Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Anyone know what these darker spots

LauraS

Lairian
IMG_20190101_195433.jpg
the skin almost looks less smooth or more dry as well. I thought at first they were bruises from playing rough with my other cat but they aren't. They are slowly spreading too.

StacyD

Lairian
My niece had this fungus? once on her skin, dark, & felt a bit velvety, & needed a suave from her dermatologist . Maybe it's similar?

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It’s strange looking. Have you tried using coconut oil to rub it off? It could just be dirty areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoda mom

Staff member
I would check with vet to rule out yeast or bacteria ?
Have you changed litter brands ?
Some kitties get yeasty from certain litters - corn based etc

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm guessing you have a darker coloured kitten?
I'm fighting this will my Toothless right now; the vet ruled out any bacteria or fungus (in my case).
She seems to be getting a lighter gray instead of the dark black she use to be and has these darker spots everywhere!

I've used coconut oil and aloe vera. I've tried to increase and decrease her supplements.
All the cleaners I use are all natural non toxic and I haven't changed anything I'm using so ...

If anyone has anymore ideas!!!

LauraS

Lairian
It’s strange looking. Have you tried using coconut oil to rub it off? It could just be dirty areas.

I haven't but she has had a few baths since I noticed the spots. They are spreading quite a lot. They don't seem to bother her but I worry

LauraS

Lairian
I would check with vet to rule out yeast or bacteria ?
Have you changed litter brands ?
Some kitties get yeasty from certain litters - corn based etc
I think a vet check might have to happen. Maybe I'll set an appt for today. I haven't changed litter, using all natural pine pellets. I did switch her from kitten food to sphynx food but it was a gradual switch. I think the spots started before that though

LauraS

Lairian
I'm guessing you have a darker coloured kitten?
I'm fighting this will my Toothless right now; the vet ruled out any bacteria or fungus (in my case).
She seems to be getting a lighter gray instead of the dark black she use to be and has these darker spots everywhere!

I've used coconut oil and aloe vera. I've tried to increase and decrease her supplements.
All the cleaners I use are all natural non toxic and I haven't changed anything I'm using so ...

If anyone has anymore ideas!!!
Her skin is actually quite light, dark fuz though. The spots themselves have a weird texture. I wonder if it is fungus, but she hasn't been exposed to anything new. I think maybe vet today.

Attachments

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If it seems like it’s spreading and won’t come off with washes it’s probably a good idea to see the vet for a skin scraping.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Agree would see a vet and they will best determine what is going on. It might be as simple as a prescriptive shampoo. Please update us.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LauraS healing vibes sent good idea for a vet check
Perhaps allergic to the pine pellets?

You can ask if Malaseb shampoo would be beneficial ?
members have had good results with it ..
Follow your vets advice and keep us updated often
@MelissaAlice awh healing vibes too!

LauraS

Lairian
So the vet thinks it is from her belly rubbing on items like the stairs when she runs up them.

Gallina isn't bothered by the spots so if she becomes itchy or something I will take her for a second opinion but I think I won't worry for now. She just turned a year old so vet said pigment changes is also normal but that the minor thickening of the skin is from rubbing on stuff.

I wonder if anyone else has had this happen. She is quite long legged so I didn't see that her belly rubs on the stairs but I'm going to pay more attention to see.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LauraS Did the vet do a skin scraping to check for yeast or bacteria?

Sphynx Skin Conditions

Just brainstorming here --- does she lay on cable boxes or heat floor registers ?
I tried o see if there was a pattern of dark lines and spots on the pic? That could match something in the home heated she is resting on?

Many are heat seekers with cable boxes and heaters

Following closely for updates
Head kisses sent

Last edited:

LauraS

Lairian
@LauraS Did the vet do a skin scraping to check for yeast or bacteria?

Sphynx Skin Conditions

Just brainstorming here --- does she lay on cable boxes or heat floor registers ?
I tried o see if there was a pattern of dark lines and spots on the pic? That could match something in the home heated she is resting on?

Many are heat seekers with cable boxes and heaters

Following closely for updates
Head kisses sent
The vet said it wasn't raised enough to do a scraping.

There isn't really any pattern to the spots, the highest one is in the middle but the rest are random. She does lay on the heat registers though.

I may pic up some coconut oil and put some on to see if it helps.

Yoda mom

Staff member
I had to buy floor register deflectors
Wonder if it would help ?

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Toothless has them randomly as well .. I'm telling you I'm stumped too!!

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
tooth.JPG

The colour of her face here is the colour she was all over; now she just has these odd spots of black and they can sometimes feel like dry skin. I add coconut oil to her food and I rub her down with it. Hasn't seemed to made any difference.

I found a breeder in the states who make a like of cleansers and conditioners for hairless pets. She has a "restorative shampoo" it's all natural and organic. It's suppose to help with allergies and infections from bacteria or fungus.

