Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

bad breath and a little brown on his front teeth

sphynxjinx

Lairian
grims breath has been quite bad for a bit and i thought it was normal until looking some things up saying it could indicate health issues. his gums are totally fine but i’ve noticed a bit of a brown stain to his teeth. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated !
87E51D71-C162-419C-80F6-881B89F33726.jpeg

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi. Staining on sphynx teeth is quite common; it's usually from the oils on their skin when they groom themselves, but if its combined with unusual bad breath or you're concerned then your vet should be able to let you know if there's anything wrong.

sphynxjinx

Lairian
Great advice given. Our one boy has very stained teeth. I inquired and my vet said the same it is the oils from cleaning. He said thing to look for that they have nice healthy pink gums….they should not be white or red/inflamed.
just seeing this now!!! thank u so much. im gonna check in with the vet mainly because his breath is pretty bad, but his gums look great otherwise!

Rhaevin

Lairian
Hi. Staining on sphynx teeth is quite common; it's usually from the oils on their skin when they groom themselves, but if its combined with unusual bad breath or you're concerned then your vet should be able to let you know if there's anything wrong.
Just now saw this… please, please get him to a vet. I had noticed one day Mal's breath went from his usual kitty breath to a “dear god what died in your mouth?!” odor. It was terrible! He meowed in my face and I thought it was gonna knock me out. Turned out he had an oral infection, and upon closer inspection he had several bad teeth that had to be pulled; something about bad genetics is what the vet said. Teeth pulled, antibiotics, and pain meds that made him loopy and nauseous, but a little slippery elm paste before his meds kept the nausea in check so he was able to eat. We were both grateful when the two weeks were up, and he’s been fine ever since, though I do add something to his water to help with dental health. Good luck and keep us posted!

sphynxjinx

Lairian
Just now saw this… please, please get him to a vet. I had noticed one day Mal's breath went from his usual kitty breath to a “dear god what died in your mouth?!” odor. It was terrible! He meowed in my face and I thought it was gonna knock me out. Turned out he had an oral infection, and upon closer inspection he had several bad teeth that had to be pulled; something about bad genetics is what the vet said. Teeth pulled, antibiotics, and pain meds that made him loopy and nauseous, but a little slippery elm paste before his meds kept the nausea in check so he was able to eat. We were both grateful when the two weeks were up, and he’s been fine ever since, though I do add something to his water to help with dental health. Good luck and keep us posted!
going to take him to the vet this week!! thanks so much. praying for good results.

Back