Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Are blue eyed sphynx eyes more sensitive to light

lpotter

Lairian
My blue eyed sphynx appears to be much more sensitive to light than my other sphynxs with green/yellow eyes. Her eyes are never open as large in a lit room as the others. Is this the same with all blue eyed sphynx. Her eyes are healthy.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Re: Are blue eyed sphyxn for sensitive to light

Butterball's eyes appear to be half way shut too. I think it's pretty normal. I imagine blue eyes are the same as green or yellow. Just like in people. Blue eyed people aren't more susceptible to light are they? It is kind of odd that the blue eyed sphynx's pictures always have the red eye tint.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Are blue eyed sphyxn for sensitive to light

Hi Lpotter welcome, I have never heard of that. Have you had your cat's eyes checked by a vet?:Laugh:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Elgato, are you sure his eyes are not slightly shut due to too much catnip? LoL:Shok:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't know about sphynx, but both of my Siamese cats have blue eyes. Sydney's eyes seem to be light-sensitive as she squints a lot, but Reno also has blue eyes and doesn't seem to be affected at all by bright light. I guess it depends on the cat?

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Humans with blue eyes are more photosensitive than other colors. This is due to the lack of extra pigments it takes to create other colors with the base of blue.

I've been in eye care for 14 years and have noticed that some people with blue eyes have no serious complaint while others are almost blinded by the sun. I think it is safe to take ths theory to felines as well.

Not a vet, just an ophthalmic tech :Wink:

Back