Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Anyone with an Oriental?

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi guys, I've asked on here if anyone knew of a Peterbald breeder in the UK, but the seems noone knows of any... :( I found one myself that had a litter, but it was too soon, and looks like they won't be having any more for quite some time, if ever.

Now I know the Peterbald stems from the Donskoy and Oriental, and I have been looking more closely at Orientals the last week or 2... I know they're not hairless, but can be very shorthaired. Thing is my hubby can't stand cat hairs on everything, and I have to admit I'm not a fan of that either, and I was wondering if Orientals shed like any other cat with fur? And also, they seem to have a lovely nature and similar to sphynx in many ways - can anyone on here give any opinions on this? Would be much appreciated!!

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm in the UK and I know a sphynx breeder if you are interested.

Thank you :) I'll remember that in case we land on another sphynx! I have just been researching other breeds, and I've been so taken with Peterbalds (but almost impossible to find a breeder in the UK!) and now Orientals, which also seem like an amazing breed and similar to Sphynx in nature, although some seem to say even more dog-like! It's always an anxious feeling when you deal with breeders I think, so being recommended one would definitely make me feel more at ease.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I do not personally have one, but have known them and I can tell you they do shed. They are sweethearts though, very talkative and affectionate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've seen this boy advertised, and he is furry but very shorthaired... I imagine the shedding would be minimal(?), or am I just kidding myself? :rolleyes: I find I have a real soft spot for the Havana babies.

1541576501665.png

1541576555647.png

Sheldon13

Staff member
I’d say it doesn’t hurt to go meet the cat. You will know if he is supposed to go home with you when you meet him. If it is kismet, you have yourself a new companion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I’d say it doesn’t hurt to go meet the cat. You will know if he is supposed to go home with you when you meet him. If it is kismet, you have yourself a new companion!

Oh, I wish I could... This particular kitten lives about as far away from us as is possible though (without leaving the country!), about an 8 hour round trip. It's often the case unfortunately :confused: We got lucky with Butchie and found a local breeder just 20 mins drive away, but mostly they seem to be located far away! I'm thinking when it comes down to it, a Skype "visit" first might be okay!?

TatyanaMassey

Lairian
I do wish you luck on your search for a Peterbald if you decide to keep at it. I must say my late Miss P was a Peterbald and she was the sweetest, most amazing darling Ive ever had and there will never be another like her. Peterbalds are also very hard to find in my area, (southern US) and so thats why I chose to adopt a Sphynx baby this time around. But if you ever do find a Peterbald you wont be sorry. I find they are more mellow than sphynes and certainly smaller, and a tad easier to manage as far as grooming. The Orientals are gorgeous as well though :)

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@susi794 Would you say the Oriental is different in temperament or personality at all from your Sphynxes? I also wondered if the shorthaired ones shed much? I know they just have the 'undercoat' of fur, right? :rolleyes:

susi794

Staff member
Pearlie is an absolute joy! She is vocal, very loyal, loving, and so very sweet. She loves her sphynx sisters very much and cuddles with them all the time. She loves to get brushed a zillion times a day if you’ll do it, and she loves to be told how pretty she is. She sheds quite a bit onto black or dark material, but not all over the floor or anything.

Attachments

• A729BE45-34D6-471B-861E-A9EFD94B1C4F.jpeg
    A729BE45-34D6-471B-861E-A9EFD94B1C4F.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 34

Bean0709

Lairian
Hello-

I personally owned an Oriental, Silly Willy, and he was truly an amazing boy!! I am attaching his photo. I loved him sooooo much...like my second child. To say he was needy would be a gross understatement! Every single place I went, he was there too. If he was on my husband's lap and I walked into the room....he would zip over to me and love on me and snuggle super close. He was a retired show cat. I adopted him at 18 mos. from a breeder in Texas who just so happened to be a veterinarian as well. She could not be nicer and full of advice, however, unbeknownst to the her,, Silly Willy was the result of a breeding that carried the most dreadful of congenital defects in Orientals, liver amyloidosis. There is no treatment or cure. Silly Willy became gravely ill and the choice was made to put him to rest. He was only 4. I was devastated. I miss him so much. Some days feel like the day I said goodbye. This was in April 2017. I adopted my Janusz in April 2018 (Sphynx in photo) so as not to ever replace Silly, but to help fill the hole in my heart.

If you get an Oriental, just please do your homework in researching breeders. I really thought by getting a cat from a breeder who has been doing it 15+ years and who was also a veterinarian would be a safe bet.

Best of luck in your search.

Attachments

• IMG_3799.JPG
    IMG_3799.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 27

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Bean0709 Oh my, he was gorgeous! And such an affectionate look about him. Can only imagine how hard it was to lose him, and all too soon as well...

If I could get another cat, I would like an Oriental, but sadly I have had to accept that Butchie is and will have to remain our only cat. Having been through a lot with his illness during the 8 months we've had him, it's become clear that it would be both cruel and irresponsible to get another cat, as the likelihood that it would also get infected with the same health issues would be a question of when rather than if... :cry: Fortunately, it would not be contagious for a dog, so once we get a bigger place with a garden, we can at least get him a canine brother or sister! :)`

Back