Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bathing, grooming - your personal experiences

hair_is_square

Lairian
Have any of you tried using the special shampoos you can get from the vet?
I was recommended " Seboderm"
Experiences?

My lovely boy does "grease" a lot every day.
Do any of you have some tips? (it's "colouring" my sofas, bed and so)
Right now I've started to just run a wringed bathcloth over his body in the morning.
(he has a "full bath" once every week or every fortnight /14 days)

Do you use any lotion after a bath?
I am thinking of using a bit of Aloe Vera after our daily morning ritual? Just to soothe the skin?

How often do you cleanse your baby's ears? Teeth? (if you do)

I am welcomming any tips ;-)

Thanks you guys! :Laugh:

susi794

Staff member
I've never tried the shampoo you're referring to. I have found that Dawn dish soap is degreasing enough to take the grunge off without drying my cats' skin. You can use human hair conditioner to help with dry skin if it becomes an issue. I don't use any lotions, because it just greases the cat right back up again, which acts like a dirt magnet. I never buy anything light colored anymore, for the very reason you mentioned--everything bears the sphynx grime.
I bathe and do ears on an as needed basis--I have 11 at the moment, and not everyone gets dirty at the same time and the same speed.
If you dress them, some people say it cuts down on the grime as well. Lots of people use baby wipes, but a couple of my cats get allergic reactions to them--even the ones made for pets.
If you come up with any good grooming tips, do share them, ok?
Hugs,
Susi and the gang

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have never uhe shampoos from the vets except a fungal shampoo the suggested I use after the shows.
I use Burt's Bees and use baby wipes in between baths.
I check the ears everyday and use Epi Optics once a week.
I use make up remover pads for the nails.
I would not use aloe on a sphynx I tried a letter bit and my cat got a rash.
Do not use a wringed wash cloth every day it will dry the cats skin out to much.
I wipe there mouths once a week and use coconut oil when the skin is to dry.
I also put clothes on my sphynx when it is cold and so much of the oil gets on the clothes but they are cleaner that way.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I bathe Snuffie about once a week. Sometimes she will need one every 5 days or so depending upon how dirty she decided to get that week. Most of the time she is in clothing which helps cut down on the dirt she picks up. Lately its been rather warm in our home due to the changing weather (thank you lord - keep it coming!!!) but yes - the more naked she runs around the quicker she gets dirty. I never put lotion of any kind of her. I rub her down real good with coconut oil (kitty massage) prior to her bath for about 15 minutes, once she is good and relaxed I bathe her and wash her with Johnson & Johnson and then I towell dry. Nails are cleaned with baby wipes promptly after her bath and then nails are clipped if needed. Then yummy treats then I wash her face down real good. Between baths she gets her face, belly and feet wiped down with wipes daily before bed.

apcolleen

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
is it possible to shine up your cat like a bald man's head? lol ive been curious of that.

and what if you used pantyhose or a legging for a body suit? would they like that and keep them from greasing up the joint? lol

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
is it possible to shine up your cat like a bald man's head? lol ive been curious of that.

and what if you used pantyhose or a legging for a body suit? would they like that and keep them from greasing up the joint? lol

I never thought of a legging, but I cut the sleeves of a stained shirt once (cotton with scrunchy cuffs) and cut holes for the arms! Worked really well!

Lulu Bird

Lairian
Ugh I have a beautiful white quilt and white sheets and Peaches loves to sleep in it (of course) I just wash them a lot! I also have a tank top for her and try to bathe her every week or two. I started using Dawn after the folks on here recommended it and it seems to keep her clean longer. She won't tolerate me wiping her with baby wipes but I think I will keep trying... at least to get her under belly and armpits.

If you find any secrets please share :)

hair_is_square

Lairian
Thanks for your replies :Smile:

Dawn???
What is that?

I have heard from the breeder that babywipes is no good? That they will get rashes and allergic reactions?

I use a 99,5 % pure Aloe Vera, just to soothe the skin, and he gets really really soft, and it seems to help "relax" his skin (he likes to rub his head up against the scratching post)

I think I will try to find some "clothes" for him.
Although it might be difficult, as all the clothes where I live is for dogs....
Do any of you make clothes?
(I seriously can't sew or make any clothes myself, I'm hopeless at that)

Isn't nailpolish remover pads to tough on the skin along the nails? I know of course, that it has to be the ones without acetone, but still?

bella_bitis

Lairian
QUOTE]

Don't worry - I use for my cats only doggy style clothes. They fit OK! You have to choose the samlles size - XS or S.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
QUOTE]

Don't worry - I use for my cats only doggy style clothes. They fit OK! You have to choose the samlles size - XS or S.

I make customized clothing for kitties! Check out Snuffie's fashions in the SphynxLair Mall.

miss_gldelx

Lairian
Have any of you tried using the special shampoos you can get from the vet?
I was recommended " Seboderm"
Experiences?

