Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Back to the group again.

MeowsAndWoofs

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It's been awhile since I've posted. Busy life...life changes...but back in the group now. I still have Rowe...and he still has herpes virus...but managing with lysine. He has some new issues and I will be taking him to the vet tomorrow. Can someone please let me know what symptoms to look for with HCM. Thanks.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
It's been awhile since I've posted. Busy life...life changes...but back in the group now. I still have Rowe...and he still has herpes virus...but managing with lysine. He has some new issues and I will be taking him to the vet tomorrow. Can someone please let me know what symptoms to look for with HCM. Thanks.
Welcome back! This may help, I hope its not the issue your having - pleas keep us posted:

Symptoms:

The symptoms of HCM are varied, most likely due to varying degrees of severity and possibly different genetic mutations in individual cats. Most frequently, patients are diagnosed when they have no symptoms but after a veterinarian detects a heart murmur or an irregular heart beat during a physical examination. When symptoms arise, they may include signs of congestive heart failure (increased respiratory rate , labored breathing, shortness of breath, lethargy and appetite loss, or changes in daily behavior such as hiding or seclusion); sudden loss of function of one or more legs due to blood clots obstructing blood flow to the affected leg(s); collapsing spells from an irregular heart rhythm or small blood clots traveling to the circulation of the brain (stroke); and occasionally, acute sudden death may occur without any symptoms being noted.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Only 50% of cats diagnosed with HCM ever show a sign of a heart murmur. This is why so many members are shocked when their cats have seemed so healthy and then unexpectedly clots/paralysis or sudden death occur. The only way to definitively diagnose HCM is from scanning. Most vets say getting a baseline scan at 1 years old is a great time to start. Our vet said once diagnosed or not officially, breathing rate is the first thing to monitor.

MeowsAndWoofs

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I am not sure how to reply back to my original post...it's a bit confusing.

Rowe was seen by the vet yesterday. His heart sounds good, no murmur, and he's never had breathing issues. Blood work showed no kidney issues, no liver issues, and not diabetic!

He is having focal seizures 1 two weeks ago and 1 two nights ago. Both were different in their appearance. First one he had a bit of head twitching and when he stood up he walked with his butt curving one way and his tail curving the other direction. Was over rather quickly. Next one he crouched and in extreme slow motion was putting his paws up around and in front of his face rotating paws. Almost looked like if he was on drugs and was chasing butterflies perhaps. Then he got up and did the curve walk again. He hissed at me. Then he got in my lap and laid there for about 20 minutes just looking odd. Then he was back to normal. Vet said it could be epilepsy or brain tumor. For now we monitor him watching for worsening seizures, longer seizures, or taking longer to recover. No med yet.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MeowsAndWoofs , head smooches to Rowe for the good news no murmur amd good blood tests !
((Hugs))) to you !

@Catzzzmeow may be able to share some seizure info as well as her girls experience with idiopathic epilepsy

Sure others will chime in too

Please keep us updated often

Here are threads I found using the upper right search box for seizures
Search Results for Query: Seizures | Sphynxlair

Last edited:

sassyskye79

Lairian

Rowe was seen by the vet yesterday. His heart sounds good, no murmur, and he's never had breathing issues. Blood work showed no kidney issues, no liver issues, and not diabetic!

He is having focal seizures 1 two weeks ago and 1 two nights ago. Both were different in their appearance. First one he had a bit of head twitching and when he stood up he walked with his butt curving one way and his tail curving the other direction. Was over rather quickly. Next one he crouched and in extreme slow motion was putting his paws up around and in front of his face rotating paws. Almost looked like if he was on drugs and was chasing butterflies perhaps. Then he got up and did the curve walk again. He hissed at me. Then he got in my lap and laid there for about 20 minutes just looking odd. Then he was back to normal. Vet said it could be epilepsy or brain tumor. For now we monitor him watching for worsening seizures, longer seizures, or taking longer to recover. No med yet.
Does your kitty have thyroid problems? Mine has started these seizures and it makes me so sad to watch. The Ver said it was age and probbal

How is your kitty and the seizures ? Mine started having then and she was diagnosed with a thyroid problem and is on meds. I just wonder if they are related problem.!?

Back