Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Baldwin was diagnosed with HCM at 4 years old.

carly gail

Lairian
I am absolutely DEVASTATED. Here is his diagnosis:

1. Segmental hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM)
Mild focal hypertrophy of interventricular septum, borderline hypertrophy of left ventricular free wall, prominent asymmetric papillary muscles
Mild verging on moderate left atrial enlargement
Normal left ventricular internal dimensions and systolic function.
2. Dynamic right and left ventricular outflow obstruction as the cause of the murmur

I guess I just need some support, or to hear from someone who has experienced something similar. I plan to get him rescanned in a few months (6 months from original diagnosis) to see how quickly it is progressing, and potentially have to start him on Plavix. Ugh. My baby.

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am sorry to hear that you got this diagnosis of your little one. It it a tough blow to deal with and may take some time and understanding.
My sphynx girl was diagnosed almost a year ago. Each follow up scan her disease has progressed. (she goes every 4mos because I am a bit neurotic and worked for a vet hospital for 8yrs) I have a great cardiologist and we adjust medication and such to make sure she is comfortable. She doesn't look like anything is wrong with her. We monitor her breathing and give her medications daily and let her keep living her best life. My best advice to you is take it one day at a time and enjoy the time you have. As others here have said they only know your love. I try to follow that motto. We have her next appointment in December almost a year to the date of her diagnosis. I will post an update on her at that time.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm not sure if your vet talked to you about omega 3. This is an article I got a while back.

Attachments

• Omega-3 supplementation for heart disease.pdf
    115.8 KB · Views: 8

Yoda mom

Staff member
@carly gail , ((hugs)) and positive vibes, I am so very sorry for the diagnosis of baby Baldwin.
my boy lived many many years to double digits after I got the news at age 3.
every day a gift. he had no idea he had HCM . we enjoyed everyday to the fullest.
we are here for you and Baldwin.

tagging @Catzzzmeow
@kauna ((hugs))) and positive vibes , keep us updated. all paws crossed for Dec. scan.

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am so sorry to hear Baldwin has been diagnosed with this condition, all too often a bane for families that include a sphynx. My Wilson has been diagnosed with HCM,in August this year, he has cardiac arrhythmia, the vet is not certain which condition was the original cause of the problem but it probably wouldn't affect the outcome if we knew. He has just turned 8 yrs and otherwise looks well.We are managing the condition with a medication called Sotolol and also clopidogrel to reduce the risk of clots. and sometimes have to adjust the dosages , again usually on the advice of our vet but recently we are making decisions based on his behaviour. We are often having ECGs and scans to monitor the condition, on the vets advice, and have good days and not so good days but each day is a gift for us . Just take everyday as it comes and do what you feel is best. Thinking of you xxx

Back