Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bathing my Sphynx?

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I just got a new sphynx kitten "Nudie Patootie" and have a few bathing questions:
- How often? some say 1 xweek, some say 1 x 2weeks and 1 person said to just use baby wipes. I just want the best for her and her skin :)

- What's the best shampoo to use on their skin?

ktate88

Banned
I just got a new sphynx kitten "Nudie Patootie" and have a few bathing questions:
- How often? some say 1 xweek, some say 1 x 2weeks and 1 person said to just use baby wipes. I just want the best for her and her skin :)

All are different just like people and dogs. Some shampoos work better for others.

Niles was on Dove sensitive skin shower creme. He did great for a few weeks, but then broke out. Also was bathing him every 2-5 days-- grubby kitten! ;-)

I work at an animal hospital and as I was walking out one day noticed he has bumps on his back and really bad on his feet. My boss saw and we went to the shampoos "if this was my kitty I would do..."
-Pharmaseb soak on his feet(and any other really grubby or bumpy spots) for 10 minutes.
-Bath with gentle aloe and oatmeal shampoo.
-Comfort conditioner rinse after(was using lotion for dryness in just a few spots but was dirt magnet!)

All of those are made by Animal Pharmacueticals.

Whatever you use, try to get something gentle and avoid the eyes! (You can put a drop of mineral oil in their eyes if your worried about soap.)

laurame

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

Can I just say that I love the name "Nudie Patootie"!! Cracks me up!!

ktate88

Banned
what do you mean by "broke out" ? :)

and i am not sure if i understood completely.. the bumps on hes back and feet came from dirt???

Sorry, it was vague!

He got little pink bumps on most of his back. Almost rash looking. But just on the spinal area.

His feet also had pink bumps, but were more inflammed. Red, bigger more irritated bumps. Between his toes and pads had the blackhead type things-- very thick. Honestly I was cleaning/wiping/ picking at them every day or two.

I also changed litter around the same time to world's best cat litter. So I'm not sure if the feet breakout and black gunk was a combo to both. He's been doing great now. Has been 6 days since his bath-- longest time yet!

Back