Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Away for two weeks ...

Maua_Peterbald

Lairian
Hi,

I am new to this forum, but I`ve started to read your posts some time ago, when I started my research about the mysterious sphynx world. All of a sudden, two weeks ago I`ve became a proud mum of a 2 year old male Peterbald. It`s my first cat and I am already crazy about him. Frodo is in good health and got used to the new mum and new place pretty soon. The thing that bothers me a bit is that he sleeps almost the whole day and night, spending only maybe 2-3 hours a day eating, playing and cuddling.
But what worries me even more is that next week I need to go abroad for 15 days and don`t know what to do. I live alone, so I can leave Frodo in my flat, which he already got to know and ask my friend to come every day to take care of him. The second idea is to bring him to my father`s place (new place, new human but 24h care). I am confused and don`t know what to do ... any help greately appreciated

maua

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If Frodo is healthy and doesn't require scheduled medication, I would keep him at home. Kitties are very territorial and are always happiest in their own environment. Ask your friend to spend time cuddling and playing with him and he should be fine.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
If Frodo is healthy and doesn't require scheduled medication, I would keep him at home. Kitties are very territorial and are always happiest in their own environment. Ask your friend to spend time cuddling and playing with him and he should be fine.

Ditto! Goodluck - I hope your trip goes well!:ThumbsUp:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome, glad to have you post :ThumbsUp: Congrats on your new baby. I would leave him home why you are away and have someone spend some time with him daily. Enjoy your trip.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yeah, he'll be fine at home. Just make sure someone comes to check on the little kitty. As for the sleeping, sometimes Butterball will sleep alot, and sometimes he won't. It really depends on my schedule. If I'm sleeping, he's usually sleeping. If I'm not there he's usually sleeping. If I'm home and being active, he's being active. It's pretty normal for a cat to sleep 20 hours a day.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If it didnt take him long to settle into your new home, then I would take him to your dads so he would get lots of attention.
Unless your friend can come to your house and sit and cuddle with him for an hour or so...or if it took him a long time to get used to your house then he should probably stay where he is.
When we go somewhere Nofuratu cant we take him to a friends home so he has someone to sleep with at night etc because he hates being alone....but he adapts to unfamiliar surroundings within an hour or two.
You probably know your kitty best and which he would like better!
Adventures of A Naked Cat

lawgrl

Lairian
Hi there, when we go out of town for more than a day or two we always take Twiggy and Pork Chop to stay with the cat sitter (for shorter trips of a day or two, we usually keep them at the house and have someone come to check on them). I know that everyone's cats are a little different but ours have never had any trouble getting used to a new house (Twiggy actually really enjoys staying in new places) and they are sooo much happier to be in a house with people full-time while we're gone. For such a long trip, I'd vote for a stay with Grandpa.

ktate88

Banned
I vote Grandpa if he adapts well. Niles loves going to work with me and playing with the other cats.

If your guy doesn't adapt well have someone come everyday, and ask them to spend more than a hour a few times since these cats are more friendly than most. Niles is almost always in the same room as me.

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi! Congratulations and welcome to the Lair!
My vote is for grandpa's house. That way someone will be with him all the time, so if he's awake and wants to play, get some lovin' (or knock on wood--needs medical attention) someone is there. I think he might be awfully lonely if left home alone. Plus, he has 15 days to get used to grandpa's house. I don't know if my cats are typical, but generally it only takes them about 10 minutes to feel completely at home:ThumbsUp:

Enjoy your trip!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to Sphynx Lair. Just remember, whatever you decide to do, Frodo will be just fine.

I love the name as I'm a big LOTR fan. I once tried to name a cat Bilbo, but my 2 year old at the time kept saying "Dildo" so I switched it to Smeagol.

Maua_Peterbald

Lairian
Thanks for reassuring me, I am really concerned about him, and want to spare him as much stress as possible. So the decision is - holidays with grandpa :Hysterical: Frodo loves people that come to visit me, so I guess he will be just fine after the inital unhapiness. As for the name, it was given by the previous owner, I am not much into Tolkien, rather prefer Terry Pratchet, but he reacts to the name when called, so I`ve altered it a bit to Fredzio which is sort of diminutive from my late grandfather`s name, whom he does resemble :Laugh:
Dildo - that`s a good name, a friend of mine has got a dog named Dido, fortunately not many people in the village know what dildo is ...

Last edited:

lawgrl

Lairian
Yay Grandpa! I think Frodo will have a great time and will love being able to have people around full-time while you're gone. Plus, now you don't have to worry at all about what's going on at home in between pet sitter visits (I don't know about you but I'm a worrier!).

Maua_Peterbald

Lairian
Hi everyone,

Just to let you know that everything went just fine :ThumbsUp: Frodo was doing great, my father absolutely got to love him and misses him a lot already.

thanks

JacksMom

Banned
I vote grandpa, too, but that being based on the amount of time you are gone, and the only having human attention for an hour or so a day for 2 weeks; I know he'll be fine, either way, but I vote grandpa. My Jack adjusts really well and quickly to everywhere he goes. He does not stress out at all; he just makes himself at home and enjoys company of perfect strangers. So, only you know your little guy best, I would do what you think best suits his personality regarding adjustment, human attention needs, etc...

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I agree- good luck!

Back