Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bad Kitty

Rachael McLain

Lairian
Hey guys, so I moved into my own apartment with Stoli earlier this month. Her attention is always on me instead of splitting between 4 people now. Recently she's been VERY bad in the middle of the night and in the morning. She keeps waking me up by climbing and clawing at my bed/mattress. Dragging my slippers around, breaking my blinds, and recently eating my Halloween jelly decorations from off the windows!!Yesterday I came home for lunch and she had torn up an entire paper towel roll!
She has all of her claws so she is damaging things. She also was playing with me the other day and bit me pretty good.
All of this behavior is relatively new. She has always woken me up early by walking all over my face and chest but last night she woke up up two times before 3am by being a menace, and it's only becoming more frequent.
What can I do? Is it because she's alone during the day? I play with her when I am home, so it's not like she isn't getting any playtime at all. I just need me sleep and want her to settle down

Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uberalice

Lairian
How old is Stoli? Has she had a vet check-up since the issue started? Feynman went through a period at about a year and a half where he was just a holy terror. He'd knock things over, bite my toes, and just generally cause havoc whenever possible. The vet check came up fine, so I figured it was just him feeling sassy. My instinct is to say try offering more playtime opportunities (toys he can safely play with by himself, maybe something like a cat exercise wheel if it's in the budget) that can keep him occupied during those periods of high activity and making sure that she has somewhere warm to go and snuggle (Feynman definitely became more "spirited" when he was cold, and once he was warm again he relaxed a lot more), but I'd love to hear from more experienced members. :)

Rachael McLain

Lairian
How old is Stoli? Has she had a vet check-up since the issue started? Feynman went through a period at about a year and a half where he was just a holy terror. He'd knock things over, bite my toes, and just generally cause havoc whenever possible. The vet check came up fine, so I figured it was just him feeling sassy. My instinct is to say try offering more playtime opportunities (toys he can safely play with by himself, maybe something like a cat exercise wheel if it's in the budget) that can keep him occupied during those periods of high activity and making sure that she has somewhere warm to go and snuggle (Feynman definitely became more "spirited" when he was cold, and once he was warm again he relaxed a lot more), but I'd love to hear from more experienced members. :)

I rescued her so I'm not sure about her exact age but I think she's around 1/1.5 years. I took her to the vet to get checked out when I got her and for her rabies shot but I haven't taken her back since, that was about 2 months ago I want to say.
I had a cat tree at my parents (that's still there) but she seemed to never use it. Maybe I'll bring that to my apartment to see if she can scratch that up instead of my chairs, bed, and mattresses.
It's just been getting really bad when I'm trying to sleep-she runs whenever I start to get up from bed because she's smart and knows I'm about to get up and yell at her to knock it off.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Rachael McLain ( ((hugs)))
Try to wear her out with a Dabird toy play before bed (put away I'm closet after so Stoli doesmt chew it )

Does she have her same scratching post during the move ?
I actually turned it on its side amd they ,over standoff om it like a tree
Redirect to proper scratching post -
I catch them in the act amd pick them up and take them to their scratching post
Then I actually scratch on it ,yield amd encourage them to scratch -
Amazing they catch on and I reinforce with a treat

I had a corner mattress scratcher- you can try a scat mat tucked in?
Or a plastic placemat temporarily to make it a mom scratch satisfying surface -
Be careful with blinds amd cords

I would definitely kitty proof again and again while she settles in

It's a big new world for Stoli
She may just need some settle time
Li a,so out s blankie on the bed and call kitty and pat blanket and treat -
Trina like a dog to "bed"
Now I can just tap and they come running to be tucked in for the night

((Hugs)) amd positive vibes

Will chime in with some more brainstorming ideas

I like the idea of bringing her cost tree over
Just its presence could be calming
ypu can try to train her to it with adding a soft towel with a treat on top :)
I buy the dollar store "microfiber towels" in the the auto section - soft off white and purrfect size for cat trees

I also the small frolic cat laser
Amd leave the radio on

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hey guys, so I moved into my own apartment with Stoli earlier this month. Her attention is always on me instead of splitting between 4 people now. Recently she's been VERY bad in the middle of the night and in the morning. She keeps waking me up by climbing and clawing at my bed/mattress. Dragging my slippers around, breaking my blinds, and recently eating my Halloween jelly decorations from off the windows!!Yesterday I came home for lunch and she had torn up an entire paper towel roll!
She has all of her claws so she is damaging things. She also was playing with me the other day and bit me pretty good.
All of this behavior is relatively new. She has always woken me up early by walking all over my face and chest but last night she woke up up two times before 3am by being a menace, and it's only becoming more frequent.
What can I do? Is it because she's alone during the day? I play with her when I am home, so it's not like she isn't getting any playtime at all. I just need me sleep and want her to settle down

Any help is appreciated!

Hi there , go on to amazon they do these scratch things you either put on a wall or the floor I have them all over the floor they are really cheap now I know I’m going to spell this wrong
They are made from corigated cardboard and they have cat nip on them or buy the cat nip spray
I think it’s an adjusting thing
I have things stuck on the window they are on a sucker type thing they were only about £2 each or less and I have them at different levels
Also leave plenty toys on the floor
Again I got a green plastic round toy it’s got a scratch thing on top and inside a little mouse your kitty hits the mouse and it goes round and round Cleo gets loads of fun playing with hers
But I have to admit she enjoys interaction games with us the most
Hope you get some peace soon
Hugs anita & Cleo xxx

Back