Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Apparently we don't like baths...

spygirl

Banned
So we had our first experience with a poopy foot. I can't believe I made it out alive...

So if the litter box needs to be scooped Justin does it. If I'm at home by myself and the litter box gets too full, I just put on my gloves and grab the edge of the litter liner, and toss it all out. Well, Frankie pooped and apparently it was more full than I thought and he stepped in it. Well, great. So I grab the wipes and my gloves.

Hhhmmm... Think I might need to rinse it off first. I know! He'll just get a butt bath!

I run some lukewarm water in the sink, so I can just get his back feet and butt a little wet before I scrubbed. OMG, it was like I was dipping him in acid! I've never heard him yowl like that before! So what should have been like a 5 minute quick foot scrub took about 30 minutes. He's sulking under the covers right now and I'm nursing my wounds.

I can't wait and see what happens on a full bath day....

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the "fight Club":LOL: Nudie hates baths too. I have been trying some suggestions on this site though like pre-filled tub or sink then pitchers of warm water to rinse (no running water) and she tolerates that much better. Next time he gets poopy butt/foot just go for the baby wipes and save yourself some wounds:LOL: Might want to tell hubby to scoop more often.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yikes! You poor thing. I think your Hubby is going to feel guilty about your bath wounds. I have a feeling he will be scooping more frequently.

TotenEngel

Banned
you have my sympathies, bath time in our house is also hell!
I'm trying to do quick 'in and out' baths more frequently in an attempt to get him used to it !!!

spygirl

Banned
Well, I know he scooped this morning before he left for work because he commented that he didn't poop last night. So I guess the little jerk held everything in till after Justin left!

I was hoping bath time wouldn't be an issue because he loves playing in the water. When I ran the water in the sink, he was playing with it, so I was thinking we were good. Apparently not!

Gizzymom

Banned
Maybe invest in a self cleaning litter box? We have the Litter Maid and love it!! Of course, it won't help if he steps in the poop as soon as he goes... but worth a thought :Smile:

spygirl

Banned
In hindsight, the wipes probably would have been enough. But since I've become pregnant, I'm even more of a clean freak than normal. In fact, I mopped the floor where he had been walking after he was clean! :LOL:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
In hindsight, the wipes probably would have been enough. But since I've become pregnant, I'm even more of a clean freak than normal. In fact, I mopped the floor where he had been walking after he was clean! :LOL:

Are you being a clean freak because your pregnant and nesting or because your scared the kitty will make you or your baby sick?

Just wondering,I've had 3 kids and I've always had kitties and litter boxes and puke, poo, you name it to deal with. All of my kids are healthy, normal, straight A, honor roll kids. Some individuals believe taking care of kitties can make you or your babies ill.

spygirl

Banned
Are you being a clean freak because your pregnant and nesting or because your scared the kitty will make you or your baby sick?

Just wondering,I've had 3 kids and I've always had kitties and litter boxes and puke, poo, you name it to deal with. All of my kids are healthy, normal, straight A, honor roll kids. Some individuals believe taking care of kitties can make you or your babies ill.

I think its more the "nesting" thing. I'm also having issues with smells, so it seems like I've started cleaning more because I love the fresh smell after a good clean.

My family kinda freaked because they were worried I'd get toxoplasmosis. I explained to them how very unlikely Frankie would have it, since he came from a closed cattery and is an indoor cat.

But no, I'm not worried about him making me sick. I just see something dirty and I have to scrub it clean! :LOL:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I think its more the "nesting" thing. I'm also having issues with smells, so it seems like I've started cleaning more because I love the fresh smell after a good clean.

My family kinda freaked because they were worried I'd get toxoplasmosis. I explained to them how very unlikely Frankie would have it, since he came from a closed cattery and is an indoor cat.

But no, I'm not worried about him making me sick. I just see something dirty and I have to scrub it clean! :LOL:

Gotcha - I'm not even pregnant and I'm that way now. For some reason when I get annoyed I clean. This has started in the past few years. Currently, I'm annoyed alot so I tend to do a lot of cleaning! I wouldn't worry about the toxo either, I've always had kitties and with my first kid I was cautious but as the new parent wore off I relaxed and nothing ever happened here. I guess some people could be more easily affected then others tho. They say with pregnancy everyone is different!
Goodluck with the pregnancy anyhow - its always an exciting time in life.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm a professional groomer and I can share a few tips to help prevent you from war wounds:

Clip nails before giving a bath. Do this a couple of hours or the day before so your kitty is not feeling attacked all at once.

Have your towel and everything laid out and ready before you go get the cat.

I take the soap and put some on a wash cloth and get it soapy so you are not squirting anything at the cat. The wash cloth is great for scrubbing the sphynx gunk away too.

I fill up two dish tubs with water. One soapy and one to only rinse with.

And most important talk to your cat in a calm/firm manner. They know if you are freaking our with them and it just makes things worse.

I'm not saying that I haven't had my own bathtime battles but I hope these little tips help. You get really good at it after ten years.

TotenEngel

Banned
I'm a professional groomer and I can share a few tips to help prevent you from war wounds:

Clip nails before giving a bath. Do this a couple of hours or the day before so your kitty is not feeling attacked all at once.

Have your towel and everything laid out and ready before you go get the cat.

I take the soap and put some on a wash cloth and get it soapy so you are not squirting anything at the cat. The wash cloth is great for scrubbing the sphynx gunk away too.

I fill up two dish tubs with water. One soapy and one to only rinse with.

And most important talk to your cat in a calm/firm manner. They know if you are freaking our with them and it just makes things worse.

I'm not saying that I haven't had my own bathtime battles but I hope these little tips help. You get really good at it after ten years.

Fancy coming round and doing my boy then!!! :LOL::LOL:

Bella07

Banned
Good Luck with bathing Frankie from now on! Feel like sharing your pregnancy spirit with me, and coming over to my house to help clean? :Wink: Best of Luck to you!

susi794

Staff member

Dear Lord, come to my house! You'd have so much to scrub and enjoy that clean smell.....just let me know when you want to arrive....LOL

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I found that a thick sweater works wonders. You'll get hot during bath time but it's a hell of alot better than lacerations.

spygirl

Banned
I found that a thick sweater works wonders. You'll get hot during bath time but it's a hell of alot better than lacerations.

When I did serious pet reptile rehab, I took in a super sick male iguana who turned out to be the spawn of satan who liked to try to mate with me. He had stuck shed all over him and required daily baths. I would pull out my super heavy winter coat and welding gloves to deal with him. I suppose I'm going to have to do the same with Frankie! :LOL:

Next time, I think we're going to try the tub. He'll jump in and play with the water draining after I get out of the bath. I'm also going to get some rubber duckies and see if he'll play with those.

I guess I'll have to start up a list for those who want a clean house. I prefer to be paid with boxes of chocolates! :Hysterical:

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
This thread was so funny! Sorry about your war wounds Micah, but reading things like how you made it out alive and spawn of satan were too funny :LOL: And the dreaded s**t foot :Woo: ick, been there done that. Poopy went absolutely mental when I figured he'd be "ok" with a quick bum wash....yeah, not so much.

Back