Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

anyone want an IG?

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
He is driving me nuts!!!! lol he chases the cats all day long and knocks the baby down i don't know what to do with him! i'm definately not a dog person my husband bought him for the kids a couple of weeks ago and I have to admit that i don't like him....any suggestions lol

Brooke

Banned
He is driving me nuts!!!! lol he chases the cats all day long and knocks the baby down i don't know what to do with him! i'm definately not a dog person my husband bought him for the kids a couple of weeks ago and I have to admit that i don't like him....any suggestions lol

AW!! I've always wanted an Italian Greyhound!

Is he still a puppy?

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
yeah he was born on 3-22-09 he is so cute but i've never been a dog person so it is hard for me to adjust.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My mom has 2 IG's - I wish I could relate but they are both older now and soooo lazy. They sleep a lot and quickly lose interest when I try to play with them. In their younger days they used to do laps around the backyard with our full size greyhound! Good luck- I hope he calms down a bit!

Moonstone

Lairian
I definitively love the IG....wouaw....just behind the chinese crested. I'm sure I will have a greyhound one day.

Be patient...it's just a puppy, he needs to play !
;-)

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I definitively love the IG....wouaw....just behind the chinese crested. I'm sure I will have a greyhound one day.

Be patient...it's just a puppy, he needs to play !
;-)
I'm a certified IG nut LOL I have 3 IGs and love the breed, I also do alot of IG rescue - What you're describing sounds like a typical crazy puppy! If you want to talk more about how to train him and teach him to be calmer, PM me and I'll send you my e-mail address and phone number :)

And Brooke - I'm a devil, you know that - But if you ever seriously want to adopt an IG, let me know, I've got a good contact in Florida that does IG rescue and always has IGs that need good homes!

Brooke

Banned
I'm a certified IG nut LOL I have 3 IGs and love the breed, I also do alot of IG rescue - What you're describing sounds like a typical crazy puppy! If you want to talk more about how to train him and teach him to be calmer, PM me and I'll send you my e-mail address and phone number :)

And Brooke - I'm a devil, you know that - But if you ever seriously want to adopt an IG, let me know, I've got a good contact in Florida that does IG rescue and always has IGs that need good homes!

Ooh! Good to know! I haven't been able to think about getting another dog since I lost Virgil last November, but when the time comes (and I know it will...) I will for sure keep this in mind!

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You know what? I think I'm the only member with only one sphynx and no dogs. You guys are pet crazy methinks. :Wink:

Anyway, lovinsphynx, I'm not a dog lover either. I do admire their loyalty though. I find walking a dog joyful. But through my experience a dog can completely change in the first year or two of ownership. I'm sure he's a wild hellion now but I think with more time he will grow on you and then you wouldn't give him up for the world.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You know what? I think I'm the only member with only one sphynx and no dogs. You guys are pet crazy methinks. :Wink:

Anyway, lovinsphynx, I'm not a dog lover either. I do admire their loyalty though. I find walking a dog joyful. But through my experience a dog can completely change in the first year or two of ownership. I'm sure he's a wild hellion now but I think with more time he will grow on you and then you wouldn't give him up for the world.

El Gato, I'm another member here with no dogs. I like dogs and my fiance likes dogs a lot, but we don't have the time or space for them right now. Cats are a lot more independent...you can leave them for a couple of days with plenty of food, water, clean litter box and they'll be okay; they can take care of themselves. Dogs, on the other hand, is a whole other story....too much maintenance for me!

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ooh! Good to know! I haven't been able to think about getting another dog since I lost Virgil last November, but when the time comes (and I know it will...) I will for sure keep this in mind!
Ya, I understand that!!!! I've been there before, actually, I probably wouldn't have dogs right now if my boy friend at the time hadn't given me Hannah, my first IG, when we found out my previous dog, a Bichon/****er mix named Annie, was dying from a untreated and at that point untreatable spinal injury she suffered in the abusive home she had prior to me adopting her from the shelter. Hannah kept my heart opened, and was such a terrible puppy that she opened my eyes to the need for rescuers. To be honest, most IGs are terrible puppies, especially for people who have never owned this breed before - They're monsters!!! But by about 2-3 years, they start to mellow out some and become wonderful companions, but I can never stress enough how important socialization, group training, and exercise are for this breed at a young age!!! They are NOT like most small dogs, they are not a toy, they are not a good dog for someone who only wants a lap dog - They need structure, they need challenge, and they need a firm but soft and loving hand, they don't respond well to harsh training methods, but they also need consistancy, they're great at reading people and knowing how to get away with things!!!! 2 of my 3 IGs are sisters, and are only 15 months old, Aiyana is deaf which brings some intersting challenges but she's actually one of the easiest going, happiest little IGs ever, and very easy to live with. Her sister is a complete terror LOL Love her, but she's a trouble maker, and always seems to be into something. My Afghan I rescued at 15 months and he had ZERO structure or training at all, he was just left stuck in a back yard for the first 15 months of his life. He's a thief, a counter surfer, and LOVES paper! Sighthounds are my passion, I love them, they're not the easiest to train, you have to gain their respect, they're very very smart, but they're not going to do something just because you said so unless you gain their respect first!

MELODIEROCK

Lairian
I've had 3. I love them. My little girl right now is my life. She plays and loves all my kitties. She is 3 years old now and starting to slow down.. Not much though. lol They are the absolutely worst dog to potty train too. I got lucky with this one. I've spent thousands of dollars fixing their broken legs though. all 3! Well good luck. They are a great pet if you have the pacients for them.

Back