Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Are sphynx supposed to have a huge belly?

Myrnaloy

Lairian
I was just wondering, cause my kitten seems to have the biggest tummy in the world. At the beginning I thought of it as normal, but when he sits up... it looks like a beer-tummy, and he's so skinny at the rest of his body xD
Is this normal? :Hysterical:

Bella07

Banned
Aawwww, kittens always have the bellies! Yes, from what I know, it's normal. Maybe when he gets bigger he'll grow into his belly :ThumbsUp:

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
On the other hand...

A kitten should not seem skinny with a POT belly. Pot bellies are usually indicative of worms/parasites.

Yes, yes, I know- another poop post. But it's worth looking into next time you are at the vet. And kittens don't necessarily have to have runny poos to have parasites.

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When Bayleigh was a tiny kitten, she would always get a big ol' belly after she ate, until she digested. My sister & I called it "Bayleigh Belly" and sometimes when we (the humans) eat too much to this day and get stuffed, we still say "I've got Bayleigh Belly!!"

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Snuffie always reminds me of a Vase because when she sits up all the way her head looks so tiny and she widens out into a big ole bootie! lol

ckutkuhn7

Banned

Attachments

• 07072010 004.jpg
    07072010 004.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 667

DrJRobinson

Lairian
I have a brother and sister who are fourteen weeks old. The girl is very lean, but the boy totally has a potbelly. I was told that it was normal for the breed.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Once again I'm going to be a harbinger of doom. Some sphynx are long and lean but most have big pot bellies. However, there are certain medical conditions that can cause stomach swelling. The wet form of FIP can cause a lot of abdominal swelling, as can tumors. And sometimes tumors can eat into a blood vessel and cause leakage of blood into the stomach, making it really swell up. And certain liver problems can make it swell. So I recommend a vet checkup if you're ever in doubt as to whether or not your kitty's stomach is too big. And I really strongly urge a checkup if the stomach starts to get bigger for some unexplained reason.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Once again I'm going to be a harbinger of doom. Some sphynx are long and lean but most have big pot bellies. However, there are certain medical conditions that can cause stomach swelling. The wet form of FIP can cause a lot of abdominal swelling, as can tumors. And sometimes tumors can eat into a blood vessel and cause leakage of blood into the stomach, making it really swell up. And certain liver problems can make it swell. So I recommend a vet checkup if you're ever in doubt as to whether or not your kitty's stomach is too big. And I really strongly urge a checkup if the stomach starts to get bigger for some unexplained reason.

You are not the harbinger of doom! I much prefer the "voice of wisdom". :BigSmile: Although 'harbinger of doom' sounds more powerful. :Cool:

Back