Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bathtime!!!

rikkuyuna

Lairian
My kitten Kimaree HATES bathtime. He doesnt seem to share my enthusiasm when it comes to getting clean. For him it is an opportunity to run, and hide for dear life as soon as he hears the taps running, and if he is unlucky enough to be found (which he is a rubbish hider) then it becomes a battle between me and him. He clings on to anything for dear life, any one would think I am trying to drown the poor thing! He stretches his long pink front legs out extends his claws, and latches on to the first thing he can, and goes stiff!!! He then meows loudly, I have to make sure all the windows are closed as if some innocent by passer should pass my home, they would think i am torturing some poor kitten! Today I bathed him, and had the door shut in case he got loose, he kept meowing, and my other bombay cat came running upstairs and was crying back to him. Probably thinking I was beating up kimaree-you should have seen the disgusted look I got from my bombay, when I appeared from the bathroom, with pink Kimaree wrapped in a towel like E.T. I have discovered he prefers a big bath to a sink, but is there a way to make them actually enjoy bathtime??? Im guessing its a longshot, my partner doesnt even "enjoy" bathing, and he is a human and at least half "civilised" So training my sphynx to love it seems mission impossible.
:Hysterical:

Please give advise!!! Thankyou!!!

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
my Bronxe is a TERROR in the tub!! i can't even begin to tell you! since finding this website i have come across some helpful hints, but he still HATES baths!! Some things i have found helpful:
-help from another human! (because obviously those kitties stay together lol), either my fiancee or step daughter will usually help me.
-grabbing him by his scruff (skin between shoulder blade), this helps A LOT!! it basically makes it so his front paws can't grab anything so then i only have to worry about his back paws.
-make sure who ever is helping you lathers their hands up with soap before you grab him(or while you're walking towards putting him in the water- so they get a little head start)
-lots of people on here swear by coconut oil. i have bought some, but have not used it yet, so i can't say how great it is, but lots of people swear by it.
-i find i have more control using the sink, but if you already know he works better in the tub i'd stick to that.
-have the water already filled so he doesn't have to hear the actual water (if that's possible)
-ive already hear playing soothing music helps (again, i have not yet used this method)

Good luck with bath time.

rikkuyuna

Lairian
Thanku!!!

I will have to get some coconut oil!!! He is getting better with bathtime, but he doesnt enjoy it!!! i guess the more i do it the more hell get used to it! :) xxx

Bella07

Banned
Good Luck with finding a way to get Kimaree to enjoy his baths! Love his pose in the photo though, but I know it's not quite that amusing when it is actually bath time. I can't offer any advice especially since my cats go to the groomer, and I'm still waiting to bring home a Sphynx of my home. But, I'm sure those threads klreese posted will be more than helpful! My thoughts are with you, so Best of Luck!

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Not much to do except the obvious.
NEVER scare the cat with water or try to train it with squirts of water like some do. It will remember it for the rest of it's days.
Don't show them the surface of the water before you put them in the tub, the moving surface of water scares almost every cat if he realises that he is going in there. I always put my hand over the cats eyes when I take him to the tub and don't let go until he stands in the water.
Talk calmly and no sudden movements if possible, even if he fights you.
I always have one hand under the cat in the armpits of the front legs keeping the front paws a bit above ground as much as possible. They tend to fight you a bit less if they only have the rear paws on the ground is my experience.

Most importantly maybe. Do not cut the claws after the bath or the day after. Always the day before. ;) Not just before bacause then it's just two bad things after another, the day before is best imo, no extra stress on bath day and no sharp claws on bath day either.

Gizzymom

Banned
I always put my hand over the cats eyes when I take him to the tub and don't let go until he stands in the water.
Talk calmly and no sudden movements if possible, even if he fights you.

It sounds like Darwin is going to the firing squad!!!:Dizzy:

What the heck is going on over in Sweden???? LOLOLOLOLOL

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It sounds like Darwin is going to the firing squad!!!:Dizzy:

What the heck is going on over in Sweden???? LOLOLOLOLOL

:ThumbsUp:
Not to worry. have him in my arms petting him at the same time. He dont mind at all. I don't force him to the tub. Pet, talk and kiss him a bit while keeping hand over the eyes the last couple of yards. It's way better than letting them see the surface, then you will have to force them in for sure.

MELODIEROCK

Lairian
I feel for ya. Arty is the absolutely worst for bath time. I'm in a wheelchair and have no balance, so washing him in the bathroom sink is quite entertaining. I usually come out more wet then he. I have to hobble his two front legs with my left hand and wash him down with my right. I've had to get creative and always up for sugestions as well. lol

Back