Aussies! Feeding your cat kangaroo? | Sphynxlair

Aussies! Feeding your cat kangaroo?

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Health & Nutrition' started by pinkgoth, Oct 17, 2013.

1. pinkgoth

pinkgothLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $2,438.52
    Ratings:
    +164
    • Scary sphynx
    • Black bat
    Hi guys! This is mainly targeted at fellow Aussies out there...has anyone tried feeding your cat kangaroo? As I'm a vegetarian, I am really oblivious when it comes to meat but obviously as my sphynx can't be vegetarian I was wondering if roo is a good meat to feed it. The problem is, is it safe to serve raw? Any advice?

2. nfaerie

nfaerieSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $11,161.81
    Ratings:
    +673
    Hey fellow Aussie!! Nah I don't feed raw meats, also vegetarian and don't have the stomach for it. There is a food Raw forum part, with tonnes of advice if you want to feed raw. If you just give every so often you won't need to add anything. If you want it to be main diet you need to get the vitamin powder stuff to make it complete.

3. pinkgoth

pinkgothLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $2,438.52
    Ratings:
    +164
    • Scary sphynx
    • Black bat
    Yes I had a browse through the forum, and admittedly I felt a bit queasy reading about ground up bones and whatnot *shudder*. My partner is having a laugh at me because I won't even cook him a steak but I'm willing to feed the cat raw meat! We'll leave it up to debate but if all else fails thank goodness for kibble!

4. nfaerie

nfaerieSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $11,161.81
    Ratings:
    +673
    There are some decent wet foods out there that are grain free. I am currently feeding a combo of whiskas kitten gold, Royal Canin kitten instinctive (they aren't grain free. Any wet food that says "gelling agents " I found out in my research means that they have some sort of grain in it)... And adult wet cat food Ultimates Digestive Sensitivity which has no grains and is found at woolworths. The other flavours apart from the Weight Control one have grains. I also free feed Royal Canin kitten kibble. Other mentionable brand available online is Earthborn Grain Free wet food. You can feed it to both adult and kittens. I have had my kitt for about 4 weeks, and discovered she does better with grain free. Less stinky poop.

5. pinkgoth

pinkgothLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $2,438.52
    Ratings:
    +164
    • Scary sphynx
    • Black bat
    Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely make note of that :) It's even better if it's easily available in Australia then all the better, so it's great to know Woolie's has something grain free too!

6. AussieSphynx

AussieSphynxLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $426.42
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there

I live in Sydney, Australia with my Sphynx Archie, Maine Coone Orlando, Moggie Albert and three dogs. My cats all eat Roo! Only raw though. I don't even lightly cook it. I buy my Roo mince from a pet supply store in a 5kg bag and they assure me it's preservative free. I sometimes buy the "human" quality Roo mince from my local supermarket and the cats really love that also. They don't seem to favour one over the other, but you can experiment and see what works for your cat. Yes, Roo it safe and, to the best of my knowledge, the Kangaroos are farmed and not wild caught - thereby the meat is wholesome and parasite/chemical free. Do some research and you'll find that roo is a lean, protein rich, nutritious meat for pets.

Raw is the best way to feed any meat for any carnivorous animal - it just makes sense to remember their primal instincts and habits. I don't believe feeding raw increases the risk of internal parastites, illnesses etc.... but do make sure you de-worm your pets regularly for their general health anyway! As a precaution - it's not necessary, but may make you feel better about feeding raw meat to your cats - try freezing small amounts of raw mince first (theory has it that freezing meat will destroy any "lingering" parasites completely). I think I'd prefer my cats to ingest a few (albeit very rare) parasites, than to ingest all the unnatural, added chemicals, preservatives etc found in commercial pet foods - just read the labels on some of them.... it's enough to make you sick, let alone them! Simple is best.

If you are at all unconvinced, I suggest you feed your cats the "human grade" kangaroo meat products from the major supermarkets - it will cost you considerbly more, but may be worth the peace of mind it affords you as meat for human consumption must legally undergo and pass very sringent safety tests ! TIP: buy kangaroo from your supermarket whenever it's on sale or "reduced for quick sale" - I buy the kangaroo steaks (unmarinated) and simply chop it up into nice big chunks and feed it to my cats - they L O V E it and it gives their teeth and jaws a good chewing workout!

