Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Behaviour Question?

sphynxmamagrim

Lairian
Hey all, new user here! I've never been a part of an online fourm or anything so this is a new territory to me!
anyways,
Im a sphynx mama to a 13 month old male naked cat who the last couple days has begun to pee outside of his litter box, in a totally different room than it is located. I adopted him when he was 7 months old and was already neutered. My assumption is that it is a behaviour issue due to possible stress. We recently adopted a puppy into the household. And Gus (my sphynx) isn't too happy about her. He is curious of the dog, and he approaches and sniffs her but he is timid and tends to run when she barks or if she approaches him. Just looking for insight as to when I should be concerned if it is a medical condition opposed to behavioural and how to correct this new behaviour he is exhibiting.
* he still uses his litter box, just once or twice a day he has been peeing by the front door now. The litter box is kept clean and scooped about 3 times daily. No new chnages to food or litter type.

Attachments

• IMG_7210.JPG
    IMG_7210.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 14

Natalie Murphy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Bless your little man and new puppy. Welcome to this group. Their are so many fabulous ladies here who will give you such awesome insight and advice as they too have dogs living with them and their Sphynx’s. I unfortunate only have the 1 Sphynx male.
But have you considered getting more litter trays around the house. If he is always using the same area or room to pee In I would place another litter tray there and one at your front door. He may feel or be ambushed by the puppy when he goes to his litter tray so he is forced to go somewhere else. I am really curious as to what the other ladies would suggest

sphynxmamagrim

Lairian
Bless your little man and new puppy. Welcome to this group. Their are so many fabulous ladies here who will give you such awesome insight and advice as they too have dogs living with them and their Sphynx’s. I unfortunate only have the 1 Sphynx male.
But have you considered getting more litter trays around the house. If he is always using the same area or room to pee In I would place another litter tray there and one at your front door. He may feel or be ambushed by the puppy when he goes to his litter tray so he is forced to go somewhere else. I am really curious as to what the other ladies would suggest
Thank you for some input! Gussie boys litter is in the bedroom and the puppy doesn’t go in there at all but I will totally consider looking into more litter trays if it will help! Anything really to nip this new behaviour in the butt before he makes it a frequent habit :)

pussiette

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would have at least two litter trays. I would use a enzymatic cleaner such as Biozet. I would think this is from stress and could also be FLUTD. Good luck at the vet.

sphynxmamagrim

Lairian
Thought you might find this helpful. Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box

I personally would start with a vet visit to rule out a UTI. Are you cleaning the area with an enzymatic cleaner? If not, you should pick one up as cats tend to keep going in the same area. Here is an example of one.
b8637105848c082c8cd6fca93b27afb7.jpg
@sphynxmamagrim
I picked up some of this spray as he decided to pee at the door again tonight. I also talked on the phone with the after hours emerg vet and explained what’s going on. They suggested calling my regular vet and get him in to be tested for UTI to rule it out but from the signs he’s exhibiting it’s most likely him marking his territory and being stressed to the new furry addition. I will be getting him into the vet as soon as possible.

sphynxmamagrim

Lairian
Hey all, new user here! I've never been a part of an online fourm or anything so this is a new territory to me!
anyways,
Im a sphynx mama to a 13 month old male naked cat who the last couple days has begun to pee outside of his litter box, in a totally different room than it is located. I adopted him when he was 7 months old and was already neutered. My assumption is that it is a behaviour issue due to possible stress. We recently adopted a puppy into the household. And Gus (my sphynx) isn't too happy about her. He is curious of the dog, and he approaches and sniffs her but he is timid and tends to run when she barks or if she approaches him. Just looking for insight as to when I should be concerned if it is a medical condition opposed to behavioural and how to correct this new behaviour he is exhibiting.
* he still uses his litter box, just once or twice a day he has been peeing by the front door now. The litter box is kept clean and scooped about 3 times daily. No new chnages to food or litter type.
* update!

Gus went to the vet and is clear of any infections and it is a beahvioural issue we’re experiencing! I was given Feliway spray to start with and see if there are any improvements :)

Attachments

• 0D852B25-6E06-4A34-AF80-19F5AA7DD368.jpeg
    0D852B25-6E06-4A34-AF80-19F5AA7DD368.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 7

nudebea

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Our little girl sphynx did initially pee outside of her litter tray and also near the front door. Like others have suggested , we do have more than one litter tray and did use the enzymatic cleaners , read the label for how to use it effectively, there is also something called a black light which shows up urine that can't be normally seen so it makes it easier to treat other areas where they may have sprinkled. Plus a Felliway diffuser or two dotted about the house and rotes of hugs and attention and she did stop peeing outside her litter eventually so hang on in there xxx

sphynxmamagrim

Lairian
Update No. 2 and looking for more advice

So Gus is still periodically peeing outside the litter box, now moving to new locations. Today twice that I caught him doing. Feliway has had no affect. I have a defusser going as well as a small spray bottle for the bedroom.
My poor boy. I am going to be calling my vet in the morning for more information on what next steps I should be taking. I still believe it’s stress related to the puppy. The live on opposite floors of the house but he can still smell her and hear her. Usually the peeing happens when she cries or if shoes or clothing the dog has been around are near him.
I will most likely have another urinalysis done for good measure. Last visit they mentioned medication , anyone have experience with anxious kitties taking meds?

