Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bathtime in our House

TotenEngel

Banned
OK, bath tub with nice warm water to chest height?... check
Rubber Ducky?....... check
Towel to cling onto in bottom of tub?..... check
Exfoliating gloves?..... check
Warm towel and jumper ready to go at the end of it all?..... check
Food ready as reward afterwards?.... check

Yet, this is what happens at bathtime in our house

Carnage?.... check!

I think the other cats thought their luck was in and we were killing him in the bathroom!
But no, more like the other way round!! Daddy even made the mistake of trying to give kisses..... cue glasses flying across the bathroom
One day, this might be easy lol

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Oh goodness...not good! lol Do you try talking softly with lots of pets and rub downs? Sounds like you may not even get time to do all that.

I wouldn't worry about the gloves, I find a washcloth works great. Maybe its too scratchy?? I hope it gets easier for you eventually.

TotenEngel

Banned
yup, we do the softly softly good boy, good boy all through it, even when he is trying to kill us both!! I'm chief holder so theres no chance of me getting any petting it, its all about trying to keep grip on a squirmy wet thing!!!
I thought the gloves were probably a good idea as it means it can all get done a bit quicker!!

TotenEngel

Banned
LOL, tried that too - usually try and grab him straight off the radiator, watch as kitten goes from asleep to awake in 0.04milliseconds!!
This time he was actually mooching around as we were filling the tub, so I tried just holding him over the top of it to watch it - even that freaks him :'(
I'm just hoping that enough times will get him used to it, if not even comfortable with it, hate him being so distressed

pooner

Banned
Wow, I guess we have it pretty lucky in our house. Pooner doesn't love it but he tolerates it very well. I will remember this post the next time I think I have it bad at bath time that way I will be brought back to reality and realize we have it pretty good :Laugh:

Sorry your bath time was soooo crazy,

susi794

Staff member
My Boo totally freaks and draws huge, bloody gashes up and down my arms and anyplace else he can make contact with. I am all alone, so it is very difficult to bathe him. Dulcinea also freaks out, but she's not a violent--she just SCREAMS. Habibi took one with me yesterday and was sweet as pie. Lulu is also good and can take one with me. The rest of mine tolerate but still don't like baths.
I don't fill the tub for Boo anymore. I put him in the empty one with several pitchers of water next to us. I get Boo wet, then lather him up as he's standing on a towel in the empty tub. Then I let him stand up on his hind legs against the tub and rinse him off with the water in the pitchers. I use a wet washcloth to do his face. In and out of there in about three minutes. Much less injury to me that way. A wash tub or baby tub would be even better--just need something to hold the water that I pour on him.
And as ElGatoLoco has taught us all--CLIP THE NAILS BEFORE THE BATH!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I'm certainly lucky when it comes to bath time!!

Snuffie does run and hide when she realizes what I'm doing but once she is in the tub she is fine and walks around looking at me with her sulky face. She loves getting her ears cleaned and hates getting her nails cleaned/clipped but I've gotten quick at it and she just meows MAMA the whole time and tenses up alot. No violence.

SoBe does the same, really good in the tub, fusses when I take her out because she is then cold so I swaddle her up in a warm towell. Hates getting her ears cleaned and she purrs when I clip and clean her nails.

I feel sorry for those of you who have a hard time. I'm so glad my girls don't mind it too much.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Dang, that's some serious scratchage. I don't let Pedda know I have anything planned. I fill the tub, dunk the washcloths in the water and put the shampoo on them, get my rinsing cloths and towel ready - then I wait a few minutes. Otherwise the victim will run and hide the moment she hears the water running. Sometimes she hides anyways. I bribe her out using Pounce cause she's a greedygut and can't resist them. Once the stage is set I snatch her up and proceed. I've found that if I keep her in the bathroom while the tub is filling that it just gives her more time to get herself all agitated and worked up.

TotenEngel

Banned
Marlene, we've tried it both ways, neither works!! This time he was interested so I thought I'd try and take advantage of that!! We do usually grab him half asleep but still have just as much trouble!!
He is fascinated by water and will watch a running tap, sit on my shoulder while I'm brushing my teeth etc etc its just going near it thats the problem!!
Just glad it wasnt a favourite t shirt

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't like to propose using drugs unless it's absolutely necessary, but maybe you should talk to you vet about possibly getting a sedative for bathtime? Oh, make sure your own tetanus shot is up to date too.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
What about NOT having him around the running water?
Nofuratu hates baths but is calm/frozen still in the tub...
but he gets very anxious if I hold him near running water....
He will come in and investigate while Im in the tub.....but if its empty and I pick him up while the water is still running.....he freaks!
How about aromatherapy? LOL
wow....poor you...
Im out of suggestions!

TotenEngel

Banned
The problem being he is fine watching running water, he finds it fascinating... until he has to go near it!!
Thanks for all the tips guys, I would never want to sedate him for something as 'silly' as bath time, plus it would be too frequent for me to be happy with it.
I'll look into the anxiety drops for him!! I have to be so on the ball to avoid major incidents that I daren't try anything for me!! He managed to do that much damage to my shirt, but I only got a few scratches on my arms haha. He ever went for my head at one point!
I'm hoping that time and practice will calm him down a bit, the main trouble being that it is such a drama that we put it off as much as possible!! Luckily he doesn't get too smelly so we can get away with bathing every few weeks rather than every week.
Though after yesterdays fiasco, he did then walk into the front room later with poo on his front leg and tail!! :Cry::Cry:

Gizzymom

Banned
Watch it!!! Or he may do this to you.... or the other kitties!!!

8b7f4e96-6105-4f65-bae1-eaaef4d5b339.jpg

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Thought you might appreciate that, Kat!!!

TotenEngel

Banned
Brilliant!!!
Love the dog comment, but then again I've always been a cat rather than dog person ;)
Maybe this is what Smeagol is trying to do when he jumps on our heads!!

Back