I'm going to order it next week .. see if it helps at all

I will keep everyone posted on it.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@SweetBabyRae
We have some kitties get yeasty skin with corn and wheat litters :(

I would vet check amd ask if they do a skim scraping to test for yeast or bacteria
So they can give a treatment plan

Personally I would try to switch to a an unscented litter ?
Did this just start with the wheat litter?
Was she okay on previous litter ? If so I would go back to it

Years ago I switched to Dr elseys unscented
Then I found a dupe dr elseys it called fresh4life odor destroyer in 40 lb bag with loop handle -
It scoops really easy- 14 bucks and often on sale

no skin or poo issues with it x4 sphynx

Surely others with more experience with this will chime in with suggestions that you can share with your vet

Head smooches n Positive vibes! Following for updates

(I did read in the past to avoid wheat or corn Litter that it can potentially develop deadly mold? )

All paws crossed a vet visit will get to the bottom this for sweet Daisy

@LauraS , @MelissaAlice checking in for upates

Last edited:

SweetBabyRae

Lairian
@SweetBabyRae
We have some kitties get yeasty skin with corn and wheat litters :(

I would vet check amd ask if they do a skim scraping to test for yeast or bacteria
So they can give a treatment plan

Personally I would try to switch to a an unscented litter ?
Did this just start with the wheat litter?
Was she okay on previous litter ? If so I would go back to it

Years ago I switched to Dr elseys unscented
Then I found a dupe dr elseys it called fresh4life odor destroyer in 40 lb bag with loop handle -
It scoops really easy- 14 bucks and often on sale

no skin or poo issues with it x4 sphynx

Surely others with more experience with this will chime in with suggestions that you can share with your vet

Head smooches n Positive vibes! Following for updates

(I did read in the past to avoid wheat or corn Litter that it can potentially develop deadly mold? )

All paws crossed a vet visit will get to the bottom this for sweet Daisy

@LauraS , @MelissaAlice checking in for upates
We switched because she has really bad chronic sinus problems and she sticks her nose in the litter and it gets stuck to her nose. She ends up sniffing it up her nose or licking it off. Im allergic to grass, we had tried corn and it was horrible. So the vet suggested wheat. She has been doing awesome with it for her sinus problems but then the dark area appeared. This is also exactly where her huge belly rests when she sits. She is also on a daily vet prescribed probiotic so a yeast infection seems unlikely. It’s not red and she doesn’t it’s it. But we might end up just taking her in to the vet anyways.

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We switched because she has really bad chronic sinus problems and she sticks her nose in the litter and it gets stuck to her nose. She ends up sniffing it up her nose or licking it off. Im allergic to grass, we had tried corn and it was horrible. So the vet suggested wheat. She has been doing awesome with it for her sinus problems but then the dark area appeared. This is also exactly where her huge belly rests when she sits. She is also on a daily vet prescribed probiotic so a yeast infection seems unlikely. It’s not red and she doesn’t it’s it. But we might end up just taking her in to the vet anyways.
I have 2 litter suggestions.
  1. Smart Cat litter (made of grass hulls-this is what we use and is completely dust free, not just an empty promise. It would be ok for her respiratory health)
  2. Pelleted litter (they make aspen, newspaper, and others)
I really can’t recommend #1 strongly enough. We used to use World’s Best, which is wheat. The package says 99.9% dust free but that is bologna. Dust everywhere so I knew she was breathing it in.

SweetBabyRae

Lairian
I have 2 litter suggestions.
  1. Smart Cat litter (made of grass hulls-this is what we use and is completely dust free, not just an empty promise. It would be ok for her respiratory health)
  2. Pelleted litter (they make aspen, newspaper, and others)
I really can’t recommend #1 strongly enough. We used to use World’s Best, which is wheat. The package says 99.9% dust free but that is bologna. Dust everywhere so I knew she was breathing it in.

The smell of her poop with pellet paper in our apartment is overwhelming and I’m severly allergic to grass, which is why grass litter hasn’t been an option. I wish I could do the grass litter tho. Maybe i’ll give it a try and see how bad of a reaction I have. I’m allergic to almost all species of grass and it’s an airborn and contact allergy.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@SweetBabyRae Agree with the vet visit for peace of mind -
I still would ask to rule out yeast or bacteria just to be sure

Has the vet mentioned if a Crystal litter would help and be okay for your allergies ?

SweetBabyRae

Lairian
@SweetBabyRae Agree with the vet visit for peace of mind -
I still would ask to rule out yeast or bacteria just to be sure

Has the vet mentioned if a Crystal litter would help and be okay for your allergies ?
The Vet said we have to stick to natural litters because she sniffs them up her nose or licks them off her nose, even the unscented litters. She just likes to stick her nose in it. We can't figure out why she does this. I'm good with every other litter just can't do grass or ones that have nuts.