in the waiting room :LOL: :LOL:

PitRottMommy

Banned
I'm another that had hairless rats. Up until 3 years ago, I had 19. Most of them were rescues.

It was this that started my passion for hairless cats. That being said, my American Pitbull Terriers don't bother my allergies--so I doubt I'll ever navigate away from this breed. They need someone to fight the good fight for them, and I totally feel like I'm that person. I'm sure all of you know the story about Brogan. Soon, there'll be a story to tell about Breixo and Bastien too. I expect they'll be two more dogs to revere in the APA because of their dedication to track work. T'ain't nothin' better than a Pitbull rescue ;)

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
They need someone to fight the good fight for them, and I totally feel like I'm that person. I'm sure all of you know the story about Brogan. Soon, there'll be a story to tell about Breixo and Bastien too. I expect they'll be two more dogs to revere in the APA because of their dedication to track work. T'ain't nothin' better than a Pitbull rescue ;)

A 4yr old boy has just died after being attacked by a dog in England. Cue all the "it must be a pitbull/ rottie ... large dog of choice" I don't even think they know what breed it is that killed him yet but people think it must 'obviously' be a pitbull.

Some of the nicest dogs I've met have been pitbulls/ rottweilers etc and some of the nastiest have been little 'ankle biters' that have small dog syndrome (I've met lots of evil Chihuahuas ) I really wish people would start realizing its NOT the breed of dog, its how they've been raised.

susi794

Staff member
I also had hairless rats....Bailey and Naked. They were great pets! One time, when I went to go pick my rattie up at the vet, the receptionist said, "I'll go get Naked" and you could've heard a pin drop in the waiting room :LOL: :LOL:

Too funny!:LOL:

susi794

Staff member
A 4yr old boy has just died after being attacked by a dog in England. Cue all the "it must be a pitbull/ rottie ... large dog of choice" I don't even think they know what breed it is that killed him yet but people think it must 'obviously' be a pitbull.

Some of the nicest dogs I've met have been pitbulls/ rottweilers etc and some of the nastiest have been little 'ankle biters' that have small dog syndrome (I've met lots of evil Chihuahuas ) I really wish people would start realizing its NOT the breed of dog, its how they've been raised.

Amen to that! Garbage in-garbage out. But if you love and respect an animal it will try it's damndest to please you--giving back more than you thought possible. Case in point--Pitrottmommy's dogs.

Back