Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Are peas okay in their wet food?

Kristen G

Lairian
Hi, i recently saw an article from the FDA but it pertained to dogs, saying that certain grain-free foods were linked to contributing to heart conditions in dogs, and peas and chickpeas were mentioned in a negative way. but like i said, that was re: dogs. Does anyone know if peas are fine for cats because i feed exclusively wet food (Natures Variety Instinct) and the pate cans do have whole peas in them. should i be picking them out?

MeadowThorne

Lairian
it's with cats also ....peas contain pea starch is be safe n remove them. I took all my crew off anything with listed in article!
Also you might want to add dry food to their diet all wet is not good for their teeth. Just trying to help

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Kristen G according to my vet peas are not a problem for cats. I asked cause I sometimes feed them wet food that contains peas. The vet said it'll cause no harm. But it's totally unnecessary to put peas, or any other vegetables, in cat food. It's just a cheap filler.

Kristen G

Lairian
@Kristen G according to my vet peas are not a problem for cats. I asked cause I sometimes feed them wet food that contains peas. The vet said it'll cause no harm. But it's totally unnecessary to put peas, or any other vegetables, in cat food. It's just a cheap filler.
@Toa and Ross thank you, so basically its fine to keep them in there but would also be fine to pick them out, it seems since they have no benefit? what brand of wet food do you use? i've been really happy with natures variety instinct and my boys love it. the ingredients seem really healthy. my husband has been wanting me to find an alternative since nature variety is so expensive, and since we have 2 sphynxs now. i was looking into Hound & gatos which is a lil cheaper and also looks healthy but i may just keep them on what they have since they like it

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Kirsten G
That's indeed what it basically is. My boys eat the peas like it's yummy meat so I leave them in. I'm not from the USA so we don't have all the same brands as you do.
Mostly I feed my boys Royal Canin Gastro Instestinal (no peas) or Iams (some have peas). My girl doesn't eat that so I feed her natures menu: country hunter (almost pure meat). And of course my boys refuse to eat that.
When the other ingredients of the wet food you're feeding are good and healthy I think you are finding the right food. Most important is your sphynx does well on it!