Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bath Water Temp?

abbyknitter

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hey everyone,
Does anyone know how warm the bath water should be for a sphynx? I know they like it prety warm but today the water was a bit to warm, I had to take Abby out of the tub really fast and cool the water down. :Sweat:She is fine but I don't ever want that to happen again. I was gunna get a thermomiter for the tub...but I don't know what temp it should be.:Sweat:

Gizzymom

Banned
I actually use the same temp I would use. I figure if our temp is 98.6 and their temp is approx 103, they would like it warmer. Gizzy seems to like it warmer... But that is just my opinion.:Laugh:

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I actually use the same temp I would use. I figure if our temp is 98.6 and their temp is approx 103, they would like it warmer. Gizzy seems to like it warmer... But that is just my opinion.:Laugh:
I agree a little warmer than mine and I always test it first. Just gave the girls a bath today as a matter of fact:BigSmile:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I had the same question. Since Butternut flips out in the tub I thought it might be too hot. Then I tried much cooler water and he still flipped out. I just came to the conclusion that Butternuts and water don't mix. Do they have kitty dry cleaning?

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I had the same question. Since Butternut flips out in the tub I thought it might be too hot. Then I tried much cooler water and he still flipped out. I just came to the conclusion that Butternuts and water don't mix. Do they have kitty dry cleaning?
Yeah they're called baby wipes.

Their temp is definitely not 103. They just feel hotter because they don't have the fur buffer. Baron has always registered below 102 when we're at the vet. Normal temp is 100.5 to 102.0.

Gizzymom

Banned
Their temp is definitely not 103. They just feel hotter because they don't have the fur buffer. Baron has always registered below 102 when we're at the vet. Normal temp is 100.5 to 102.0.
This is just what I was going by:

Your cat's normal rectal temperature is 100.5 to 102.5 degrees Fahrenheit.
Sphynx cats have a warmer base body temperature than other breeds of cats; usually one or two degrees on average.

:Dizzy:

JacksMom

Banned
Yes, 100.5-102 is average for regular (hairy) cats, but sphynx are typically warmer...up to 104, but I have seen sights that say sphynx temp can register even higher. One sphynx site said the average temp for a sphynx was 107.06, but honestly, I don't think that is correct!

kaoticharmony

Banned
I find the water temerature varies with the cat. Shiva likes his baths real warm, while Neon likes his cooler.... Venus loves playing in my bathtub, but says she prefers her baths without water...lol

I always bathe my babies in my kitchen sink on a bath mat so they don't slip. Neon and Venus's breeder said she bathed them in the bathtub. I tried once.... Neon was easy (he's very mellow) but Venus turned into her alter ego (The Yellow Eyed Demon Cat From Hell) and left me bleeding.

I find the sink offers alot more control.

Maybe we should invent the "Automatic Sphynx Washer" ...hmmmm okay you buy a handheld shower attachment and a small ladder. (requires an enclosed shower with high controls)
#1 Soap the cat up real good.
#2 Place in shower
#3 Close door
#4 Climb on ladder to reach controls
#5 Using hand held device rinse cat from above

LOL wouldn't want to be the one to open the door

I'm so glad my babies are easy to wash! I remember having to wash Anastasia (short haired flame-tip) for a cat show once. There was fur everywhere and in the middle of the bath she escaped. She called us unspeakable names and told us we were going to rot in cat hell! How dare us give her a bath!!!!
The same cat got out once and ran under a car into someone's drip pan....she had oil all over her. That time she was more forgiving.
We had this one long hair red guy that unless you wanted to take a bath with him you had to lock him out of the bathroom. He loved bubblebaths! My room mate had heard stories of people getting hurt when their cats fell in the tub with them. She said she was taking a long hot bath and left the door open because it was Summer and just her... Well next thing she knew Phillip Radu was there. She said he was sitting on the toilet seat watching and suddenly just dove in. She thought for sure that he'd freak out when he found the water under the bubbles... but no. He walked around and made his little happy peep sounds. So she gave him a bath.