I'm a firm believer in "raw, meaty bone" diets for carnivorous pets. It just makes logical sense to me...... You can try the frozen RAW "BARF" diets - they come in Roo, Turkey and Fish varieties. The good thing about the BARF diet is that it contains finely ground soft bones and cartilage which is essential to a balanced natural raw diet - plus there's added yoghurt, fruit, parsely etc. It's good stuff. And the cats' poop is less smelly, firmer and easier to clean up! If your cats happily eat raw chicken necks, wings etc, as a part of their main diet and not just as a treat, then you can be assured they are eating a great diet!

When I have the time, I'll make my own BARF - I tip a 5kg bag of raw roo in a huge bowl, add a few tablespoons of natural ABC culture yoghurt, a couple of raw egg yolks, finely grated small garlic clove, 1/4 raw grated apple/carrot, fresh finely minced parsely and some raw finely chopped chicken necks, I pierce a couple fish oil tablets and squeeze the oil into the bowl also. I'll then spoon the mixture into little snap lock backs and freeze for later use. My cats LOVE this. In fact, it looks and smells so good that my children think they're having hamburgers for dinner!!!! If you're not sure about ratios/balance of ingredients or recipes, just google it.

Sorry for the long post..... I do like to talk!! In a nutshell, kangaroo is a safe, nutritious meat to feed our animals (and humans!!). With an abundance of the stuff here in Australia, we'd be mad not to make use of such a great, sustainable resource!! Go for it!

7. pinkgoth

pinkgothLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $2,438.52
    Ratings:
    +164
    • Scary sphynx
    • Black bat
    Thanks for that, actually that recipe sounds like a great idea because then I can freeze and reheat large amounts of it! I was in Sydney for three years but now I'm in Canberra, I just hope my cat doesn't hate winter here because it does get pretty cold! But I will definitely try overcome my fear of meat and give your recipe a try.
    And yes, I was unsure about how safe raw kangaroo would be because I have no idea where it comes from! But the human-safe roo sounds like a good idea, I've noticed woolie's sells big bags of pet food roo mince too but I have no idea what the difference is... I will definitely investigate next time I go shopping :)

8. AussieSphynx

AussieSphynxLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $426.42
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi again

The difference between the human grade kangaroo and the bags of pet grade roo you are referring to is, I think, that the pet one contains preservatives whereas the other one does not. The human grade roo mince is found in the "for human consumption" section (ha ha!) of the meat dept. - far away from the pet section so there's no confusion and errors. It's hard to avoid chemicals and additives for us humans, let alone our pets, which is frustrating.

I'm all for grain free pet foods also (esp kibble). Woolies and Coles both stock grain-free dry food options for both dogs and cats and they seem good quality and our dogs/cats are thriving on them. I am also a fan of Black Hawk brand kibble - it's Aussie owned and made (yay!) and very reasonably priced for a 'super premium' kibble, but it's not grain free. To counterbalance this, I mix a small bag or two of grain free dry cat food in with the Black Hawk and create my own "gourmet" mix - you need to shake the bag around to mix it all in together! Just top it up (with grain free dry food) as the supply diminishes... when it's all gone, start all over again. I've been doing this for ages and its a fantastic way to stretch the budget as well as give my pets the best diet!

Be careful with imported brands of kibble - many are sterilised via gamma radiation and I'm always wondering what effects this may have on the product and the animal/s that consume it. Anyone else in the same boat???

BTW - try a tin of sardines (or mackerel) in tomato sauce (or oil, if you prefer) with your cats once a week! It's cheap as chips (go for homebrand versions - remember it's still a "human grade" product). I'll bet my bottom dollar they will love it and it does wonders for their coats, eyes and skin! My cats prefer the tomato sauce version and gobble it up in no time and fight over it. No diarrhoea, no problems or side effects with this whatsoever! My furred cats have great shiny, silky coats and no skin problems or itchiness whatsoever - and my naked boy Archie has lovely, supple skin with no redness, rashes or irritations to speak of! They all have beautiful, bright healthy looking eyes and I attribute this to my efforts with their diets! Prevention is better than cure and it all starts with what goes into their mouths!
    Good Luck! Don't stress over it all - just read labels, do a bit of research and off you go!

