Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bacteria in tummy

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
hi guys, sorry I haven’t been on in a while but I have been reading info on here, Binky has been very unwell. She has had chronic diaherria with blood and mucus for 2 weeks she was meant to be spayed which got delayed, she refused to eat and just slept all the time I honestly thought she was dying. After numerous visits to the vet I had her poo and blood tested. Her blood had to many white cells so we knew she was fighting some infection then the poo came back it tested she has some bacteria in her tummy.

The vet hasn’t gave me a name of what bacteria just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. She takes erythromycin ethyl succinate twice a day for two weeks, we are on the first week she seems to be more playful than she has been but still rests a lot, after drinking water she wretches like it hurts, it has improved but still there. I have disinfected everything in the whole house, as the vet said she can get reinfected if her poo is somewhere. I will get her poo retested when she finishes her course of meds to ensure it’s away. Binky has had this on and off since I have got her, I am wondering did she have it when we got her or when she stayed in a cat hotel. Sorry I have so many questions, am worried sick.

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks So much, yeah she had two probiotics thinking it would settle her but it didn’t work! She seems to be getting better each day so fingers cross, she’s still so young that’s why I got scared but there hardy wee cats even thou I think she is an actual baby haha!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Staceyxxx , Awh hugs n head smooches sent!
Sending a lair full of prayers for sweet Binky

How is she today?

Please keep us updated

Can the vet's office give you the name of the tummy bacteria to share with us?
So we can chime in more

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Bless thanks so much, shes getting better each day shes playing a little harder and longer and she chatting again which is good! Xxx

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks so much for your support and kind words! Haha yeah she’s still a wee bit cheeky even thou she’s poorly it’s in there genes I think, which just too cute! Xx

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi guys,

Thought I’d give you a wee update, so Binky was getting better playing and being a diva haha after her meds finished i got her bloods tested and her poop sent away to ensure she was ok! The bloods are coming up with too many white blood cells, so just waiting on the poop tests! She still plays but I know she isn’t her diva self! The vet is now testing her poop for 2 things now and we will Hav a meeting when he receives the results! So scared, started shivering like not all the time it’s like one big shiver, my home isn’t cold it’s like the Caribbean as it’s winter here n she refuses to wear clothes! Anyone experienced this with a sick baby! Xxx

RoseEllen

Lairian
I’m so sorry you are going through this! I can’t imagine how you must be feeling with your baby being unwell. I couldn’t think of anything else when my Bruce was throwing up for 3 days and looked terrible. I could finally breathe when he got back to himself. I really hope you find out what is going on and can treat her accordingly. Sending you my prayers for Binky

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ahh bless thanks so much that’s really kind, well I did have a melt down yesterday crying n snots the lot haha but just need to be strong for my wee girly! Aww bless wee Bruce what cool name! Xxx

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Update on Binky- the vet called an informed us that Binky has tritrichomoniasis, more than likely has had it since I have gotten her as she had poop trouble since then. Vet said she has ordered her a prescription which will be here for Monday she will be on 3 tablets a day and paste daily for 14 days. She also said she has bacteria, a virus and parasite in her tummy which I didn’t really understand. I have an apt tomorrow to go over it all and to get my baby a check.
Binky is on heat and due to being unwell her getting spayed was delayed, I think I get 2 hours sleep a night, she shouts all night I have tried playing until late, wrapping her tight in a blanket and hugging her, but it still continues, any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Xx

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi guys, so my baby binky has 4 things in her tummy bacteria, parasite n a virus, being; tritrichmonas, gardia, campylobacter and corona virus. She has paste just now for the gardia and we are waiting for her prescription which will be in on Monday for ronidazole n she will take 3 tablets of this for 14days! Has anyone got any experience of this as I have read that this medication has bad side effects! As Binky has been poorly since I have got her the vet thinks she has had these things when I got her but you can never be sure, she has never been near any other cats since I have had her and can these things be cured! I tried asking the vet these things but she just says one thing at a time but my mind is lol over the place! Xxxx

Yoda mom

Staff member
Healing vibes sent!
I have read here that the meds you are getting is used for tritrichomonas

I will look for the link

Did the vet give you s pill popper ? If not you can call and ask them for s pill popper .
Makes life easier pilling the cat

My boy gets 3 pills a day and is used to the pill popper -

Glad you got adiagnosis amd a treatment plan

Big hugs to you amd head smooches to Binky
Keep us updated often

@Staceyxxx here's a link
Tritrichomonas foetus (Diarrhea)

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Bless thanks so much! Sorry yeah my baby has a lot going on! Oh I never thought of that I will ask the vet for a s pill popper as it’s such a shame her whole life with me has been me giving her meds! Am just praying there light at the end of this as last week we thought she was a goner but an antibiotic jab brought her round so that last 2 wks so unsure if shel need another soon! Xxxxx

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh she takes panacure for giardia n last wk she had antibiotics for campylobacter! N the 2 nd poop test showed tririchmonas excuse my spelling! Honestly I have been scrubbing my house everyday for the last month changed litters, toys boiled washed blankets! She is a wee soul, and she is now in heat bless her! Xxxx

Yoda mom

Staff member
Awh
A lair full of healing vibes! Good catch by the vet checking for tri tri
It is sometimes missed when trying to figure out poo issues

She has the best love and care! That is all she knows

I can imagine how hard you have been working around the house scrubbing and tending to your baby!
Big hugs to you!

Please please keep us updated! We worry like one of our own!

Believe me I get the pilling routine! The pill popper has been a godsend
Now I just tilt head back plunge pill (I started with a follow up with a little water )

You can ask the vet for one of those small needless plastic plunger syringes for the water after pilling

My boy doesn't even need the water now - he just takes his pill amd goes bsck to sleep !

Kudos to you for all your love and care to Binky!Oh my in heat now ! Yoowl
Oh my

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Aww thanks so much you give me strength! Oh that’s such a good idea With the water too makes it easier! Yeah the vet is soo good she had a Bengal last monthwith the Same issues so tested for tri tri, thank god as now she can get treated quicker! Haha I know I don’t have a social life nowadays only another Sphynx owner can understand hahaha crazy cat people! Lovs n thank you so much for your kind words n encouragement! Xxx

Yoda mom

Staff member
Checking in for updates and sending head smooches to all paws !

Ps - I feel like dr Doolittle!
I have my rottie on phenobarbital 4 pills a day , joint meds amd
Pills to Yoda 3 times a day and drops for his eye issue thank goodness looking much better
Lol no social life here either !
I would rather be home with my babies than out on a Friday night

Back