Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

bellebeen

Lairian
Bones is the sweetest sphynx EVER! His story is so so bitter sweet! and I'm here to tell it.

Bones is 2, and was found by my sister on the ebay pets classifieds web site. The woman was asking for $500, and my sister, knowing I wanted one terribly, offered her $200, and the lady agreed. We had arranged to pick him up on what would be, today. I got a text from my sister on Monday the 28th that she was willing to give him up that day for $100, and my expensive Michael Kors bag, that was given to me. OBVIOUSLY I said yes, and though it was so weird that she was willing to trade her animal for a purse!? At any rate i told her to do it, and my sister told me the gal informed her that the cat is at her parent's, and really depressed because he is not getting the attention he deserves, so he is being hand fed. I know that this breed needs a lot of attention, so that didn't faze me. I just wanted to get him and start loving him.

My sister text me sometime later and said she was going to send pictures of him to me, because he is dirty and smells. That made me sad, and suspicious. Then the texts started purring in. His ears had been neglected and they were packed with black gunk. His nails have been neglected and they were too packed full of gunk. His eyes were filled with eye boogies, and there was alot of discharge. Then it got worse. He has deep scrapes/gashes in his hind legs, and he was so skinny you could see every bone in his body.

7711-1301862557-b3c676e9712c8e5ee561188a7e5ee2dd.jpeg

My heart sunk when i walked in the door of my house, after getting off the longest day of work ever. I stepped into my bathroom and saw this long, boney, barely recognizable creature drinking water out of my bathtub. When he saw me he let out the smallest most pitiful attempt of a meow possible, and my heart shattered. I have no idea how someone can EVER mistreat an animal for a day, let alone for, god knows how long this little guy was neglected.

We took him right into the emergency vet and had him looked at. They took him in the back, changed the bandages on his feet, cleaned his nails, and cut them. He has what the vet compares too, bed sores, or now what I'm finding out, urine scalds. (And a hear murmur.) They are LAYERS of skin deep! Tendons are exposed, and they bleed constantly. This is more than a week or so of neglect like the original owner stated in the beginning. Although I expect him to me in an incredible amount of pain, he is not. He walks just fine, the only problem we run into is, his stools have not hardened yet, so he get himself just COVERED, tracks it through the house, then jumps right on my lap to share the wealth and show me some love. As gross as it is, how can you be mad? I mean really?

My sister gets to babysit him and give him his first round of antibiotics while I work, so that means he gets to run errands. (Which he loves. He loves car time, and love to sit in the cart and check out all the babes. he is SUCH a ladies man, and just soaks it up.) She took him to the vet at PetsMart, to have them check out his bandages. We have been wrapping them ourselves, and she wanted their approval. When she took him in, just by eye balling him, they told my sister that this little guy had gone MONTHS with out eating. Not a few weeks, not just one month. SEVERAL months....

I was beginning to get more and more frustrated and it was getting harder for me not to call this woman and give her a piece of mind! When we were changing his bandages last night I caught my first real glimpse of his hind legs. My heart brok all over again, and I just cried. I cried and cried and cried for him. He's so strong. There is not one thing about his personality that scrams "I was neglected, starved, and locked in a small box in my own fecal matter for the past so many months." I felt like someone needed to cry for him, because he wasn't going to do it. He's is so happy, and SO curious. He loves to explore anything and everything, He loves chicken and salad, and blue buffalo cat food. Honestly he loves everything. He's always trying to get into my tea, my milk, my yogurt, everything, so he's also learning "NO!"

Last night we opened up his scratching post and taught him how to play with it. We laid it on the ground long ways and enticed him on top of it with a string and he instantly went to town. :) He can't stand on his back legs yet, but when he does I assume he'll love his post. :LOL:

All in all he is happy, we're working on getting him healthy, he's starting to play with strings and other little things around the house, and had the BIGGEST crust on out domestic short hair, Dolly. I wish the feeling were mutual. She hisses at him, and the more she does so, the more attracted to her he is!

7708-1301862379-e2e8fb19e176463a116cff17926a6ce7.jpg
7709-1301862379-347e9ad63f133ba8bdae38b9c6321df4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
What a sad story. He's very lucky he has you to take care of him now and love him to bits! I hope he'll gain weight and heal up ok so he can give you years of love and happiness.

Thank you for taking this sphynx baby in and nursing him back to life! Give him a big hug from me and Lucifer.

