Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bad News

for_serious

Lairian
I took my new sphynx Keano to the vet for his first check up today. I've been noticing a lot of water intake and straining to urinate. The vet said to get a urine sample somehow so I'll do that. But the vet also said the little guy has a heart murmur. What does that even mean? She said he could live a full life, or could not. I have a guarantee with the breeder but I'm attached to him and I cried all the way home. What do I do? I'm at a loss. :Cry:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It could be nothing or he could end up being HCM.
Do you have his pedigree?
I can check his lines for HCM.
BTW My Meeko not a sphynx has had a heart murmur since she was 3 months old and almost died.
She will be 10 in June and her Murmur is grade 2/3.

J

Jinxlover

I'm so sorry.... Maybe you'll get lucky and It's just that, a heart murmur. With our breed I know the first thing to pop in your head. Good luck with what ever you decide.

gizmo6370

Banned
How old is he ? It could be a hole in his septum...sometimes it takes a bit longer to close....or he was very nervous....then his blood will be streaming faster...and give a sound like a murmur....
Did the breeder scan his/her breedingcats for Hcm ? and did you get a copy of his parents tests ?
I hope it's just nothing major....

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am looking at the breeders site and the dam is HCM neg.
The breeder even has the results on the site.
I am going to check the sire also and the sphynx HCM data abses.

susi794

Staff member
Hoping it's just a murmur and nothing more--or better yet, hope it's like Gizmo said and maybe he was just nervous or he's not mature enough to have finished closing the septum. Keep us posted. What does the vet say to do about it?

gizmo6370

Banned
Do you know the age of the parents M2m ? The older they are...and tested neg. the more likely that the murmur is just a murmur....

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The Dam turned 1 in Oct and was scanned then.
The lines of the dam look all neg.
I do not see the sires name on the breeders site.

r

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am trying to help for_serious.
She is crying.
She said the sire is on the site so I asked for his full name.

for_serious

Lairian
How old is he ? It could be a hole in his septum...sometimes it takes a bit longer to close....or he was very nervous....then his blood will be streaming faster...and give a sound like a murmur....
Did the breeder scan his/her breedingcats for Hcm ? and did you get a copy of his parents tests ?
I hope it's just nothing major....

He's 3 months. Yeah the breeder did scan for HCM that's why I'm so shookin up.

lexin77

Lairian
I am sooo sorry :(
Fingers crossed for you...
I still have not taken Ripley to the vet other than her spay.
I took her back to the breeder for her last round of shots before she turns 1.
I need to make her an appointment to go I think.

gizmo6370

Banned
Okay...so he is very young....then i could be a hole in the septum....you have to check on him...when he is about 7 or 8 months old....right about then...the murmur should be gone...if not...then you have to scan him....to find out...what is wrong....

Have you contacted the breeder already ? and what did he/she say ?
Because it's a bit weird....when the breeder brought the litter in for vaccines...the vet should have done a health check...and should have detected that murmur already....

I hope it's just nothing....

Big hug for you and Keano :Kiss:

for_serious

Lairian
Okay...so he is very young....then i could be a hole in the septum....you have to check on him...when he is about 7 or 8 months old....right about then...the murmur should be gone...if not...then you have to scan him....to find out...what is wrong....

Have you contacted the breeder already ? and what did he/she say ?
Because it's a bit weird....when the breeder brought the litter in for vaccines...the vet should have done a health check...and should have detected that murmur already....

I hope it's just nothing....

Big hug for you and Keano :Kiss:

I contacted the breeder, she should be calling me very soon. I don't know how they didn't catch this. Thank you all for the support.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The sire is on a cached webpage as HCM tested neg, I can pm you the cache if you'd like to doublecheck it.

beeblebrox

Lairian
Hi Guys:

The sire is Infurno Atsofay. I took him off my site because I will not be breeding him anymore. The reason for this is only because the breeder he came from played a nasty TICA registration trick and I refuse to do business with unethical and otherwise unadmirable breeders so I am removing the majority of Infurno from my lines. He is perfectly healthy and was scanned clear last October. His results and pedigree is on the HCM database and was submitted for the French Sphynx Manager and PawPeds (not sure if they posted it yet though.)

My breeders are always scanned so I am optimistic that Keano will be fine. He is under 16 weeks still. Whats weird though is that my vet nor vet tech heard anything or else they would have written it on his health cert but Tanis's vet said it was a grade 2.

Tanis dear, I am optimistic and you should be too. If you want to bring him back to your vet for a listen again in a few months, I will pay for the vet visit. And as you know, if there is a heart condition, I will fully support whatever decision you make. As for the urinary issue.. plz get his pee sample ASAP and get it tested.

Thanks everyone for your support. What a great place for new sphynx owners to come.

Dez

for_serious

Lairian
I just spoke with the breeder and she says not to think the worst right now. He could grow out of it. There aren't any cases of HCM in either side so it would be such a small chance it could be HCM. Right? I'm hoping for the best. I'm going to attempt to get a urine sample to test it, just to check all the bases. He's fine and doesn't seem to be in any pain and he's running around and playing, but I just want to be sure with the kidneys because of how much water he is drinking. Oh man how did I get so attached to this little monster in 6 days?

Back