Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Aromatherapy essential oil diffusers toxic to cats ? Pets?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Duglynukem et al,

Yesterday while shopping with my mom I went to purchase an aromatherapy essential oil diffuser - only two left .
My mom said oh no those are poisonness to cats ! So I promptly put it back so I could return to ask members .
I will ask my vet too

Found this article mention toxicity of certain essential oil scents

Asking members what their knowledge is of the latest info on essential oil diffusers?

Thank you in advance

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've read before that certain essential oils are toxic to cats. I haven't looked into it enough to know exactly which ones, I just fill our diffuser with water now and run it without oils. The ones mentioned in the article do sound familiar to what I've read before.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I don’t know all the ends and outs but I remember reading that tea tree oil is not ok.

I have a diffuser and dissuade peppermint and sometimes lavender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I make most of the cleaners I use in the house and will add some spearmint and lime to them to add a fresh smell. I don't defuse them though because I tend to get headaches.

Duglynukem

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My wife uses a diffuser occasionally and uses essential oils. There is a lot of information out there regarding essential oils and animals, some of it is hype and some is based on science. Some essential oils are not recommended for cats specifically, those containing phenols. Always dilute with water or a carrier oil. When diffusing always ensure the cat can go to an area away from the diffuser. Edit to add: not all essential oils are equal, some are higher purity, better quality than others.

Last edited:
Back