Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Baths

NakidSquad4

Lairian
How did you accustom your nakids to getting a bath and cleaning their nails? Genevieve lets me clean her ear, but that is about it. She loves to get into the bathtub, so I filled it with about 1/4 water and she walked around in it. If I slowly increase the water do you think that will work? She hasn't been bathed in a month and is a little smell, but not greasy. Thanks for your assistance.

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We had a traumatic first bath experience in the bathtub a couple of weeks after we first got him... Butchie HATED it and desperately scrambled about to get out, slipping and sliding as he did! :cry: I felt like an awful new nakid mum!! After that he would worry about me and my hubby whenever we took showers or baths, as that big white thing was clearly a very dangerous place, and he'd always sit on the bathroom mat patiently waiting for us to get us! Concerned miaows would ensue if he thought we were taking too long... If we tried to pick him up in the vicinity of the bathtub, we'd be clawed all over arms and back (we would just forget sometimes... :()

I bought one of those large clear plastic storage boxes and started using that to bathe him in the kitchen instead, and it went okay! It wasn't until I realised what it was that he hated so much about the bathing that things got even better though - the slipping about! Duuuh :X3: I bought an anti-slip shower/bath mat and put that down so no more slipping and sliding! He still doesn't like baths, but it's okay now and not stressful, and we only need to do it monthly at most (y)

He did eventually overcome his fear of the big, bad bathtub and started venturing in there voluntarily (when empty!) to knock shampoo bottles and such about :ROFLMAO:

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It's definitely trial and error when it comes to bath time to be honest. When we got Orpheus the breeder said he wasn't a fan of baths and they used as little water as possible for him. We personally have found if it's super warm and filled all the way up he will tolerate it. He still isn't a fan but now just stands there and let's it happen haha but he used to try get out as much as possible.

I would recommend trying with maybe have a bath of water, warm like you would have and just see how you go. And antislip matt or a towel on the bottom helps with both the slipping and cleaning nails. Exfoliating gloves also help with keeping your grip on a soapy kitten haha. Just try make it a quick process and you will learn as you go. Every kitty is different and likes or dislikes other things :)

Sheldon13

Staff member
Oh I agree on using the gloves! I just brushed it off for a few years when people would suggest them, but it really has made things so much easier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I bathe Kenzo as needed, usually once every 5-6 weeks or so. He gets nails and ears done every week on Sundays. I had a lot of excellent advice from this site. Here is what worked for us:

Bath time :
Fill tub up to chest height (an inch over the belly) with water warm enough you would bathe in it. Do this first, then shut off faucet before you put your sphynx in. Many don’t like the sound of running water. I honestly believe that water height was the key to our bath success. We tried with less water, and he hated it. With the water up to their bellies, they say nice and warm throughout all the washing and rinsing.
• Similarly, have a reserve of clean rinse water available. That way you never need to turn the faucet back on during bath time.
• Use exfoliating gloves for grip and a good scrub.
• Hylyt is excellent. Whatever shampoo you use, make sure you rinse it off very well, then rinse one more time, lol.
• Give your cat soothing praises during the bath, and some high-value treats afterwards!!
• Swaddle up your sphynx in a soft, warm towel with arms and legs tucked in. Ready for part 2....

Nails:
Leave all legs swaddled up rather tightly, except the one you are working on. This is calming for the sphynx, and keeps them from wiggling free.
• Bring your kitty to a calm environment. We do ours in front of the fireplace now that it’s cold. Kenzo usually falls asleep.
• I prefer to do all 4 trims first, then rotate back again for wipe downs. Make sure your nail clippers are sharp! Dull blades cause pressure and discomfort (thanks @Catzzzmeow for that gem!).
• I found that precision Q-tips dipped in witch hazel are great for loosening the gunk around the nail beds. I follow up with a wipe down with an Honest Co baby wipe.
• After all nails are done, I give him another treat and some cuddles, then finish with ears!

Our first spa day attempt was a disaster. The next time, I tried all these tips, and it was a dream! Kenzo frequently jumps into the tub during/after our human baths now... cat clothes and all! Both of us genuinely enjoy spa days, strange as that may seem. Kenzo will purr and purr during his whole bath, and sleep through his nails. Ear cleanings, on the other-hand, are his least favorite. Maybe give some of these a shot and see what works for you?

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Baths are not easy at my place either but they are done once a month anyway. One tip that really helped me on Sphynxlair was one member suggested to make the water a little cooler than what I think it should be. That has helped. Plus I fill the tub with the water before I bring my kitty into the bathroom.

