Welcome to the Sphynxlair community! A community dedicated to the Sphynx breed!

Bella is growing whiskers!!

Hi all. My tortie Bella is five months old and has started growing whiskers. Is this normal? Will they fall out? Yes, I'm a new Sphynx owner. Another question; are there anesthetics and meds to avoid with a Sphynx? I've heard different things. Bella has stolen my heart. She's a real cutie and her favorite play thing lately is her tail. Any help with my questions and advice to a new Sphynx parent would be just awesome.

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mine grow whiskers every now and then but you can pluck them out without hurting them. Curly has wire like hair on her tail and she takes when you pull on those so I just leave them.

Tiffany_Kay

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My tortie grows whiskers every winter when she gets the fuzzies...

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all. My tortie Bella is five months old and has started growing whiskers. Is this normal? Will they fall out? Yes, I'm a new Sphynx owner. Another question; are there anesthetics and meds to avoid with a Sphynx? I've heard different things. Bella has stolen my heart. She's a real cutie and her favorite play thing lately is her tail. Any help with my questions and advice to a new Sphynx parent would be just awesome.
It's perfectly normal for sphynx cats to sometimes grow whiskers. The breed profile reads "Whiskers may be present, either whole or broken, or may be totally absent." Also it has been known for cats with underlying health issues to have complications and even death with the anesthesia Ketamine.

@curlysue - I don't know if I would pull the whiskers out. Although they are a just a thick "hair" on the outside- they are connected to sensitive muscle tissue on the inside of the whisker pad that effect nerves and sensory cells that go directly to the brain. Even if they are long, short or not even visually present on the sphynx, they still work as they would on a normal cat. :)

Thank you admin for the stuff on ketamine. I've written down a few things to take with me to the vet this weekend when we talk about Bella's spay. I still can't imagine that beautiful Buddha belly with a scar.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you admin for the stuff on ketamine. I've written down a few things to take with me to the vet this weekend when we talk about Bella's spay. I still can't imagine that beautiful Buddha belly with a scar.
Its tiny, you must likely won't even see it once healed. :)

Crinkuls

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Scar less than half a centimetre so is unnoticeable. Now my other sphynx Princess has a nasty scar but hers was a difficult op as an adult and even with a cone of shame on,she still managed to get in there and have a good old rummage. Untold damage done as she had been given a lot of pain relief. Emergency op for her!! All turned out ok but you can definately see her scar!!
image.jpg

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If this helps, this is the list I gave my vet, who actually knew this... but better to be safe.

Do not use the following medications and chemicals on Max:

· Ketamine (almost poisonous to Sphynx)

· Clavamox (does not work well on most Sphynx)

· Leukemia vaccination (very bad for Sphynx)

· FIP vaccination (can cause issues for Sphynx)

· Rabies vaccination (can cause issues for Sphynx)

· Amoxicillin (Sphynx don’t do well on it)

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ickus would grow stubby whiskers now and then, but they would eventually fall out.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
image.jpg

Cleopatra grows stubby, funky whiskrs and eyebrows that break off when they get to be about 1/2 inch long. Marcus A.A. has never grown a whisker (yet!).

My little one grew some whiskers once. They were lovely. Then she got stuck inside my duvet cover when I was at work and obviously struggled to get out so she rubbed them all off. But they're on their way back, huzzah!