Attachments

• 8A0C0F89-C03B-4CAF-9BD0-31E2E5C12081.jpeg
    8A0C0F89-C03B-4CAF-9BD0-31E2E5C12081.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 4

Yoda mom

Staff member
@sphynxmamagrim , thanks for keeping us updated. always good to rule out a stress UTI. my toby at 11mos old was anxious of newness. I took the bedding or article of clothing and a bag of treats . I put the treat on the item and gave praise. diffusers were horrible with him. He would walk up, sniff and growl tail twitch. so took them away.

my bengal adoptee years ago was put on buspirone (buspar) for a very short time. I took him off of it.
I trained him like dog instead of the meds. everytime he went in the litter box I gave praise and a treat on the floor as soon as he got out. did it randomly his whole life.

be sure to clean any spots he has marked. a cheap black light flashlight, around 6 dollars US can get online, to go around and will light up areas. a breeder recommended mr max's anti icky poo, comes scented and unscented. their is more info on the website. I got some to keep on hand when I adopted and also use it to spray dog/cat beds lightly before washing. my vet sells it, found it cheaper online.

Toby has always been sensitive to any changes. I got him a onefast cat exercise wheel. He loves it. I tell him go toby go go fast and he meows happy and runs faster. my other kitties could care less about the wheel and refuse to use it no matter how much I tried to train them to it. they rather watch him run.
so can be a hit or miss. I also notice if he get nervous about anything different (like my dog having a seizure) he goes to it like a pacifier and takes a stroll.

surely members will chime in with tips.. please keep us updated all paws are family. . hugs n head smooches adorable Gus. and what is your puppies name? pic ? :)

Attachments

• anti icky poo scented.jpg
    anti icky poo scented.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 3
  • anti icky poo unscented.jpg
    anti icky poo unscented.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 4

sphynxmamagrim

Lairian
@sphynxmamagrim , thanks for keeping us updated. always good to rule out a stress UTI. my toby at 11mos old was anxious of newness. I took the bedding or article of clothing and a bag of treats . I put the treat on the item and gave praise. diffusers were horrible with him. He would walk up, sniff and growl tail twitch. so took them away.

my bengal adoptee years ago was put on buspirone (buspar) for a very short time. I took him off of it.
I trained him like dog instead of the meds. everytime he went in the litter box I gave praise and a treat on the floor as soon as he got out. did it randomly his whole life.

be sure to clean any spots he has marked. a cheap black light flashlight, around 6 dollars US can get online, to go around and will light up areas. a breeder recommended mr max's anti icky poo, comes scented and unscented. their is more info on the website. I got some to keep on hand when I adopted and also use it to spray dog/cat beds lightly before washing. my vet sells it, found it cheaper online.

Toby has always been sensitive to any changes. I got him a onefast cat exercise wheel. He loves it. I tell him go toby go go fast and he meows happy and runs faster. my other kitties could care less about the wheel and refuse to use it no matter how much I tried to train them to it. they rather watch him run.
so can be a hit or miss. I also notice if he get nervous about anything different (like my dog having a seizure) he goes to it like a pacifier and takes a stroll.

surely members will chime in with tips.. please keep us updated all paws are family. . hugs n head smooches adorable Gus. and what is your puppies name? pic ? :)times now since my

surely members will chime in with tips.. please keep us updated all paws are family. . hugs n head smooches adorable Gus. and what is your puppies name? pic ? :)
Thank you! He has done two more pees since my post zero of which have been in a clean litter box. I wish it was easier to give a definite answer as to what is going on. He’s acting as usual, hyper and playful!
And my puppy is named Nyx! She is a German Shepard

Attachments

• 206740F7-257D-4025-8A2F-755DFEE2F266.jpeg
    206740F7-257D-4025-8A2F-755DFEE2F266.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 5

sphynxmamagrim

Lairian
Anti icky poo has been ordered ✅
Visited the vet this afternoon;
He has been given hills prescription diet c/d multicare stress dry cat food, as well as two prescription medications. One for anxiety and one for anti inflammatory. Fingers crossed this makes an improvement

Yoda mom

Staff member
@sphynxmamagrim , thank you for keeping us updated. hugs n head smooches to adorables Gus and Nyx :)
. what meds prescribed? I have fed the c/d in the past. let me know how gus likes it. I weaned him off and for years feed nutrisource cat and kitten and hills urinary hairball formula. ( I read years ago hairball formulas can help with poo bcz of the fiber). I feed and go no issues.

I have both the scented and unscented anti icky poo. I spray lightly on dogs beds, cat blankets when I wash . works fine for years in my HE wash machine. I got a little black light flashlight to keep on hand. I used it years ago when I bought a house that had kitties.

keep us updated! all paws crossed. You may find Gus also improves once he settles with his new bestie Nyx. my kittles looove the dogs. (aussie and rottie) they play together with a tennis ball. Toby when he got anxious when I had a new aussie puppy , I put several tennis balls in a sock tied on the end and he would kick the snot out of it :)

all paws crossed for good news updates. sharing, for pills I use a little pill popper with a rubber tip on the end.

hugs n head smooches! look forward to more pics and tales of Gus and Nyx. :)

71LldSvH6xS._AC_UL320_.jpg