Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Arg! Stupid people drive me crazy!!!

spygirl

Banned
I need to vent...

I work at PetCo as a dog trainer, as some of you know. My Texas Blue Lacy, Blue, usually comes with me because he's a great demo dog. Some info on Blue to give you some background...

Lacy dogs are hunting and herding dogs. Very high strung and very loyal. They make fantastic guard dogs and I pity the person who ever tries to break into my house. Blue is also a trained "big game" dog, meaning he generally goes straight for the throat when going for his prey. Blue was most definitely the omega dog in his litter. When he came to me in April, he had no confidence, would growl at any strangers he met, and was scared of everything. Now he points game birds, is my demo dog for class, and we're doing schutzhund training. I'm very proud of my boy and how far he has come.

So today I had a class at PetCo. Today, Blue was wearing his "gentle leader" harness, which is a training aid for teaching dogs how to walk nicely on the leash. I used to it demo how to put it on and how it works. So Blue is sitting beside me and I'm talking to my students and a lady walks by. I thought she was going to walk past us, but she turns around, grabs Blue by the fact, and exclaims, "What a pretty boy you are!" She has her face pressed up right against his nose. I remain calm, step between her and Blue, and tell her yes he is pretty, but he does have issues with being grabbed.

Then she starts yelling at me that his harness is too tight. She bends over and starts to manhandle my dog! She grabs his feet, jerks the harness around, and starts messing with the harness where it goes under his arm pits. I calmly explain how this particular harness looks tight, but it is exactly how it is supposed to fit and I tell her why. At this point, Blue's eyes are wide and dilated, he's drooling, and trying to hide behind me.

She tries to walk around me and grab him again and starts to blab how she's trained dogs all her life, is a member of PETA and the SPCA, and blah, blah, blah. I calmly tell her my first degree is Applied Behavior Analysis, specializing in dog training and if she knew anything about dogs, then she could easily recognize how stressed she is making him and how you NEVER, EVER grab a dog you don't know. Made me sssssssssssooooooooooooo mad!!!! Needless to say, my voice was getting louder and louder as the conversation wore on.

I'm so proud of my boy though. He saw that I remained calm and knew I was going to take care of it. Never growled once. Kinda upset he didn't though... Would have taught that idiot a lesson!

Sorry for the long post... I just needed to vet to people who would understand!

Gizzymom

Banned
I can't believe a stranger would grab ANY dog by it's face, let alone a larger dog!! Not to mention trying to adjust the harness!! Talk about stepping over the boundary!! I'm impressed with your reaction.. I would have shoved her and told her to keep her hands off my dog!!! And then I would have been fired... :ThumbsDown:

Inferno12

Banned
WOW, the nerve of some people. I am also impressed with how you handled the situation with her. I probably would have done something that got me fired.

If she was as "all knowing" as she claimed to be then she would have known to NEVER grab someones dog, especially his face. Im proud of your boy! Give him an extra treat tonight for being so good :ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I hate people like that and just saw your post on fb.
I also hate PETA.
In fact when you join the TICA lists they check to see if you were a member of PETA Ect and if so you get denied.

spygirl

Banned
One of my co-workers saw the incident and said I was clenching my fists really hard.

I have to be careful to keep calm because one of the Lacy traits is they're really watchful of their owners body language. If you get upset, they get upset.

I had a jerk who lived in the neighborhood across the street pull up in front of my house and start to yell at me saying I had just cut him off in traffic. I was gardening in my front lawn! How could I have just been driving? I told him I think he meant to people who lived down the street who had the same car I had. Blue was in the front with me and when the guy started to approach me, shaking his finger at me, Blue got in between us and started to snarl. I was visibly shaken up when the guy approached me. I was home alone and this huge, strange man was angrily approaching me. I have never felt nervous about being alone again! :LOL:

spygirl

Banned

I also hate PETA.
In fact when you join the TICA lists they check to see if you were a member of PETA Ect and if so you get denied.

That's interesting about TICA checking to see if you're a PETA member. That's good to know. My husband said I should have replied with, "Oh, you're also a member of People Eating Tasty Animals?!" :Hysterical:

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
PETA don't know if I should laugh at or pity those guys.
Animal rights is an important field but talk about being contra productive in an aproach.
Southpark made a really good show about them by the way for those who, like me, totally love SP. :)

The "lady" you met should've benefited from a fist to the face it sounds like. :Wink:

On a side note your topic name is perfect...
Arg means angry in Swedish :LOL:

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow what an idiot!! I almost wish your dog had bit her! LOL Seriously though you would think some dog would have bitten her by now! She probably does that to lots of people and one of these days shes going to grab the wrong dog!
Glad you held it together!

I had an idiot person come into the clinic where I worked years ago, and came into the back to "see the animals" who had just had surgery or were getting a procedure done etc. I dont know who approved her coming into the back...but when she got there she stuck her face up against a cat's cage, literally an inch away while the cat was hissing and spitting at her. While it hissed and screamed she exclaimed "oh look at the kitty, how cute" and didnt back away! About an hour earlier this same cat had flown through the air and attatcked a vet tech and it had taken 3 people to get the cat off her back. When I told the woman to back away from the cage, because the bars were an inch apart and I was worried a claw would come out and remove her eyeball....the woman (who had her little girl with her) said, "oh its ok, we have cats at home".
I just smiled and waited to see if the cat would rip her eyelids off....it didnt.....(sigh)...some people deserve to be bitten!

spygirl

Banned
I told Blue after the lady walked away that I wouldn't have yelled at him if he did bite her. It just kills me how some people are so stupid!

TotenEngel

Banned
Well done to you and Blue for not biting her!!! lol

When I was working at Billericay our local RSPCA officer would come into the surgery with massive, mirrored wrap round shades and approch dogs from above their heads! One of our patients growled at him in the waiting room one day and as soon as he opened his mouth to say something to the owner, myself and the receptionist got in there first and gave him a good dressing down in front of a waiting room full of people! Think he took his shades off each time we saw him after tthat!

firehillqueen

Banned
It never fails to amaze me how stupid people can be. I use to have wolf hybrids.. I don't raise them any more, not because of the wolf, but because of stupid people who wanted them for the wrong reasons.

I am so proud of your Texas Blue Lacy for not losing his composer, but I think maybe I would have been tempted to bite her myself !:LOL:

Being a member of PETA and SPCA doesn't give her the right to touch another person's animal! It was not only RUDE but STUPID!:Angry:

spygirl

Banned
I'm so happy to say that yesterday's incident has not affected Blue in any way. We went walking today and it was pretty busy on the trails. He ignored everything around him and sat politely when I stopped to talk to people. He's such a sensitive, submissive boy that I was afraid he might revert back to being scared of people.

And I appreciate all the kind words! Its so nice to have a place to vent!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
wow the nerve of her!!

I'm hoping you have a better day tomorrow. Are you allowed to ban her from the store? I would!!

lawgrl

Lairian

I also hate PETA.

That's really interesting, I had no idea they checked. I wonder if CFA checks for that too, I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Does TICA check for other groups?

Also, I wonder if she grabed him like that on purpose to try and make a scene and/or get a rise out of you (but, then again, I'm super cynical...)? It just seems weird to me. You did a great job handling that!