Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I finally bit the bullet and bought a DNA testing kit with a health marker test from this company coz it was 50% off.

I don’t have high hopes for it as I already know my ragdoll cat is a ragdoll but knowing what kind of other pure breed my sphynx is other than a sphynx would be interesting as sphynxes did come from a “mixed breed” street cat from what I recall.

I have half a mind do to the test on my ragdoll instead coz they have data on the breed whereas they do not have any data for Sphynxes yet.

Will be posting here the results I get for those who are also curious about what to expect with pet DNA tests :) particularly with this company.

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@pussiette I ended up doing the test on my Ragdoll due to data availability, but initial swab sample I mailed them didn’t provide enough info. They got my 2nd sample just last wk. So hopefully, in the next weeks to a month I’ll get the results back. FYI - I didn’t disclose my cat’s breed on the form nor did I include my cat’s photo on the Basepaws profile to see how accurate they really are.

Thanks for following up on this!

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I almost forgot about this. So my ragdoll apparently has a rare blood clotting disorder, which made sense now as to why her spay suture took 2 wks to heal.

Overall, they’ve scrapped the Wildcat classification which is good coz it doesn’t provide anything practical. The Health Test that came with it proved to be super useful. Now I know to give my vet a heads up about my ragdoll and update her file with them and our pet insurance company.

Back