My lovely boy does "grease" a lot every day.
Do any of you have some tips? (it's "colouring" my sofas, bed and so)
Right now I've started to just run a wringed bathcloth over his body in the morning.
(he has a "full bath" once every week or every fortnight /14 days)

Do you use any lotion after a bath?
I am thinking of using a bit of Aloe Vera after our daily morning ritual? Just to soothe the skin?

How often do you cleanse your baby's ears? Teeth? (if you do)

I am welcomming any tips ;-)

Thanks you guys! :Laugh:
I use J&J baby shampoo (love the baby smell) :)

I also use Stridex Sensative Pads for her nails. I swear the black gunk just wipes right off. I think letting her roam around in the tub playing with toys before her bath also helps loosen up all the grime. Stridex Sensitive Skin Pads

ktate88

Banned
miss gldex: Stridex wipes- what a great idea for their feet/nails!! Niles little toe "webs" get black head type grime on them. I have just been rubbing it off when he naps-- its much easier to do then. I was going to get some Malaseb wipes, but they are no longer available.

Niles moved from Pennsylvania to Florida in the last month so his whole body has been adjusting. His skin was broken out and noticed it got worse after a bath. I bought Burts Bee's lotion for after bath when his kitty acne showed up. Also seems to happen when he wears his harness.

Where would I find coconut oil? Shampoo, soap aisle? Health food store?

I bought some "bed head" pet wipes but he seems to break out. Has anyone used the Earthbath wipes for dogs? Petsmart was out when I got the others

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Where would I find coconut oil? Shampoo, soap aisle? Health food store?

I bought some "bed head" pet wipes but he seems to break out. Has anyone used the Earthbath wipes for dogs? Petsmart was out when I got the others

You can find coconut oil in any health food store, usually in the cooking oil section. However, I no longer have to use the coconut oil anymore ever since I started using "Thera-Neem Pet Shampoo", which you can also find in the health food stores (in the pet section). This shampoo cuts through sphynx grease like nobody's business! :ThumbsUp:

I use the Earthbath cat wipes for both of my sphynx cats when they get dirty "in between" baths. It works pretty well for the most part, but sometimes I have to rewet the wipes in water before using as they do dry out in the box after awhile.

Pyramid

Lairian
Im just going to throw this out there, I used to work within the plastic surgery industry, did a great deal of skin resurfacing/chemical peels etc so know quite a bit in regards to "Human skin" I am not a Sphynx expert, so this is just one of my thoughts.

Instead of alcohol based asstringents/cleansers we would reccomend using vinegar and water mixture as it is a terrific degreaser. I am thinking that it would work really well on Sphynx greasy toe nails as it is also an antibacterial. ( great after aggressive microdermabrasion or physician strength chemical peels )

Also...... many people are mentioning they use coconut oil, and this is just some food for thought. Humans and animals have a natural skin cell turn over, meaning we shed a great deal of skin cells all the time. When people use moisturizers, they are actually covering a nice thick greasy barrier which inhibits the bodies natural ability to sluff off those skin cells, resulting in black heads and clogged pores.

Im thinking if you have a greasy or oily Sphynx, maybe stay away from thick greasy moisturizers, try gel or aloe based products with no alcohol as it is very drying. Also, be careful of shampoo's (human and pet) because many are made with lot's of salt which is very drying causing oil glands to go in to over drive to try and balance things out.

Like I said, Im not an expert on Sphynx, just applying my industry knowledge to what I have been reading. :BigSmile:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Pyramid, the idea isn't to put the coconut oil on and leave it there as a moisturizer. What we do is apply it before the bath, massage in, then wash it off. It's great for loosening up sphynx grime (like their doughnut butts).

Pyramid

Lairian
Pyramid, the idea isn't to put the coconut oil on and leave it there as a moisturizer. What we do is apply it before the bath, massage in, then wash it off. It's great for loosening up sphynx grime (like their doughnut butts).

:Wink: Yes, I know, put it on just prior to actually washing them, to loosen grime etc, I was just wondering if maybe the same principles apply in some ways. Kind of like if a human had oily skin/make up on and used coconut oil to remove it, it would do the job, but clogs pores etc.

like I said, Im not a Sphynx skin expert ................ just thinking "out loud"

Gizzymom

Banned
I am excited about the new Sphynx suds shampoo when it comes out.. Any word on release date?

But in the meantime, I use Earthbath shampoos. Oatmeal / aloe in the summer and tea tree / aloe in the winter... Both smell nice and the tea tree / aloe in the winter helps with itching and dry skin (Gizmo LOVES to sit near the heat register). I wash him once per week and have not have many problems with him being "extra greasy" or "too dry". Maybe I have just been lucky.

But would still love to know when the sphynx suds is supposed to be available.

Pyramid

Lairian
LOL! I think when Sphynx Suds finally is released, it will be sold out quickly:BigSmile:

Earth bath is a great product, my mom uses it on her Pek's and they smell like heaven......

Back