Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bad Breath?

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Do any of your kitties have bad breath? Freya had truly foul breath but after discovering mouth ulcers and infection and going a round of antibiotics it is waaaaay better, but it still smells bad, not horrible. but when she drools and rubs on you it still smells unpleasant. Her mouth is all cleared up so I dont know what to think. Is this normal?

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Nofuratu's breath could peel paint.
Im not kidding.
He doesnt have ulcers or gum disease. We brush his teeth and use oral cleansing gel but his breath is that of legends.
He caught a mouse today and let it go for a minute, and the mouse lay there on its side for about 10 seconds looking quite dead, then got up and ran away......it could have been playing possum..........
or it could have been that Nofuratu's breath knocked it out ...
You can get oral cleansing gel from your vet that has enzymes that break up tartar and plaque, and it does help some animals with their breath, as does brushing.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you so much for sharing that, lol, I missed her mouth infection for too long and felt terrible about it, I don't want her to suffer for my stupidity. It's a huge relief to know others have nasty cat breath, lol

Knocked the mouse out with his breath, ROFLMBO!!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Snuffies breath smells like beef with a slight fish smell,,I guess its her cat food. Its not awful smelling, just not minty fresh like we all perfer. lol I feed her crunchy treats that are sort of large and help cut back on tarter and I brush her teeth every 2 weeks or so. Goodluck with the halotosis! (sp?)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
LoL...:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Im not kidding.
He doesnt have ulcers or gum disease. We brush his teeth and use oral cleansing gel but his breath is that of legends.
He caught a mouse today and let it go for a minute, and the mouse lay there on its side for about 10 seconds looking quite dead, then got up and ran away......it could have been playing possum..........
You can get oral cleansing gel from your vet that has enzymes that break up tartar and plaque, and it does help some animals with their breath, as does brushing.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Considering that your can did have problems in the mouth i would have the vet take a peek just to be sure everything is ok and there is nothing hiding in there. Some have worse breath than others but just because there is a history I would follow up.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Considering that your can did have problems in the mouth i would have the vet take a peek just to be sure everything is ok and there is nothing hiding in there. Some have worse breath than others but just because there is a history I would follow up.
Thanks, we did that and she got the all clear:ThumbsUp: It is NO where near as bad as it was, but because of her past issues, I do worry more about it. She used to just be stinky, but now you don't notice it at all unless she licks your face or drools on you, lol She does get wet food in the AM with Lysine in it, so maybe that contributes? It helps to know others have questionable breath as well, :BigSmile:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
It is funny because Athena has pearly whites but her breath is well not the best, and Leo has some yellow spots and his breath is fine. hmmm sounds backwards to me.

Gable has gross breath lately. He does get wet food twice a day.

How do I go about brushing his teeth? What do I use?

I know he is going to be very upset and not only do I not want to traumatize him, I don't want him to claw my skin off!

Poor boy needs a tic tac...

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Im not kidding.

:LOL::LOL::LOL::Hysterical: That really made me laugh!

I notice Mo's breath most when he yawns in my face! Which he does A LOT! It STINKS and he has good teeth and gums, they get an occassional brush and the vet checks them over too! Always makes me chuckle that cats breath smells fishy even when they havn't eaten fish. :LOL:

Back