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
OMG! I am crying after reading this. My stomach is clenched at the thought of all he has gone through. Is that person being turned in? Did you take pictures for proof? I can't wrap my head around that kind of cruelty. What kind of person could do this? You are a saint to have stuck through this with him. He is so lucky you found him. Pls keep us informed and bless you?

my_fuzzel

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Wow.... those pictures and story are heart wrenching.... I wish everyone understood the responsibility and time you HAVE to put into caring for a kitten/cat. You adopting him was the best thing that could of happened because who knows how much longer he would of held on for.
You should keep us updated on silly things he starts doing and how is weight gain and little problems are doing! I hope he gets healthy really soon, thats sweet that it seems like it isnt effecting him and he seems happy!
Just wait, in no time he is going to capture your heart and your going to catch the sphynx fever!:Smile:

savannah mommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
:Cry: :Surprise::Sad:We cant control what others do. It just blows me away that someone could be so cruel. It sounds like he is in the best hands now. He is so lucky you found him when you did. Never stop loving on him. :Smile:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Wow bellebeen what a story! You are wonderful for sticking with him! You can try to give him a teaspoon of pumpkin with his food to try to help with his runny stool, but first make sure he is de wormed and tested for all parasites due to the conditions it is likely he will be positive for something.
We look forward to following your story and progress!

tessblack

Banned
Even though he is skinny he is adorable. What a horrible story, how can people be that terrible. Glad he is with you now and getting the care and love that he needs!

NakedNinja

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
There's a special place in heaven for you.

That sweet boy was meant to adopt you. There aren't many people who will take on an animal that needs that much care. Also, kudos to the vet who didn't immediately say "he's too far gone, just put him down."

Please post frequent photos and updates. I can't wait to watch him grow and thrive!

momofmaxamillon

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Bones hit the jackpot!! What a new life he will have now full of love, and happiness so thankful you got to him when you did it was meant to be.

pooner

Banned
:Cry:Such a sad story. I am so happy he has found you! What a great little soul he has. Please keep us updated on how he is doing.

susi794

Staff member
Dearest Bellebeen,
I read your post with horror...just as NakedNinja said there is a special place in Heaven for you, there also is a special place in Hell for whoever allowed this to happen to him. And like Marna said, I can't wrap my head around someone that would do this to another living thing.
Bones will repay you with his love and affection tenfold--he's already trying to....his life is already so much better-- his legs and feet probably hurt like the dickens, but you have given him hope that there will be a better tomorrow. He knows that he is loved now and that is everything! I am going to hit my knees and pray for this little boy. And for you. God bless you for saving Bones.
Welcome to the Lair. And please allow us to share in his recovery and gains through pictures and posts. I will want to follow his progress and watch him turn into a fat and happy baby.
Much love and respect for what you have done,
Susi and the gang

Big Hoss

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
:Sad::Cry::Angry:

OMG!! who could do that? I will never understand some people..

Bless your heart for helping him, many people would have never bothered. You will never be sorry that you helped him(well maybe when he's stealing you lunch and sitting on your lap when you pee:Dizzy::LOL:). You will always be his hero!!!!

Raen83

Lairian
My god, I feel sick. :Badly2::Angry:

I'm so very glad he has finally found a loving home where he will be given every opportunity that he has been robbed of. Give him an extra kiss for me. :Kissed:

kimmieb

Banned
I'm not a violent person at all, but that "lady" deserves to have that Michael Kors purse rammed down her throat! Better yet, she should be locked in a cage and be forced to sit in her own waste to understand how it feels. :Angry:

You are my new hero for taking Bones in and giving him care, friendship, and most importantly LOVE! A lot of people would probably have turned the other way, but you didn't! Bones is so lucky to have you in his life, and your sister.

As others have stated, I can't wait to see pictures of him as he recovers and thrives!

:BigSmile:

TanyaMeaw

Lairian
I'm so glad he has you to love him now and take care of him. He deserves it. What a wonderful, strong, and loving soul he is :Smile:

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm not a violent person at all, but that "lady" deserves to have that Michael Kors purse rammed down her throat! Better yet, she should be locked in a cage and be forced to sit in her own waste to understand how it feels. :Angry:

You are my new hero for taking Bones in and giving him care, friendship, and most importantly LOVE! A lot of people would probably have turned the other way, but you didn't! Bones is so lucky to have you in his life, and your sister.

As others have stated, I can't wait to see pictures of him as he recovers and thrives!

:BigSmile:

I had that fantasy last night. I locked her in a cat cage and kept her there for three months.:Angry::Angry::Angry:

Nair Bare

Lairian
I think that all of us here at SL have immediately bonded to Bones and you. We all felt the pain that Bones has endured and feel gratitude towards you for your kindness and devotion to him.
Of course, since we are all deeply involved in this guy's life we will need to hear of his daily progress. You are an angel to do so much for Bones, thank you for caring.

What a horribly sad story. That poor little guy must have been suffering terribly. I'm so glad you rescued him and are bringing him back to good health. I hope he recovers quickly and you have many many years of happiness with him.

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
OMG....I just read this post and am now so enraged by this former "owner" that I could kick some serious animal abuser a**!! What a HORRIBLE person that could do that to a poor, defensless cat. I am SO glad that you took him to have a nice, safe, warm and happy forever home. You are his angel and he will love you unconditionally for that. Lemmy, Lily and I will be thinking of Bones in the coming hard months to recovery. (((BIG HUGS))):Kiss::Kiss:

Back