Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bad Experience with a Vet in Hamilton, Canada

Bailey21

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
This is probably going to be somewhat of a rant so I apologize in advance, but I just wanted to share my experience with a local vet I've been dealing with in Hamilton. I've been super stressed out trying to find a reputable vet in my area for my babies neuter that I actually had 3 appointments made for him until I decided which vet I felt most comfortable with. I finally had my mind set and I was going to take him to a clinic just down the street, as they did the surgeries on Sundays, and we had booked on a Sunday of a long weekend so that my boyfriend and I would both be home to look after him the following 2 days after surgery. They also claimed to have experience with other sphynx clients. The receptionist called me hours after making the appointment informing me that if I didn't want the vet to use ketamine, the price of the surgery would jump from $75 to $150-200. This made it clear to me that the vet must use ketamine as their main anesthesia, and the receptionist continued to tell me that the veterinarian said he has never had a bad experience using ketamine on exotics. It left a bad taste in my mouth that the surgery would now cost more than double to use another "cocktail" as she stated. Fast forward to last night, I got another call from the receptionist stating that she didn't realize that it was a long weekend, and the vet was refusing to perform the surgery on the Sunday that she had booked me for (even after I mentioned when booking how it was perfect that the next day was a holiday to keep an eye on him). It was just incredibly frustrating as I had already cancelled my two other appointments to have my surgery here (the other hospital left a bad taste in my mouth as well)! I immediately cancelled and re-made my appointment with another clinic that clearly stated to me in an email that they do NOT use ketamine at all for anesthesia, instead with Propofol as induction and ISO gas during the procedure, as well as having other sphynx clients. They also offer in-house pre-anesthetic blood work for only $80, and the results only take 15 minutes. Sorry for the long post, but I figure other sphynx owners that may live in Hamilton/GTA might want to stay away from this ketamine clinic.

Wow, clearly not all vets are the same. Thanks for sharing your experience, it's helpful to know that some vets are better than others and doing your research is important!

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
What a stressfull situation for you! Glad you cancelled the appointment for the surgery and will go to another vet

Bailey21

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
What a stressfull situation for you! Glad you cancelled the appointment for the surgery and will go to another vet
The clinic didn't really give me a choice in cancelling, since the vet was refusing to perform the surgery on the day they booked me for! I'm really happy I chose to go to another vet. This clinic only has one veterinarian, he does not perform declawing surgeries at all there, and he told me he hasn't used ketamine for 7 years! I wish finding a great trustworthy vet was much simpler, I'm sure it would be if our kitties were just "pets" and not our children :LOL: