Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Ark Naturals - Happy Traveler?

NYC Andrea

Lairian
Has anyone tried the Happy Traveler capsules by Ark Naturals? They were recommended to me by a holistic pet store to ease vet anxiety.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@NYC Andrea hello I am not familar with ark naturals (I just peeked at reviews on chewy )
Surely members will chime in

When I adopted two sphynx on short notice I was told were aweful travelers , car sick , .
Then I read catnip can be calming ... so nothing to lose ,
I crate them with a yeooow cat nip banana and covered the crate on 3 sides with a towel .
Drove near 7 hours and not once sick and slept the whole way .

I do the same when we go to the vet.
I keep a towel in the crate and use it on exam table
Amd do a little tellington T touch massage on body and ears
Here is a little video clip (on a fur kitty )

Keep us updated on the ark naturals product
Will be helpful to all of us

Hugs and head smooches

Last edited:

NYC Andrea

Lairian
[QUOTE="Yoda mom,

Hugs and head smooches[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice! Fluff is a great traveling companion, we fly together a few times a year. I give her pet naturals calming treats to get through security and it’s a breeze after that.

Our issue is the vet. We had a very bad experience and now she goes full on aggression and feral cat when she smells a vet. She doesn’t like cats, so it seems, and the pheromones in a vets office are too much. I tried the comfort zone diffusers, and she had the complete opposite reaction. She thought we got another cat! The travel spray (for whatever reason) we like, just not the room diffusers.

We’ll test out the happy traveler and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
Awhh precious you travel together
FWIW my Toby has an opportunity reaction to feliway plug ins
He go totally mad , hissy growling .

Do you think it would help if the vets amd techs scrub wash their hands in the exam room before handling her ( I have yet to see the sink used in the vets off e come to think of it hmm ).
I bring my own wipes for the exam table amd towel. That’s where they stay . I do not let them wamder about on the floor so they aren’t actively exploring -and I do not know what conditiom was treated In the exam room prior to us . They do due diligence cleaning between but I err on side of caution .

My vet used cheese whiz lol when meeting my moms kitty who she adopted from the woods .
Perhaps a gel treat paste?

NYC Andrea

Lairian
When we get to a vet, she’ll start growling. She’s okay in the room if it’s just the two of us, but she will not sit on the table. It’s lap or bag, nothing in between. She will not let any vet or vet tech touch her. At all.

I give her calming treats for airport security because they too wear gloves and have metal tables. So, she’s not trusting of them.

I don’t want to give her prescription pills for a vet visit if I don’t absolutely have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kauna

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Yoda mom great video and advice!

I am looking forward to hearing of the review of the ark naturals product. My girl gets car sick as of the last 2 years. I used to be able to travel with her in the car and no problems. Not sure what changed in that time frame. She is usually good until we get to the vet's office. I have gotten pretty good at bringing an extra towel with us on excursions and being able to change it while at the vet's or in the parking lot. Once she is there she is like her old self. I was contemplating getting her a new carrier to see if that helped. May have to look into these calming treats as another option.

Sheldon13

Staff member
@NYC Andrea hello I am not familar with ark naturals (I just peeked at reviews on chewy )
Surely members will chime in

When I adopted two sphynx on short notice I was told were aweful travelers , car sick , .
Then I read catnip can be calming ... so nothing to lose ,
I crate them with a yeooow cat nip banana and covered the crate on 3 sides with a towel .
Drove near 7 hours and not once sick and slept the whole way .

I do the same when we go to the vet.
I keep a towel in the crate and use it on exam table
Amd do a little tellington T touch massage on body and ears
Here is a little video clip (on a fur kitty )

Hugs and head smooches

FASCINATING video. I had no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NYC Andrea

Lairian
@Yoda mom @kauna

1st try of Happy Traveler- the holistic pet store told me to open the capsule and sprinkle it over food versus getting Fluff to swallow a pill (which I can’t do). Today I sprinkled half a capsule over tuna/cat food mixture and she ate about half of that (so a quarter of a capsule maybe?). It seemed to work, however, I wanted to gauge her reaction to it without a stressed environment.

After about an hour, she tucked herself in and snoozed like a log for about 4 hours. This is not unlike her normal daily naps, however, this was a deep and sound sleep. When she gets over tired her little eyes get red circles and she blinks a lot, and this happened a bit. So, the tryptophan seemed to kick in pretty well. I’ll try again this week and see how she does with a known stressor.

Fluff doesn’t get car or motion sickness, so I don’t know how this product will work for that. So far, I think it’s a keeper.

I’ll probably regret this sound napping tonight when she’s wired at 3am.