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I bathe Kenzo as needed, usually once every 5-6 weeks or so. He gets nails and ears done every week on Sundays. I had a lot of excellent advice from this site. Here is what worked for us:

Bath time :
Fill tub up to chest height (an inch over the belly) with water warm enough you would bathe in it. Do this first, then shut off faucet before you put your sphynx in. Many don’t like the sound of running water. I honestly believe that water height was the key to our bath success. We tried with less water, and he hated it. With the water up to their bellies, they say nice and warm throughout all the washing and rinsing.
• Similarly, have a reserve of clean rinse water available. That way you never need to turn the faucet back on during bath time.
• Use exfoliating gloves for grip and a good scrub.
• Hylyt is excellent. Whatever shampoo you use, make sure you rinse it off very well, then rinse one more time, lol.
• Give your cat soothing praises during the bath, and some high-value treats afterwards!!
• Swaddle up your sphynx in a soft, warm towel with arms and legs tucked in. Ready for part 2....

Nails:
Leave all legs swaddled up rather tightly, except the one you are working on. This is calming for the sphynx, and keeps them from wiggling free.
• Bring your kitty to a calm environment. We do ours in front of the fireplace now that it’s cold. Kenzo usually falls asleep.
• I prefer to do all 4 trims first, then rotate back again for wipe downs. Make sure your nail clippers are sharp! Dull blades cause pressure and discomfort (thanks @Catzzzmeow for that gem!).
• I found that precision Q-tips dipped in witch hazel are great for loosening the gunk around the nail beds. I follow up with a wipe down with an Honest Co baby wipe.
• After all nails are done, I give him another treat and some cuddles, then finish with ears!

Our first spa day attempt was a disaster. The next time, I tried all these tips, and it was a dream! Kenzo frequently jumps into the tub during/after our human baths now... cat clothes and all! Both of us genuinely enjoy spa days, strange as that may seem. Kenzo will purr and purr during his whole bath, and sleep through his nails. Ear cleanings, on the other-hand, are his least favorite. Maybe give some of these a shot and see what works for you?

Hmm, up to the belly? I have been filling it up about 5 inches... Will definitely try to put more in next time (y) Thanks for all the good tips!

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh bath time, Binky hates the bath so I use the gloves and get her in and out of there as quick as possible! Set everything up before hand n me and my hubby have to do it together as she is soo strong, when the diva antics start! Takes about 5 mins if that! I have tried everything water temp, different level, bathing her in a baby bath, toys! Came to the conclusion she just doesn’t like bathing!

Just stay calm, as I used think when I was bathing her I was hurting her as she screams throughout it, so I just sing to her haha, don’t know what’s worse!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Cinafina That’s around much I filled the tub the first time. Kenzo was fine when I would put him in, but as soon as I started to wash him, he would try desperately to escape. I can’t remember who recommended the high water :unsure:, but I read it somewhere here. We gave it a go, and it worked! Kenzo just hangs out there’s happy as can be. Before, I’d have to keep a firm grip on him the entire time, but when the water is high, I can let him go entirely.
Also, contrary to some people’s practices, I use like really warm, borderline hot, water. As warm as I use myself when I bathe... My thought process was that I enjoy very warm baths, and sphynx naturally have a much higher body temp than humans, so they would prefer warmer water as well. It works for us, but I’m sure each sphynx has their own preferences! I can’t keep Kenzo out of the tub these days. He loves it!

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Cinafina That’s around much I filled the tub the first time. Kenzo was fine when I would put him in, but as soon as I started to wash him, he would try desperately to escape. I can’t remember who recommended the high water :unsure:, but I read it somewhere here. We gave it a go, and it worked! Kenzo just hangs out there’s happy as can be. Before, I’d have to keep a firm grip on him the entire time, but when the water is high, I can let him go entirely.
Also, contrary to some people’s practices, I use like really warm, borderline hot, water. As warm as I use myself when I bathe... My thought process was that I enjoy very warm baths, and sphynx naturally have a much higher body temp than humans, so they would prefer warmer water as well. It works for us, but I’m sure each sphynx has their own preferences! I can’t keep Kenzo out of the tub these days. He loves it!
You have been blessed with a swimming kitty!

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My hubby sent me this pic last month when I was working, I did a double take as this kitty is binkys twin! I can dream bath time will be like this!

Attachments

• 7EFCF9AB-3277-4576-B717-2DD291AC8215.jpeg
    7EFCF9AB-3277-4576-B717-2DD291AC8215.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 28
Back