9. pinkgoth

pinkgothLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $2,438.52
    Ratings:
    +164
    • Scary sphynx
    • Black bat
    Ewwwww sterilizing food with radiation sounds disgusting! It's a pain trying to import food into Australia that's for sure, which is why it's nice to get some opinions on local brands and produce. Quite luckily we're bursting with fresh food so where I can I'll definitely be feeding my cat with fresh food in addition to the kibble...the way I see it, it's kind of like humans- cookies are filling but do not make a wholesome meal!

My partner's previous housemate used to keep a huge supply of sardines on hand for her Bengal, and you couldn't open the fridge without her trying to make a mad dash for a nibble! It was hilarious xD I do have sardines and tuna on toast myself quite often so this will make breakfast time interesting that's for sure! I'm really surprised your cats like it in tomato sauce though, the Bengal only wanted it in water and ONLY water but then again I suppose it was just a picky cat!

Luckily I still have a couple of months of research to do on what brands will work best, but thank you so much for your advice :)

10. 2Knights

2KnightsLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $237.44
    Ratings:
    +28
    I feed mine raw roo mixed with Vets All Natural. They had awful poops and regular bouts of IBS which is now a distant memory. I do buy pet grade Roo BUT it is all processed locally and I know the people and they use no preservatives.

The boys looks the best they have ever looked.

11. pinkgoth

pinkgothLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $2,438.52
    Ratings:
    +164
    • Scary sphynx
    • Black bat
    My breeder says at the moment she's feeding her kittens beef mince. Would you recommend mixing it up or slowly transitioning from one meat to the other, or even giving my cat a different meal on different nights? I hope they're not too fussy!

12. cleozmama

cleozmamaV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $20,878.74
    Ratings:
    +783
    YOU SHOULD NEVER FEED YOUR CATS GARLIC OR ONIONS! IT CAN CAUSE ANEMIA! I don't mean to shout or be rude, but onions and garlic are highly toxic to cats.

• Like Like x 1
    • pinkgoth

pinkgothLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $2,438.52
      Ratings:
      +164
      • Scary sphynx
      • Black bat
      Whoops :( That kinda sucks but good to know, thank you.

• captain_tinky

captain_tinkySenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $14,270.46
      Ratings:
      +976
    • Ickushouse

IckushouseV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $14,512.85
      Ratings:
      +1,998
      • Praying Mantis
      • Lady bug
      • Grass hopper
      • Venus Fly trap
      Just sayin' "hi" to the Aussie sphynx parents here! (I lived in Sydney, also visited Canberra and Brisbane!)

• Catzzzmeow

CatzzzmeowModerator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $389,465.45
      Ratings:
      +29,258
      • Scary sphynx
      You have a solid week. Antibiotic should kick in by day 2 :) then another week plus a few days and you will be set. As long as it looks like a regular URI you should remain positive :)

• pinkgoth

pinkgothLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $2,438.52
      Ratings:
      +164
      • Scary sphynx
      • Black bat
      Hi back Ickushouse! xD Hope you come back for a visit, though maybe now isn't the best time for the Sydney region thanks to bushfires...keep your cats indoors everyone!

• pussiette

pussietteSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $9,935.70
      Ratings:
      +551
      • Blue Sphynx
      • Orange Sphynx
      • butterfly 4
      Macro human grade kangaroo steak or fillet boiled in filtered water my kitten is allergic to food and sees a team of dermos. Anything else gives her hives, diarrea and rash. Pet food kangaroo gives her these health problems too.

• Ickushouse

IckushouseV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $14,512.85
      Ratings:
      +1,998
      • Praying Mantis
      • Lady bug
      • Grass hopper
      • Venus Fly trap
      Hi! Yes, very sorry to hear about the bad fires. I imagine the air is pretty nasty (my stored mental snapshot is a picture-perfect sky over Sydney Harbor).

• pinkgoth

pinkgothLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $2,438.52
      Ratings:
      +164
      • Scary sphynx
      • Black bat
      I don't mind spending a bit more on human-grade kangaroo, as boyfriend eats it too and there will always be leftovers because I don't eat meat, so I suppose we'll have one lucky cat! xD