Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bath time

Kioana

Lairian
I've watched the videos that you guys have posted (great by the way :Wink: ) and when i give Katt a bath i can tell some one has been giving her a bath because she doesn't wig out when it's time to be cleaned.

So my question is As she gets older will bath time get easier and easier?
She doesn't care for the ear cleaning too much, she's not in pain but as her ears was dirty , i have to do it a bit more to get it off to a good start. so she's starting to hate the ear cleaning part. i'm using q tips

Brooke

Banned
I've watched the videos that you guys have posted (great by the way :Wink: ) and when i give Katt a bath i can tell some one has been giving her a bath because she doesn't wig out when it's time to be cleaned.

She doesn't care for the ear cleaning too much, she's not in pain but as her ears was dirty , i have to do it a bit more to get it off to a good start. so she's starting to hate the ear cleaning part. i'm using q tips

It's hard to say if it will get any easier...I can tell you when I first got my boy, Walter, he was terrible in the bath. Over time, he's learned that I'm not trying to drown him, and now he just stands there and purrs really loud the whole time! Just make sure you make bath time as calm and stress free as possible, and give her lots of encouragement during. If she's doing great now, I'm sure she'll continue to do great.

Same with the ear cleaning...maybe you can keep some treats nearby and while you're doing her ears you can give her some treats. She'll make the association that 'ear cleaning = treats' and hopefully won't fight you too much. Good luck!

Kioana

Lairian
alrigth thanks

Well she likes the water she purrs when shes' in there so someone did give her a bath lol
Ears i'll try the treats , what are good cat treats? again sorry i'm new to cats :/

PitRottMommy

Banned

I'd say generally speaking, yes, it becomes easier with time. Most pets acclimate to their baths, even if they don't love them.

Most cats do best when bundled into a towel, held close and ears are done slowly and not deep. If pain is caused during ear cleaning (or any other cleaning of sensitive parts), it can cause permanent dislike for such things. Be calm and gentle and go slowly and you'll find your pet to be much more amicable for such procedures.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It should get easier.
My older sphynx is real easy to give a bath to now.
My kitten stays but screams.
I give Wellness as treats.
You can never have1 sphynx though.

Kioana

Lairian
It should get easier.
My older sphynx is real easy to give a bath to now.
My kitten stays but screams.
I give Wellness as treats.
You can never have1 sphynx though.

LOL umm i can't lie she is rubbing off on me i thiiiiink there MIGHT be another to come :Smile:

I got some type of hard treats and she doesn't like them :ThumbsDown:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
There is a soft treat my cat got at a show but I can not remember the name of them.
She really liked them though.
I will try to find out what is was for you.
I am looking for my 3rd sphynx lol and I got my first 1 last Dec.

Brooke

Banned
There is a soft treat my cat got at a show but I can not remember the name of them.
She really liked them though.
I will try to find out what is was for you.
I am looking for my 3rd sphynx lol and I got my first 1 last Dec.

:LOL: Mews2much, I got my first one in August last year...:LOL: Now I have 4, and starting to think there might be room for another.

Cathie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I guess piggly is the different one. He was great when I first got him, not hes getting worse. I don't know if the water is to hot or to cold or what. He really likes his Hills Prescription Diet hypoallergenic Treats. My M-I-L bought them at her vets, and he LOVES them.

PitRottMommy

Banned
I guess piggly is the different one. He was great when I first got him, not hes getting worse. I don't know if the water is to hot or to cold or what. He really likes his Hills Prescription Diet hypoallergenic Treats. My M-I-L bought them at her vets, and he LOVES them.

Cathie, are you using the sink or the tub?

Have you tried placing him into a dry basin, soaping him up and then rinsing with a cup?

Cathie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Both, He is better in the tub than in the sink. And better in a deep tub, but better for mom in the shallow tub.

He really hates it when I try to poor water hear his head, but hes good with a really wet wash cloth. I have stopped trying the use a cup, just my hand cupped and a wash cloth.

Any other tips? i'd be open to hear them. He has had a bath at least every other week since I brought him home at 6 weeks.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Both, He is better in the tub than in the sink. And better in a deep tub, but better for mom in the shallow tub.

He really hates it when I try to poor water hear his head, but hes good with a really wet wash cloth. I have stopped trying the use a cup, just my hand cupped and a wash cloth.

Any other tips? i'd be open to hear them. He has had a bath at least every other week since I brought him home at 6 weeks.

I think you're probably getting close with the wash cloth. What type of soap are you using on him? I recommend Dawn dish washing liquid for anyone that owns an oily cat or tries to go as long as possible between baths.

Cathie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Johnsons baby wash.
I don't mind doing baths more often. When he was OK with it, he would get one about 2 to 3 times a week. He used to sit on the side of the tub when i "boiled". I wouldn't let him get in until it got alot cooler. Even in water I feel is cold, he still turns brighter pink. I'm to the point that I'm going to buy a rubber ducky with them temp thing on the bottom so I know it the water is to hot or cold for him.

PitRottMommy

Banned
He may be one of those cats that's truly sensitive to heated items, its not uncommon to see them with skin sensitivities after all.

Try going with lukewarm to cool water, instead of warm. Remember, warm water doesn't necessarily clean better---humans simply like it more than lukewarm or cool water. Most dermatologists recommend lukewarm/cooler water to keep from drying skin out (which hot water does by forcing the skin to swell and the pores to open).

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Kiona
I don't have any advice, I just wanted to say hello. I just got my first sphynx as well and bathing a cat is a new experiance for me. Luckily mine is older and really good for her bath. I am sure your kitten will get better, I know puppies do. Your kitten is very pretty. I also see a second sphynx in my future!

Kioana

Lairian
Kiona
I don't have any advice, I just wanted to say hello. I just got my first sphynx as well and bathing a cat is a new experiance for me. Luckily mine is older and really good for her bath. I am sure your kitten will get better, I know puppies do. Your kitten is very pretty. I also see a second sphynx in my future!

lol might be never know

well from working at a vets and giving cats a bath i just expected the worst but she wasn't as bad as i thought she would be .

she got into some stuff the other day and had to get another bath so this time she was purring more and playing with the water . while i did this i gave her a few soft treats.
then i just wiped her ears with water to see if she would flip out again , and she was fine and i gave her a treat as well

so thanks for all the tips guys!

HelloKatie

Lairian
Johnsons baby wash.
I don't mind doing baths more often. When he was OK with it, he would get one about 2 to 3 times a week. He used to sit on the side of the tub when i "boiled". I wouldn't let him get in until it got alot cooler. Even in water I feel is cold, he still turns brighter pink. I'm to the point that I'm going to buy a rubber ducky with them temp thing on the bottom so I know it the water is to hot or cold for him.

Maybe he's allergic to the Johnsons

Back