Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We've had Kenzo for 2 weeks now, and he has been everything I had hoped, and more! He is so well behaved the majority of the time, so cuddly and sweet, so great with my 9 month old daughter and my 2 dogs.... Only issue is, he has HORRIBLE table manners.:arghh:

When Hubs and I are eating, he is doing The Most to get a crumb of our food. He paws and pounces on our plates. He tries to drink our beverages (everything from flavored water to coffee :wideyed:). He tries to steal my daughter's baby food right off the spoon while I'm feeding her, or tries to lick it right off her chubby cheeks. We never have and never will give him any table food. I've tried redirection with toys. I've tried a stern NO followed by removing him from the table. I've been very vigilant with my efforts, so much so that I spend most of my meal time 'redirecting the cat,' that my meals go cold and I resort to standing with my plate to finish eating. He took to all other behavioral training we've done like a dream (scratching redirection, litter boxes, harness/leash, sleeping through the night, etc).
We have put him up in a separate room while we eat, but I'd rather him be able to join us if possible. Neither of my dogs have this issue. We can eat right next to them, and even leave the room with our full plates right there at eye level and they will not touch it.

Any advice on breaking Kenzo's bad table manners? More than being annoying, I'm worried about him ingesting something harmful, like the coffee, that ends up with a vet visit or worse. Thank you in advance!

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Is Kenzo getting enough to eat? Young Sphynxes eat a LOT of food, so you might try increasing his food. Try feeding him when you eat, even if it means smaller meals more often. Also, try using a squirt bottle. We have one in each main room and they are the No-No Bottle. Marcus especially knows that he will be sprayed when he sees that bottle, and he stops what he is doing. Hopefully, Kenzo will outgrow most of this behavior.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Cleopatra Beers Sounds like he’s starving right?! Lol. I imagine he is eating enough though. We free feed him kibble 24-7 and feed a full saucer (about 5 oz) of wet twice daily at 7 am and 7 pm. Both the wet and dry are high-quality, protein rich, grain-free kitten formulas. I would give him a lunch time wet meal, but almost always he has leftover wet food on his saucer after his breakfast. After a couple hours I end up putting it in the fridge....
We eat breakfast right after he eats his, and he still tries to steal eggs and coffee. I think he’s just a fat boy at heart :p.
I will try the squirt bottle. Do you use a vinegar solution? Kenzo is partial to water, so I don’t want him put off by it, but I also don’t want to damage his skin. Maybe I can try a soda can with coins in it? Like a startling rattle?

Anyways, thank you for your help! He’s literally been such a doll besides this one bad habit! I’ve been so pleasantly surprised by how well socialized and handled he was already, and so easy to train except this! My hungry little naked hippo!:rolleyes:

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Do you guys eat at a dining table? Cause an option could be to try tin foil on the edges of the table which if and when he stands on it will startle him and deter him from getting on the table which would leave you alone while you eat? Just a thought.
Foil has worked very well for us to stop Orpheus getting on the kitchen counter and the tv cabinet :)

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Good advice offered, and I don't have much to add. Just hang in there and remember he's still a baby, so he's learning and it has only been a couple weeks. He may just be more persistent about this issue and hopefully you will be consistent with continuing the discipline and he will catch on that his behavior is unacceptable. Best wishes!

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When Raphael pestered us while eating we would put her in a spare room and close the door. Now when she pesters us if I move to get her she runs away and goes to her food dish and starts eating. I leave her alone and she leaves us alone after! Smart kitty!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@anasi Is there a special way to do the aluminum foil thing? I tried today and he was not startled or deterred.... In fact he was AMUSED. I believe he thinks it’s a fun new feature we added to the table for him to play with. :shifty::dead:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Monica ,
So,e have used a scar mat or compressed air in a can

I like to train mine like a dog to a "spot" with a high value treat - pure bites , freeze dried treats -etc
Redirect him to his spot or chair nearby amd a stern ahhhhh if he starts his antics

I had a Bengal thst actually loved trying to get his paws in my coffee ewwww
My dad named him Bailey a need a shot of baileys I'm my coffee training the food thief !
He would claw his way up my leg to get to chicken - he was like a wild cat!

Firm consistent training with high value treats to a spot would be worth trying -
It can take so,e time but he will learn there is s better spot amd way to get yummies!

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I tear off a piece and fold it lightly in half so it still rustles a bunch then lay it on the table that way when he jumped on it him landing makes a noise and it also slips a little and startles him.
Also I have heard double sided tape works because they don't like things sticking to their feet but Orpheus couldn't care less about the tape.

Back