Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bad/good ways to hold Sphynx cats?

chillinq88

Lairian
This has been going on for a little while now, but I just wanted to make sure of this before consulting the person about the behavior.

Around April-ish is when this began to form. This was 3 months after we had gotten Artemis (the sphynx in this situation) and she had been doing fine. This happened earlier, and it's kind of in a pattern of how this goes down. One of my parents (we can call them "E" for now) had seen that the cat was licking the oil from a bottle of oil on the counter next to the sink. First "E" had gone over and violently snagged her from the counter to put her in a crate so she doesn't get the oil, (this is also the case when we're cooking dinner, having lunch, etc..) and Artemis tried to jump on the floor and run away- doing this, E took her by her sweater and carried her around 3 feet in the air until they reached the crate. Artemis looked as if she was choking, and I decided not to say anything just in case it wasn't that big of a deal- I don't like seeing my elders torture my poor baby, and I want to know about this before it becomes worse in anyway.

E has also picked her up by the scruff (which I believe is natural, but very high in the air), smacked her off of counters/tables, pulled her tail, and has thrown her. All of these make me very uncomfortable when I catch E doing it, but still I stay silent just to make sure it's not something to be super afraid of.

The only thing I"m worried about is that Artemis will get hurt in some way- say E smacks her off of the counter and lands funny on the ground, or is sent flying right into the counter or the fridge, and she gets bruises or hurt very badly. Can someone help me? All help is very appreciated!

meandmytwo

Lairian
Yikes. That's terrible behaviour. I'm sorry you're going through this - I'd be very uncomfortable also.
I would definitely suggest to this person that this is not acceptable.

There are kind ways to put a pet in their place, so to speak, and more effective than using force. Being worried about injury is valid - I'd also be concerned about the poor kitty feeling abused and acting out.

I often remove my boys from counters and whatnot and always just lift them off and to the floor and tell them "off". Or put my hand on their rear end and direct them to the edge to jump. Usually just telling them "off " (takes a few times but we're getting there!) prompts them to jump down on their own now.

If it's a concern while cooking to keep the kitty out of the kitchen, plan ahead if you want/have to crate... perhaps play her out a little beforehand and offer a treat to train her to the crate. I don't have personal experience with crating but think it could work in a more positive way than the manner your parent has been doing it.

A lot of cats can be trained to at least get off things with "off" and stay away from things with "no". It's up to us to be patient and consistent. It doesn't work in all cases, and I feel for those folks who really have their hands full.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Many sites say this about picking up a cat by the scruff:
Lifting a cat or suspending its body weight by its scruff (the skin on the back of its neck) is unnecessary and potentially painful. When a mother cat does it to a kitten it is very different. The only time most find it appropriate to hold by the scruff, but not carry by the scruff is at a vets office when they need to hold a cat for an exam to help keep them in place. I can see why you would be upset.

Patti

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My boyfriend is pretty strict with the boys but certainly does not go to those extents.
Spanks and the words NO happen occasionally but he has never ever grabbed them by the scruff or carried them 3FT in the air!

If the boys misbehave and Jason jolts up from the bed or couch the boys already know at that point that they did something wrong (i.e in the kitchen, jumped on the counters mostly) and then they usually scatter however Jason does catch them in the act which results in a wee spank and a firm no/bad boy!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh, my goodness, that is so cruel. CRUEL!!!!!
I don't care who it is. Your cat will be permanently
damaged. You need to leave there. You need to put
a stop to this or give the cat to someone who will
give her love attention spoiling no a adusive home.
Your Mother needs to be reported.
This is so unexpectable..........
Do something now. Don't wait another day.
If you don't your as much to blame as her!!!!!!!!

