Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Aspiration from drinking too fast

Lizzardkitty

Lairian
Hello. Clark recently had a trip to the vet and was diagnosed with aspiration pneumonia. I caught it early and the vet told me that means fluid in the lungs. So immediately I told her how he often dunks his head in the water dish, chokes and then drinks so fast and has a heaving/choking fit where he puts his body really low to the ground for 30 seconds before stopping to lick his lips. So here's my dilemma, he's on antibiotics and is better but today drank too fast and had a fit again. I went out and bought a fountain so we will see if this help. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm so paranoid that my baby is suffering and I just want him better. Looking for answers.

Attachments

• IMG_20180929_075418.jpg
    IMG_20180929_075418.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 64

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sorry to hear you're dealing with this issue. Hope the fountain will work! Sending healing vibes to your boy

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I hope the fountain helps! Our girls love theirs. Before we bought it we would sometimes leave a sink dripping slowly for them to sip at. Maybe that would be something good for Clark?

Another idea would be to get one of those ''obstacle course" dishes that they usually use for dogs. I think if you filled it just high enough for Clark to lap up some water maybe that would help too?

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hmm our little girl needs her second shot soon.
She's greedy on eating and drinking so this topic makes me wonder..
Although mine is still a baby in growth so it is probably normal she's a piggy.
How old is Clark if I may ask?
Still positive vibes send and toes crossed the fountain works out well! :love:
Or any other suggestion/idea's from fellow Lairians.

Lizzardkitty

Lairian
Clark will be a year old in November. He's doing better on meds but still has a heaving fit once and a while. I've read that sometimes cats drink too fast and throw up but Clark doesn't do that, just heaves heavy for 30 seconds. My fear is that there is an underlying issue but our vet wants us to try the fountain for a bit and my bf just says all we can do is watch him. I feel hopeless. He's acting fine but watching him go through his fits makes me feel useless because I can't do anything but wait for it to pass. If anyone on here has had a similar situation, please let me know your thoughts. Thanks for all of your support.

D

Deleted member 14512

Hope the fountain works!
BTW, my little Ollie does that too. Is it something I should be worried about? He's been doing it since he was a kitten.

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello. Clark recently had a trip to the vet and was diagnosed with aspiration pneumonia. I caught it early and the vet told me that means fluid in the lungs. So immediately I told her how he often dunks his head in the water dish, chokes and then drinks so fast and has a heaving/choking fit where he puts his body really low to the ground for 30 seconds before stopping to lick his lips. So here's my dilemma, he's on antibiotics and is better but today drank too fast and had a fit again. I went out and bought a fountain so we will see if this help. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm so paranoid that my baby is suffering and I just want him better. Looking for answers.
Hello there !
Oh the poor baby , I wonder why he does this ?
Just a thought here I have a water fountain for my two it wasn’t expensive £20 from eBay it was , the water comes up the centre onto a plate and that’s how they drink from it .. go on eBay check them out , you’ve nothing to lose and it could stop him gulping water down
Mine is green and white
Xxx

Yoda mom

Staff member
Can you share a video of his cough/reverse sneeze?
My Toby had reverse sneezing
To think of it the water I use is not really cold.

Lizzardkitty

Lairian
Can you share a video of his cough/reverse sneeze?
My Toby had reverse sneezing
To think of it the water I use is not really cold.
I can never get my camera out fast enough but here is a video of something similar:

He does it if he drinks too fast or the water is too cold. It's usually when I have the heat on too I noticed and I have forced air so I bought an air purifier too but then it makes the house cold so I'm trying many things to rule anything out.

Lizzardkitty

Lairian
Hi guys it's been a while. My poor Clark has another URI and congested lungs. He's on another round of antibiotics but it doesn't seem to be helping his fits. I'm waiting for the vet to call me back. I still wonder if it is reverse sneezing? I feel so hopeless

Sheldon13

Staff member
I wonder if there is a fistula that is allowing fluid to migrate from the esophagus to the trachea? Has the bet ruled this out?

Fluid buildup can also indicate heart issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lizzardkitty

Lairian
Update on Clark. After x-rays and blood work the vet didn't find anything wrong with heart or lungs and he was negative for both leukemia and feline aids. The infection is gone and he was taking Clavamax (I think I spelled that wrong) but they just gave him a steroid because they think it may be inflammation due to the forced air in our apartment. Other than that he is acting totally normal so we will see if this works.

Lizzardkitty

Lairian
Oh my goodness. I have tons of pictures of the trouble maker! The steroids seem to be helping. I've been running my purifier non stop. It makes the house a little colder but I just turn the heat up a bit to compensate. The humidifier they stick their little faces in and play with the steam. This may be a step in the right direction. All I know is I'm committed to my boys and no matter what it takes, I'll be with these two.

Attachments

• IMG_20190104_202717_874.jpg
    IMG_20190104_202717_874.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20190106_082906.jpg
    IMG_20190106_082906.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190105115036731_COVER.jpg
    00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190105115036731_COVER.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20181212_193313.jpg
    IMG_20181212_193313.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 28

Gary

Lairian
I know this is an old post and not sure you'll see this...but wondering if you ever found a solution to Clark's choking after drinking? My cat does the exact same thing and has for years. Had him go to the vet recently and they took x-rays but they said they didn't really see anything wrong. He doesn't seem to be bothered by it too much but he almost always chokes after drinking a lot of water.

Back