Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Baby possibly over-eating?

Novie

Lairian
Hello! I'm new to the site, and fairly new to owning a sphynx (we've only had our girl for about a year now!) so I might be completely off-base, in which case forgive me!
Now we have two cats, a domestic short hair and our sphynx, but lately, our hairless baby's been eating all the food out of both bowls? Usually she eats her fill and goes on her way, but now when she leaves the kitchen, she's eaten all of her food, and her sister's as well!
So I know it's common for sphynx cats to free eat, but I am worried about potential behavioral issues/too much food?
Thanks for any help!

inthebuff

Lairian
Hello! I'm new to the site, and fairly new to owning a sphynx (we've only had our girl for about a year now!) so I might be completely off-base, in which case forgive me!
Now we have two cats, a domestic short hair and our sphynx, but lately, our hairless baby's been eating all the food out of both bowls? Usually she eats her fill and goes on her way, but now when she leaves the kitchen, she's eaten all of her food, and her sister's as well!
So I know it's common for sphynx cats to free eat, but I am worried about potential behavioral issues/too much food?
Thanks for any help!
The breed is known for overeating. You might read up online or in books or ask your vet. I recommend supervising feedings or separating by rooms. I frequently feel like the lunchroom pet police. My sphynx is supposed to be on prescription food and tries to vacuum up all the other cats' foods. Piggy!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hello @Novie and welcome to sphynxlair for you, your hairy cat and your naked girl!

Sphynx can eat a lot and need to eat a lot. Do you feed dry food, wet food or raw food? And how old is she? When she's a kitten and is growing they do eat a whole lot!
So it's difficult to say if she's overeating or just eating what she needs.

Do you know how much she weights? I think it's good to weigh her the coming weeks so you can follow it and maybe get an idea if she's getting to fat.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Novie not sure, but is a concern also that your baby eats too fast causing them to eat too much? If so Google slow feeding dishes for cats. There are several out there that make cats eat much slower. This in turn might help your baby feel fuller and not eat as much because they have to slow down. Here's a pic of some of the out there..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436610950.017727.jpg

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Novie not sure, but is a concern also that your baby eats too fast causing them to eat too much? If so Google slow feeding dishes for cats. There are several out there that make cats eat much slower. This in turn might help your baby feel fuller and not eat as much because they have to slow down. Here's a pic of some of the out there.. View attachment 59669

Totally agree here.

But Sphynx DO, as @Toa and Ross said, NEED to eat quite a bit. For the last couple of months (6 through almost 10 months of age now), Max has been eating about a pound of raw food per day (110 g x 4 times per day). He burns through it with activity and growth. But I always let him eat as much as he wants in each sitting and cover any leftovers to feed at the next meal. He usually has his fill within 5 minutes (no need to wait for 20 minutes except mornings when he gets a secret second breakfast... shhhh).

Novie

Lairian
Hello everyone! It's been a super long time and a lot has been going on so I'm sorry for never getting back to anyone!
It turns out yes, our sphynx Charlotte (commonly known as Sticky) was just over-eating! little fatty!
We caught her in the act of eating out of her sister's bowl when she was only halfway through her own, trying to make it look as though Maynard was the one eating all the food.
We've since tried several different methods to see if anything helps, and she's actually ah. quite rotund, now.
But worry not! We've figured out a food regimen that works for everyone and she's started to just eat her fill and walk away instead of inhaling it all right that second!
Thank you so much for all the advice, and we're looking into the slow feeders as an alternative!

Back