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'd be taking E by the scruff and tossing them out... off a balcony! Humour aside, I get the silent thing, especially with an elder. There is a status quo, but that is your baby. If it was a three year old child, would it be acceptable? No it's not, therefore not ok for baby kitty. I'd say something. Easy as would you let E discipline your child in that manner kinda thing. Just say they are not to discipline your cat. Leave it at absolutely no repermanding or anything. Draw that line cut and dry

Robin Matsumoto

Lairian
I agree that the treatment this person is giving the cat is cruel and unnecessary. I would at least say something to him/ her. Speak up! This is your cat. I feel that these cats are more sensitive than most cats. My boy sphynx jumps up on the counter all the time, I just pick him up and set him down or say now and my boy will jump off. It's not the end of the world if the cat jumps on a counter. No one would handle a child in that manner, why is it different for a cat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I was thinking about this last night as when I got home from work little Philly had gone onto the counter and took a banana off the
counter onto the floor, ripped a peel off of it, made a mess because it was all mushy and gross.
He got a spank and then a time out.

Maybe you should tell E to not discipline your baby but to put your baby in a time out until you can deal with Artemis in a more kinder decent manner.

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I should clarify - A time out for our boys is no toys or anything just placed in the spare room for a period of time. but there is a bed and a heated bed for them to sit in on or under to think about what they have done kind of like when we were kids and our parents grounded us and sent us straight to bed with no supper, haha.

Dman

Lairian
Time to have a heart to heart with the parents.. The treatment the cat is getting is cruel to say the least, alot better ways to handle it.. The cat will end up with some severe unsocial skills... Its time for you to step up and take control of the situation. You can teach them boundries without being so mean and rough, it just takes some practice and patience.. You would not like to be abused would you? Then why think its ok for you cat to be abused? Just Sayin'

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Oh my, you're in a very difficult situation. Seeing one of your parents treatening your sphynx like this must break your heart. Speaking up against your parents isn't easy. Do you know how your other parent feels about? Can you ask him/her to help you with this?

I would try to talk with E omar a moment E is relaxed. Explain calmly how you want to raise your sphynx. Ask if E can agree. If not try to find a way you and E both agree about.

Hope it works out. Hugs,

Natasja

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It's cruel. Tell them no as nice as you can but you must tell them. Teach them the right way. If they can't follow your instructions then they can just call you to come get Artemis.

When a mother cat does it to a kitten they are very small and don't weigh very much and besides its the only way the mother cat has to keep them from getting into trouble.

Here's the kicker - the cat won't learn not to go on the counter from this anyway; he's just going to learn to not trust people.

Don't let people be like this to a helpless cat....step in.

Sammicarkeys

Lairian
I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this. That is cruel. I would ask "E" to stop immediately. Hurting an animal won't make it stop doing things, it'll just make them afraid of you and she could end up potentially hurting her seriously. My sphynx is still a kitten so he tries to get into EVERYTHING. If he gets into things like cords or things that could hurt him, I give him a stern "NO" and remove him from the situation. If he continues to do it, I don't say anything, I pick him up and put him down somewhere else and I keep doing that until he stops. To be honest, the longest it takes is 2-3 times and then he doesn't do it for the rest of the day at least. Occasionally he gets a tap on his little butt, but he isn't phased by it because I'm not trying to hurt him, I'm trying to get his attention. Patience is what is needed here. Good luck :(

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Just echoing what pretty much everyone else has said. I'm sitting here shaking actually, and debated commenting at all, but this is abhorrent behaviour.

Your options are: Move out with your Sphynx, rehome your Sphynx, or get through to E that this response is NOT appropriate... at all... and to never ever treat your Sphynx this way.

While Sphynx are mischievous, they are only doing what their instincts guide them to do. "Oh, that's nummy, I want to lick/eat..." "Oh, that looks like something fun to play with/explore/whatever." They are not malicious by nature.

If a Sphynx or any animal, for that matter, is indulging in unwanted behaviour you remove the animal from the situation and re-direct, or in severe cases give them a time out. But even time outs shouldn't be long as they won't understand what they've done after a while.

It is up to US to provide a safe and sane environment for our loved ones.

I have a female Sphynx who will rip any plushy to shreds with her teeth and we've lost plenty, some limited editions etc. Well, the other day Hubby brought home a cute little plush dragon for himself and a birdie for me. I asked where he was going to put his dragon. He replied with a non-comittal "someplace". I reminded him about our girl and to make sure she couldn't reach it. It took Min less than a day to find and kill the dragon. Is it her fault? No... it's Hubby's. He knows better.

Any way, I hope you find a solution and that the abuse of your Sphynx stops NOW.

Back