Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kotonok

Lairian
Hello all my cool Feline lovers! I was hoping for some advice.

So doing some digging on here I realized Migi’s (the cat in question) bumps could be due to some allergies which is tricky to pin down. So far they only really appear on his front paws/ on one side on the ear opening like in the pictures posted. He’s never really been a big fan of ear cleanings but I have tried tonight and he was not having it, he put up more of a fight than he usually does, closing his ears/hiding away his head. His paws an his nails/surround of it will have those bumps and at times be red, upon further investigation it’ll have Sedum (like those with stretched ears tend to get on) which will cause him to be the only times he’ll growl/be angry with me when I try to clean them, after I clean it away he looks better the next day.The newest way I’ve tried to clean his ears is using Q tips to scrape all the junk he collects, I try not to get super deep inside but I do also use the ear cleaner but it dosnt always do the best, it’ll also cause his ears to get red and overall miserable. With his nails I scrape the nails with an exfoliate glove, I don’t use any product.

I guess my main question is what are you tips on cleaning you're sphynx ear fully clean, their nails and so forth. Any advice or does his behavior toward ears and nails cause of concern?

Attachments

• 647A8E9D-DED4-4399-AEF6-EAA702F6238C.jpeg
    647A8E9D-DED4-4399-AEF6-EAA702F6238C.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 1441F72F-910B-4790-B82B-0FFE6C3965C5.jpeg
    1441F72F-910B-4790-B82B-0FFE6C3965C5.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 0CA7397F-01DF-4F04-9EFD-107A455DF151.jpeg
    0CA7397F-01DF-4F04-9EFD-107A455DF151.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 14

Kotonok

Lairian
I tried to clean his ears as in the photos but with him being uncomfortable/late at night. I’ve decided it was best to wait till tomorrow. He’s happy am having the zoonoses with him brother. I just want to help minimize his discomfort/misery when it comes to cleaning :/

VolkoSimone

Lairian
I wrap my guys up in a blanket like a burrito for cleaning. They dislike it but they love being clean afterwards.

I moisten a qtip or cotton pad with ear cleaning solution to get it in there, then I wipe out with a baby wipe and just clean up whatever is left with a dry qtip.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kotonok , hugs n head smooches to adorable Migi. over 15 yrs ago a vet got me hooked on trizultra with keto to clean ears. I like, and they like it is near scent free. I wet swissper cotton rounds ( I get at walmart) with laying brand qtips on top then wetting both.

I put kitties on my lap on while I sit on the bathroom vanity chair.
I gently wipe first inside of ears with the swissper wetted rounds.
then wipe the ears with the wetted qtips gently in the nooks and entrance of canal.

I hold my one hand gentle cradling under neck, with my thumb my the base of head/ear I gentle hold back. with the other hand I wipe with the qtips.
then followed by rewipe with the swissper cotton round. they love that like a little ear massage.

I tried epi otic and some other brands but they were so scented they hated spa day.

I use the trizultra too on swissper rounds to gently wipe around nails. I used my fingers to gentle hold back and gently push on the nail folds at base of nail that can hide gunk. been doing this routine for about 11 yrs and no ear issues. Trizultra is a game changer for me for my pups and kitty crew. I get it online, allivet ,chewy etc . non rx. my vet carries it too.

never had an ear issue for 15 yrs since using it.

I also do inbetween spa day wipe downs with trizultra on large square cotton rounds, I wipe armpits tummies bumms tails, under chins, legs , just not on head near eyes. they can go forever it seems between full spa days. no skin issues. I gently pat dry after.

I used on all 5 of my nakids for over a decade.

hugs n head smooches

Attachments

• trizultra.jpg
    trizultra.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 9
  • swisspers.jpeg
    swisspers.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 8
  • swisspers.jpg
    swisspers.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 8

Kotonok

Lairian
Thank you! For the advice and help, I’ve seen this product circulating in some threads here I’m going to try this and hopefully he won’t hate spa day so much :D

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kotonok , truly was a game changer for spa day here. claire bare loves her ear spay day. purrs and cant wait for me to get the wetted swissper in her ears for a massage. keep us updated. I get the 12 oz bottle.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Did you try wiping the ear with only a baby wipe? My boy Ross goes nuts when I use a q tip or any kind of ear solution. When I only use a baby wipe he tolerates it

Kotonok

Lairian
Did you try wiping the ear with only a baby wipe? My boy Ross goes nuts when I use a q tip or any kind of ear solution. When I only use a baby wipe he tolerates it
I have not, he gets really defensive or really does not like when I touch one of his ears. The other one he semi tolerates but as soon as I try to other one he refuses. Tends to be the dirtiest one as well

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kotonok , I put a cloth on my lap with some treats or perhaps those churos treats in a tube for positive reinforcement/distraction
keep us updated, hugs n head smooches.

tennisplayer

Lairian
Also, when making a cat burrito make sure it is Spicy and Hot along w/ a side of Salsa. Just kidding or at least a little. So when making a burrito notice that in the prep, the tortilla is heated for extra goodness. Do this by throwing your blanket or towel in the laundry dryer for 15 minutes to get it toasty before wrapping the main ingredients (the kitty cat). This will give the cat burrito flavor. Now enjoy :)

Also for the ears we use a warm white wash cloth so we can get a feel for how much ear funk is being removed and as a reference for future cleanings.