Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

As Requested, My Wooter

I decided to make a new thread to avoid further derailment of the Toilet Paper thread.

This is my Wooter when she was one day old.

For those of you that may not have seen the story of how we found and named her, here is a repeat...

My husband was heading out to have a work break and he heard a baby kitten mewing at the top of its voice. He went out searching for the mama and baby. No sign of mama anywhere but the kitten was found by herself, umbilical cord wrapped up in a bush, underneath my husband's boss's window.

So, Wooter's name is basically the boss's last name but a couple letters different. Hubby didn't want to name her specifically after his boss, that would just be too odd for him.

Hubby carefully got her loose and came straight home to enlist my help in caring for the kitten's immediate needs.

I was volunteering at an animal shelter at the time so we took the kitten there because there was a Queen with a litter who was about a week old. But after a couple days the shelter director advised that if we were interested, fostering Wooter until she was old enough to be adopted would be in her best health interest because of her comprised immune system.

We talked it over and decided if Wooter came to our home we would keep her as a family member. After investing so much time into raising her, there's no way we could have let her go. So, we bottle raised Wooter as a "Foster to Adopt" case. The shelter helped with some of the cost of raising her, and her spay.

There were some really scary times when Woot's health was poor and we didn't think she was going to make it through but here it is, 14 years later and she's sassy as she ever was!

Wooter is our "Honorary Manx" and "Wannabe Sphynx". She has untreated neurological issues. When she was around a year old she decided to start mutilating her tail. Medicating her proved to be too stressful for her and dangerous for me. So with a bit of hesitation, we decided to have her tail amputated down to around an inch and a half long. She also over-grooms so she has nearly bald patches on her tummy and legs.

She may look pretty and sweet, but we always warn visitors to be aware because one never knows when she's going to have a wild streak and come an' gitcha! :ROFLMAO:

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Your story about Wooter brought tears to my eyes. That little cutie be left all alone in the bush. Happy your husband found her on time and you both decided to take care of her. She grew out to be a beauty. And she found herself the most loving home she could wish!

@Toa and Ross when my husband heard her, he couldn't not do anything! He also has a soft heart for animals and we knew that we were in a good place in our life to help that baby out. I wasn't thinking she'd rack up so many medical bills so early in her life but thankfully she got most of it out of her system in those first 18 months it seems! :p

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow amazing story! Sometimes cats just happen into our lives. I also have done a lot of work with rescue kitties (though all my foster cats were placed in New loving homes) and it is really rewarding and often the stories are both heartbreaking and wonderful. Good on you for loving this beautiful girl all in!