Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Awfully Dirty Ear?

When we got Franklin, his ears were pretty clean and didnt have much oily buildup. I cleaned them once on his first spa fay with us. For the last 2 weeks, Ive had to clean out his right ear almost every single day. Whats weird is that its only the right ear, the left is 100 percent clean and has been since spa day about 3 weeks ago. Vet looked at a sample under the microscope and said he sees absolutely no infections, mites or eggs from mites and that Frankie must just be an oily boy.
Has anyone else experienced this? Or one ear being more filthy than the other? I almost dont feel like I should have to wipe out his ear every single day. He also has no head shaking or ear scratching and it doesnt bother him a bit when I clean out his gunk. The inner ear collects the normal reddish brown sphynx gunk but sometimes the upper ear gets yellowish and crusty

Yoda mom

Staff member
@TatyanaMassey My one boy does seem to have ome ear thst gets dirtier quicker .
I would ask the vet about the sometimes yellow and crusty "

Many years ago my vet got me hooked on Trizultra with Keto for ears for all paws here .
I get at allivet or chewy online . It has saved me so much on vet visits for ears -
Twice a week I wipe ears out - I actually don't flush ears .

I wet round cotton cosmetic pads, qTips , and qTips precision qTips (brand only bcz others too sharp IMHO) with Trizultra .

I sit kitty on my lap and wipe and rotate between wiping and the qTips - I use my thumb when holding head to gently pull back to open up area more .
*Lol when I first started I wore a little headlamp works great !

I use the qTip brand precision qTips to gently swirl the outer ear button flap
Geez those holds gunk I never knew was there!

Interesting I found my crew got dirtier greasier ears and skin when I fed them Acana years ago.

I also like the Trizultra is dual purpose ! Can be used in ears and on skin

Cleaning Sphynx Cat ears.

Attachments

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I agree that maybe ask the vet about the yellow crusty ones, but our boy does generally have one ear that is dirtier as that's the side of his head he sleeps on.
I have heard great things about the brand Nudie Naturals for their ear cleaner. It is all natural and designed for Sphynx. They sell on Etsy and are meant to be fantastic I am actually about to order orpehus a grooming pack.

Both of our guys have pretty dirty ears. Looks like tar. We clear every few days. No itching or irritation, just mucky.