Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

bad news

trevor26

Lairian
basically ive been really ill lately and lost my voice so im always at the doctors getting tests done cause of also lost my voice the doctors are always testing me and think it could be asthma, i told them im getting a cat soon she said i cant, my partner says she use to have asthma and she was fine this would break my heart if i couldnt get my cat, any advice would be great

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Are their allergy meds you can take that can help you live with your kitty? Are you allergic to their saliva or their fur?? If your only allergic to their fur you should be fine, nekkids dont flare up fur allergies but will if your allergic to their saliva.

These cats are so much of my life, if I developed an allergy to them I wouldn't care what it took, I'd take allergy shots to the gut just to keep them! lol

"also" my boyfriend is only allergic to cat hair, our nekkids do not bother him at all, now dust,,,is another battle!

Last edited:

trevor26

Lairian
Are their allergy meds you can take that can help you live with your kitty? Are you allergic to their saliva or their fur?? If your only allergic to their fur you should be fine, nekkids dont flare up fur allergies but will if your allergic to their saliva.

These cats are so much of my life, if I developed an allergy to them I wouldn't care what it took, I'd take allergy shots to the gut just to keep them! lol

not sure what im allergic to yet fur or saliva i got to do something tho im not turning down my cat thanks so much

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Trevor my son and myself both have asthma really bad and we are perfectly fine with our Nudie. If you were going to have an asthmatic reaction to a sphynx (which is rare) you would of had one during your visits with your little guy. People with asthma react quickly to things that bother them. I think you will be just fine:BigSmile:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
not sure what im allergic to yet fur or saliva i got to do something tho im not turning down my cat thanks so much

I can't blame you. I had asthma as a kid but always had cats. My mom and dad used to always joke that I'd let the kitties kill me if it made them feel better because I was always taking in strays to feed and neuter (from my own allowance). lol
I couldn't imagine life without a cat in it, perferabbly hairless tho! lol

trevor26

Lairian
Trevor my son and myself both have asthma really bad and we are perfectly fine with our Nudie. If you were going to have an asthmatic reaction to a sphynx (which is rare) you would of had one during your visits with your little guy. People with asthma react quickly to things that bother them. I think you will be just fine:BigSmile:

thank you so much think im just ill with really bad throat hopefully just so annoying having no voice

trevor26

Lairian
I can't blame you. I had asthma as a kid but always had cats. My mom and dad used to always joke that I'd let the kitties kill me if it made them feel better because I was always taking in strays to feed and neuter (from my own allowance). lol
I couldn't imagine life without a cat in it, perferabbly hairless tho! lol

thanks well fingers crossed i might not even have asthma yet its either that or acid she said

tessblack

Banned
Don't know much about the subject but I sure hope it all works out. My ex had it and we had two furry cats and he was fine.

danimcd

Lairian
i have asthma... and although some specific things... like milk for some reason... make it flare up for me... i have cat sat up to 3 cats at once and i never had a problem my self...so saliva and hair don't really bother me... i think the doctors just don't want to add in another varriable to the mix. maybe it could potentially mask other issues if you did have a reaction???

everyone who has asthma can varry in symptoms and triggers... so it is very individual.
maybe next time you visit the cat take extra notes and see if your skin or reactions flare up at that time or shortly after. i don't want to say "make sure you get saliva on you" just in case you are allergic, but if you happen to get some on you make note of where it is and keep checking there for about a day as some people find it can take up to 24hrs to show...

the only time i had any issues, is when i cat sat this long haired main coon... uuugh! its hair went up everywhere... !!! the only thing that happend was my sinuses were totally blocked... and (sorry if too graphic) i was blowing hair out of my nose for a week... !!! ew

trevor26

Lairian
i have asthma... and although some specific things... like milk for some reason... make it flare up for me... i have cat sat up to 3 cats at once and i never had a problem my self...so saliva and hair don't really bother me... i think the doctors just don't want to add in another varriable to the mix. maybe it could potentially mask other issues if you did have a reaction???

everyone who has asthma can varry in symptoms and triggers... so it is very individual.
maybe next time you visit the cat take extra notes and see if your skin or reactions flare up at that time or shortly after. i don't want to say "make sure you get saliva on you" just in case you are allergic, but if you happen to get some on you make note of where it is and keep checking there for about a day as some people find it can take up to 24hrs to show...

the only time i had any issues, is when i cat sat this long haired main coon... uuugh! its hair went up everywhere... !!! the only thing that happend was my sinuses were totally blocked... and (sorry if too graphic) i was blowing hair out of my nose for a week... !!! ew
Ive noticed in the past my eyes get all itchy and sneezing but im sure there is things i can take for that in case i was illegic to my new boy not sure what i can take but im sure there is, was just worried incase i had asthama to gonna try everything now to get my voice back and see from there

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have severe asthma and have 7 cats.
My dr tried to make my parents get rid of the cats when I first got sick I refused.
In fact I even had a collasped lung and almost died from asthma.
When I get clawed I get huge hived and I am allergic to so many things.
I also sneeze from cats and get itchy eye.
Can yopu take shots I used to.

danimcd

Lairian
my trainer is allergic too... he said he got better with more exposure...he has 3 cats now... furrrrr balls!

like i said all individual... i think he did shots for a while too but didn't need to after a few months...

My dr tried to make my parents get rid of the cats when I first got sick I refused.

Jennifer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
growing up my brother had asthma and we had a furry cat and it never bothered him. Still to this day he comes to my house and he is fine. Maybe you will need to "baby wipe" him more offten.
Get better!

danimcd

Lairian
Ive noticed in the past my eyes get all itchy and sneezing but im sure there is things i can take for that in case i was illegic to my new boy not sure what i can take but im sure there is, was just worried incase i had asthama to gonna try everything now to get my voice back and see from there

could be a dander allergy too... especially if there is no hair... there are dander shampoos you could try that may help when you get him... hmmmm hard to tell... but for sure try to get your voice back... whispering is also the worst thing for that... so if you cant talk... dont... lol :LOL::Laugh:

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
They only time cats bother me is if they have hair and rub in my eyes. Also if my cats are really dirty I will get itchty where they touch me. My son was having major breathing issues and was on a neb. and inhaler and singular as a regular pill everyday. He got his tonsils adnoids out and not one sniffle since. He still takes the singular everyday but he doe not need an inhaler or a nebulizer anymore. I do not let the cats in the bed at night just in case. You can also get allergy testing that will tell you if you are allergic to cats or not and get shots to help. I have 5 baldies some who are pretty furry and no isses.

trevor26

Lairian

ive heard about shots that you can take i hope so

trevor26

Lairian
They only time cats bother me is if they have hair and rub in my eyes. Also if my cats are really dirty I will get itchty where they touch me. My son was having major breathing issues and was on a neb. and inhaler and singular as a regular pill everyday. He got his tonsils adnoids out and not one sniffle since. He still takes the singular everyday but he doe not need an inhaler or a nebulizer anymore. I do not let the cats in the bed at night just in case. You can also get allergy testing that will tell you if you are allergic to cats or not and get shots to help. I have 5 baldies some who are pretty furry and no isses.

thanks im blowing thru a peak flow for 3 weeks to find out

Back